Aggregating two MX-1s

Forum for Aira
syver

Aggregating two MX-1s

Post by syver »

Greetings,

With the new System-8 and Boutique gear, I find myself dreaming of more Aira-Link inputs in my setup.

I mostly use the MX-1 as input/output audio interface in Ableton Live to jam in External Mixing mode.

Has anyone tried creating an aggregate device with two MX-1s in Mac OS ?

Does it work well and provide 8 usable Aira Link USB inputs/outputs ?

Thanks.
Inkog

Re: Aggregating two MX-1s

Post by Inkog »

I don't have a Mac, or a 2nd MX-1, but it should work in theory.

I have read that you can daisy chain two MX-1s via Aria Link. Granted this sums the chained MX-1 into a single channel on the first, but would get you 7 (4+3) usable aria link ports after using the 8th for the 2nd MX-1. You wouldn't get the Live integration on the chained MX-1, but it would work as a great drum & percussion sub mixer with it's own mastering.
syver

Post by syver »

Thanks.

I found this video that describes the setup you mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAX9rK_m06s

I would still prefer to aggregate them but at least if that does not work this seems like something i could fall back on.
syver

Post by syver »

Si I created an aggregate device with a second MX-1 last night and tested it in External Mixing Mode in Ableton Live 9.7.

It worked flawlessly and all 36 inputs and outputs were properly labeled in Live under MX-1 and MX1#2.

This setup provides 8 working Aira-Link inputs.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks for this info - have been wondering how I can get more AIRA ports
just need a 2nd MX-1 now or wait for an MX-2 :D
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

syver wrote: With the new System-8 and Boutique gear, I find myself dreaming of more Aira-Link inputs in my setup.
I'm not sure if the dream can become reality.
I just posted this to so if other experience the same with Boutique
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=52919

If it not just me, there is a limitation on connecting Boutiques to the AIRA system (MX1).
The Boutique only works from the single Powered USB 3 port. not 1,2,4. I hope I'm wrong.

Means I can NOT connect JP08, JU06, TB03, TR09 all at once
Option is that the System 8 has JP08 & JU06 covered - still means only one of the TB03, TR09 can connect.

USB 1 - System 8
USB 2 - ?
USB 3 (Powered) - TR-03 OR TR-09 (or JP08 or JX03 or JU06 or VP03)
USB 4 - ?

If you CANNOT use Boutiques in the other 2 usb - limited to System 1, VT3, TR8, TB3, not sure -->DJ-808?

Gimped :(
erralb

Post by erralb »

syver wrote: 07:59, 25 November 2016 Si I created an aggregate device with a second MX-1 last night and tested it in External Mixing Mode in Ableton Live 9.7.

It worked flawlessly and all 36 inputs and outputs were properly labeled in Live under MX-1 and MX1#2.

This setup provides 8 working Aira-Link inputs.
Hi, I know it's an old topic but I have a question regarding this aggregation.
Do you know if it's also working in "Mixer Mode" ?
I'm using the MX1 in Mixer Mode to mix hardware and DAW tracks together. I was wondering if you tried and if it was working aggregating 2 MX1 in mixer mode and seeing them in the aggregate device.

Cheers