Ableton and MX-1 multiple ins/outs ..... what are they all?

Forum for Aira
Boston Green

Ableton and MX-1 multiple ins/outs ..... what are they all?

Post by Boston Green »

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about all the ins and outs listed in ableton when I've got my mx-1 connected. I eventually, by trial and error (enabling and disabling the ins and outs in config) found that live is outputting on mx-1 channels 17/18.

Anyone tell me what the other ins/outs correspond to?

Many thanks
Boston

(MX-1, TR-8, RB-3, System 1)
Inkog

Re: Ableton and MX-1 multiple ins/outs ..... what are they a

Post by Inkog »

It really is quite simple. If your in external mode on the MX1 and enable the I/o correctly in live, you'll have 4 mono ins 1-4 and 9 stereo ins 1/2 - 17/18 (1/2 & 3/4 are your 4 mono channels as stereo pairs) these all correlate to the ins on the back of the MX1. So for example, if you've plugged in a Tb-3 to USB 3, Live will see that audio on stereo pair 13/14. If you plugged in your iPod to the 1/8" jack, that's 5/6.

The outs in Live all correspond to the 11 faders on the MX1. Now if you wanted to control the volume of the TB-3 via the MX-1, you'd route the audio to any one of the outs you'd like, meaning you can put it on any fader/channel you want. The channels are marked on the front except for the digital and 4 USB channels, but they are 7/8 and 9/10 - 15/16 respectively. 17/18 is the USB connection to your PC and is reserved for audio coming from your PC typically.
Boston Green

Post by Boston Green »

Ahh, thank you, thought it would be along those lines. I'm only using ableton to record from the system1 and playback loops, routed into the mx1. think i've got it all set up right now. thanks again for your input.
Boston Green

Post by Boston Green »

and i presume the mx1ctrl ones are when using the mx1 to control ableton directly (the feature added in the update)
Inkog

Post by Inkog »

I believe now you are referring to the MIDI channels and not audio. The MX1 and Aria Link (USB) ports expose both a regular MIDI channel meant for note messages and a second control channel (CTRL) meant for CC and/or Sysex messages.
Boston Green

Post by Boston Green »

top man, thanks