MX-1 set-up question before I buy

Forum for Aira
SynthGraphics

MX-1 set-up question before I buy

Post by SynthGraphics »

I'm hoping to hook up the following and send all MIDI I/O and AUDIO using a single USB cords for each to the MX-1, which I'm hoping it will do for a really clean simple setup :)

MX-1 USB ports:
1. System-1
2. TR-8
3. JU-06 (needs to get power from MX-1)
4. JD-XA (will assign CC mapping to program the JU-06!)

Then route my MOTU 828MKIII audio into the MX-1 over 2-channel SPDIF for all my analog vintage gear.

I'm also wondering since the JU-06 is only 24-bit 44.1k will it force the MX-1 (and other gear) down to 44.1k or will the MX-1 'up-sample' the incoming audio?

Cheers,
Jamie
Goon

Re: MX-1 set-up question before I buy

Post by Goon »

You can adjust the MX1 sample rate.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Goon wrote:You can adjust the MX1 sample rate.
My main question is since the TR-8, System-1 and JD-XA only run at 96k. So how does the MX-1 handle something like the JU-06 that's only 44.1k with them all plugged it? Does the MX-1 upsample the JU signal to 96k or does it down-sample the other gear to 44.1?

And what happens if I hook up a S-760 via SPDIF as well?

Thanks
Goon

Post by Goon »

Once again you can alter the rate via the MX1, you have a choice of 96, 48 or 44.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Goon wrote:Once again you can alter the rate via the MX1, you have a choice of 96, 48 or 44.
And once you do .. everything will be at 44.1. If the MX1 is set at 44.1 and you plug in something to the digital I/O at a different rate .. you will get no audio obviously
Inkog

Post by Inkog »

SynthGraphics wrote:
My main question is since the TR-8, System-1 and JD-XA only run at 96k. So how does the MX-1 handle something like the JU-06 that's only 44.1k with them all plugged it? Does the MX-1 upsample the JU signal to 96k or does it down-sample the other gear to 44.1?

And what happens if I hook up a S-760 via SPDIF as well?

Thanks
Audio via the USB ports will be resampled to the MX1 settings. I run at my MX-1 @ 48 and my Tr-8 and JD-XA @ 96 work just fine via Aria link USB. Their is some attenuation apparent from the resampling, but is easily overcome with a bit of gain on the channel. I can't confirm the behavior of the digital SPDIF port, but I plan to pick up a 48k analog -> digital converter anyway.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Inkog wrote:
Audio via the USB ports will be resampled to the MX1 settings. I run at my MX-1 @ 48 and my Tr-8 and JD-XA @ 96 work just fine via Aria link USB. Their is some attenuation apparent from the resampling, but is easily overcome with a bit of gain on the channel. I can't confirm the behavior of the digital SPDIF port, but I plan to pick up a 48k analog -> digital converter anyway.
That's good news! Thanks!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Heads up I find the midi capabilities of the USB cable setup to only send sync and audio data, not note messages... I still use midi cables to hook up stuff I want to control (like controlling some boutiques - the USB cable doesn't send the notes to the module via the MX-1).
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Myrk- wrote:Heads up I find the midi capabilities of the USB cable setup to only send sync and audio data, not note messages... I still use midi cables to hook up stuff I want to control (like controlling some boutiques - the USB cable doesn't send the notes to the module via the MX-1).
Well that totally kills it for me. Not being able to send MIDI info from my DAW to Aira synths via MX-1 USB is total deal killer. I was under the assumption the MX-1 worked more or less like a USB hub??
sbontrager

Post by sbontrager »

I send note data to my System-1 via the MX-1 all the time, same for my TB3. Each USB port shows up as a MIDI device (on OS X); just use that and make sure you've got the channel correct as well and it "just works."

I see (and I'm doing this from memory)
MX-1
MX-1 (ctl)
MX-1 USB-1
MX-1 USB-2 (ctl)

Just pick which ever port you've got your module plugged into.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

You're talking DAW's, that's different. I utilize mine in a fully hardware setup, and I have never got the MX-1 to do midi-thru via the USB from incoming midi connection or another usb device plugged into the MX-1. I'm pretty sure this is another one of Rolands sneaky wording, combining sentences in locality to make it sound like USB host ports send midi data (in a hardware non-PC configuration). The manual says you can send midi via the main USB port, but nothing about sending/receiving/thru midi with the host ports. Really for me the USB's just act as slightly smaller audio cables - I still have midi cables chaining all over the place.

