Aira gear (tr-8 & system-1) into Combo XLR

Forum for Aira
scrattyrat

Aira gear (tr-8 & system-1) into Combo XLR

Post by scrattyrat »

hi - i have some questions about routing the stereo outs from tr-8 and system-1 into Single input Combo XLRs.

I am getting a new soundcard and want to route the tr-8 and system-1 stereo outs into the new soundcard. My current card i am using has stereo RCA inputs which i use.

I am looking at various other soundcards and in particular one which has only 4 combo XLR line inputs (not sure if this is enough to connect my 3 external bits of hardware using stereo).

If i get a double 1/4" cable to single 1/4" TRS, will the stereo signal from the bits of hardware be maintained into a single Combo XLR input?

I don't want to use audio over usb. I know that i could use all 4 inputs on the soundcard to have 2 stereo ins but i also have a 3rd external synth i want to use at the same time. i know i could get a bigger soundcard but am trying to work out if this is actually necessary. I know

FYI this is the soundcard im looking at (soundcards with more inputs are way more money - i need a thunderbolt one)
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... -t4-610691
Inkog

Re: Aira gear (tr-8 & system-1) into Combo XLR

Post by Inkog »

Most Combo XLRs support Stereo 1/4" TRS. However I couldn't verify that from the link you posted. I did read that this soundcard doesn't have separate headphone volume controls. That would be a deal breaker for me!
scrattyrat wrote: If i get a double 1/4" cable to single 1/4" TRS, will the stereo signal from the bits of hardware be maintained into a single Combo XLR input?
A "Wye" cable is NOT for summing two signals! Why not Wye?

All the voices of the TR-8 are mono. Only the pan and some of the FX are stereo. You're better of using your DAW for pan and effects if your working ITB.

The system 1 is stereo, but what other synth do you have? Are you sure it's stereo?
Goon

Post by Goon »

Surely be better using the MX1 for this as it has analogue inputs too. I know you said you dont want to use USB audio, but its painless and easy.
scrattyrat

Post by scrattyrat »

sounds like going from twin cable into single cable is also a no go for stereo signal to be maintained. I suspected it but wasn't sure hence the questions.

That means i either need 2 inputs on the soundcard for each stereo instrument, or in some cases i can use mono out (ie the tr-8) and only require 1 input on the soundcard.

The second synth is a novation mininova which has a L/R twin 1/4" outputs at the rear. I may not always use this synth but id like to have a soundcard with enough inputs that i don't need to swap cables around if i decide ot use it.

If i run the tr-8 as mono, i assume just one 1/4" cable form the /L/ output would act as mono?

Am not looking ta the mx-1 yet, i do all the mixing elsewhere. Not looking ta using usb audio either.
Goon

Post by Goon »

The MX1 can take the TR8 over usb,not only giving you TR8 in stereo but also saving analogue inputs, the MX1 can handle at least 3 other pairs of stereo inputs as well, plus a effects send & return too, in my setup i have my Roland FA, TR8, VT3 as well as a Korg Electribe 2 and Novation Circuit all plugged in & nicely sync'ed to my DAW, the MX1 is not just a mixer but an audio interface too.