Question for TR-8 owners

Forum for Aira
HotMachete

Question for TR-8 owners

Post by HotMachete »

Can someone explain how the expansions for the TR-8 work? Specifically, if I buy a used TR-8 that already has the 7X7 expansion, what happens if I someday have to do a factory reset on the TR-8? Would the 7X7 expansion still be there, or would only the original owner be able to add it back?
HaveIt

Re: Question for TR-8 owners

Post by HaveIt »

The exact details of applying the expansion are secret to prevent everyone getting the additional drums without paying for it. The 707 and 606 kits are already in the firmware, the purchase just unlocks the extra kits. The expansion is unlocked by permanently storing a key in the firmware. This is not affected by upgrading or downgrading the firmware. The key will not disappear unless there is a catastrophic hardware fault. I doubt there could be a situation where the TR-8 is working but needs the key reinstalled.

If the TR-8 is replaced, you cannot install the key on the replaced unit. It is a one time activation on one machine only. If your TR-8 is stolen, you would have to buy the expansion pack again.
HotMachete

Re: Question for TR-8 owners

Post by HotMachete »

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.