Example: I have a boutique plugged into Port 3 of the MX-1, and I have an Arturia Keystep plugged in via midi to the MX-1. One would assume I just select midi channel 13 on the keystep (the channel I assigned my boutique) and just play, right? Doesn't work. I have to have an additional midi cable from the MX-1 to the boutique for this to function. Hopefully someone can tell me I'm forgetting something, cus otherwise it's a massive oversight of functionality.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Myrk- wrote:You're talking DAW's, that's different. I utilize mine in a fully hardware setup, and I have never got the MX-1 to do midi-thru via the USB from incoming midi connection or another usb device plugged into the MX-1. I'm pretty sure this is another one of Rolands sneaky wording, combining sentences in locality to make it sound like USB host ports send midi data (in a hardware non-PC configuration). The manual says you can send midi via the main USB port, but nothing about sending/receiving/thru midi with the host ports. Really for me the USB's just act as slightly smaller audio cables - I still have midi cables chaining all over the place.

Example: I have a boutique plugged into Port 3 of the MX-1, and I have an Arturia Keystep plugged in via midi to the MX-1. One would assume I just select midi channel 13 on the keystep (the channel I assigned my boutique) and just play, right? Doesn't work. I have to have an additional midi cable from the MX-1 to the boutique for this to function. Hopefully someone can tell me I'm forgetting something, cus otherwise it's a massive oversight of functionality.
I finally pulled the trigger on the MX-1 and got one. You are correct it WILL NOT send MIDI notes from one device to another in standalone mode. Takes a DAW or router program like MIDIOX.

A few things I did notice - good and bad.

1) It does indeed up or down sample to whatever you want. So hooking up a 44.1 device doesn't force all the 96k devices to down-sample. That's good.

2) For some reason the volume knob and Mute button on the JD-XA has no effect when hooked to MX-1 - that's a little annoying since the volume knob still works the on the TR-8 and System-1?

3) The DAW will record Beat FX audio but ignores Master FX? Doesn't record it to the audio track? Only Beat FX gets recording in the audio? Is this a setting I'm missing?

4) The audio levels sent to the DAW from the MX-1 are VERY VERY low. Even if set the gains high on each channel - which in turn makes the levels too hot in the MX-1 itself. Best I can do is about -12 -15 level in the DAW!?! Again, could be setting Im missing - too bad Roland has such crappy manuals these days and just basic fold out map.
Inkog

Post by Inkog »

Interesting findings. I quickly discovered #2 myself. The JD-XA has a unique audio & midi over usb implementation that's for sure.

I'm surprised at #3 as I hadn't tried recording a full performance, but I was able to verify your findings. The External Mixing Mode supplementary manual clearly states channel 17/18 as "Same sound as the MIX OUT jacks". - *EDIT* Scratch that, I'm not sure what I did the first time around, but I tried again and I do get the full mix including mastering and master effects from 17/18 while in External Mode. I tested BFX, filter, MFX and Mastering on/off, all came through in the recording to an audio track in Live setup with Audio From: 17/18 (Audio To: Sends Only).

I don't have the sever attenuation problems as you describe. The USB audio is attenuated some but nothing just a bit of gain doesn't fix.

Just to preface, I'm a Live user and run my MX-1 in Ext. @ 48k. I gain stage my external gear and Live clips around -10 dB peak. This generally gets me to where I want the levels going into the MX-1 or Live for the mix and a bit of mastering. As for USB, my TB-3 needs gain of ~12, the JD-XA ~10, and about the same for the TR-8 depending on what's going on. The only detectable noise floor in Live via the spectrum analyzer is about -125dB on the JD-XA. I have a Stanton STR8 analog turntable coming into 5/6 via a cheap external powered preamp. This needs quite a bit of gain ~18 and has a noise floor around -70dB, but I attribute that to the preamp. I've needed no gain on the mono analog ins (I need to turn them down for gain staging), their noise floor is better than -110dB on each (TR-8 assignables and a Boss DS-330 currently).

I purchased an analog to 48k digital converter to make use of the coaxial in, but it was DOA.

My only guess is your trying for unity gain which isn't want you want mixing.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Do you have the mastering switch on? It has a large boost to the output volume.