Creating ghost notes on the TR-8

Forum for Aira
Bodde

Creating ghost notes on the TR-8

Post by Bodde »

I have a hard time creating ghost notes on the TR-8 and I am not sure if it is possible or not. I know how to get weak accents by holding down the inst and step knobs (dimmed light). But these weak accents are not very weak and just a tiny bit softer than normal notes. For ghost notes they should be softer. Is that possible?

Also you can use the delay for it but it is kind of hard to get it in sync. Normally I use dotted 8ths or dotted 4th delay on the snare for that kind of stuff. But it is hard to get the sweet spot in the delays both tonally and timing wise. I feel the delays are a bit lacking on the TR-8 in general.

Any tips or suggestions for this?
Bodde

Re: Creating ghost notes on the TR-8

Post by Bodde »

I guess no interest in ghost notes?

I read this on another forum, but I am not sure if I understand this:
FYI, you get full/half intensity steps and accent/half accent steps on the TR-8, for 4 levels of note velocity.

I know how to enter the half accents, but how do you get 4 levels of velocity?
Inkog

Post by Inkog »

Bodde wrote:I guess no interest in ghost notes?

FYI, you get full /half intensity steps and accent/half accent steps on the TR-8, for 4 levels of note velocity.

For example:
Half intensity note lvl: 50
Regular note level: 100

Accent adds 27

So you can have a note that is 50, 77, 100, or 127.
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

Inkog wrote:
Bodde wrote:I guess no interest in ghost notes?

FYI, you get full /half intensity steps and accent/half accent steps on the TR-8, for 4 levels of note velocity.

For example:
Half intensity note lvl: 50
Regular note level: 100

Accent adds 27

So you can have a note that is 50, 77, 100, or 127.
Yes but you are mixing individual instrument level with global accents in your example(?). That way you are also accenting other instrument that are on the same beat.

For individual instruments you only have two levels (normal and half). And half level still sounds too loud for ghost notes. Half level sounds louder to me than half, it more 75% or so. For my taste and application it could be softer.
Inkog

Post by Inkog »

That is true. I wish accenting was per channel. You also have flam rudiment notes available that might be what they were referring to?
zedius

Post by zedius »

Ha! I thought I was the only person who asked about this. I will mention that flam is not useful for this as the velocity of each hit is the same. I'm investigating now for the TR-8s to see if there is a viable solution on that.
Nig

Post by Nig »

On the 8S you have two levels of Note/Flam/Substep plus two levels of Accent. Both the note velocity and accent level can be adjusted using the accent level knob, although I'm still working out if they have separate settings or share the value. The display implies they are the same but the values show up different for the note value and accent in midi-ox, which sort of seems right to me.