MX1 with Boutiques - only USB3 (Powered) Port works

Forum for Aira
DaveJ

MX1 with Boutiques - only USB3 (Powered) Port works

Post by DaveJ »

Hello,

Can any confirm this is normal behaviour. As I cant resolve ti.

If I connect Boutiques (TR-09 & TB-03) to the MX1.
The only port that will work with them is the USB3 Powered port.
Doesn't mater if the Boutiques have battery or not, they just go blank.

I've updated firmware in MX1 & Boutiques - still only 1 works connected via usb - port 3 only.

If this is normal, its a shame... because I'll need to sync via DAW, tied back to the PC...
Unless I get a 2nd MX1 but then can still only do 1 Boutiques per MX1....

any info confirming limitation or that I indeed do have an issue and should work, would be appreciated.

Dave
M1R5080

Re: MX1 with Boutiques - only USB3 (Powered) Port works

Post by M1R5080 »

I have tested the ports on the back of my MX-1, the unpowered ports supply 4VDC whilst the powered port supplies 5V DC. The USB specification calls for 5v DC power, I suspect that the USB circuit on your boutique requires that there be a 5V supply in order to function properly. In theory there is no reason why one couldn't supply an external 5V DC source to the USB pins looking for 5v but only finding 4v. It should be obvious that if done incorrectly you could potentially damage the components in your mx-1 or boutique device, and that doing such things are experimental. In other words do so at your own risk.

If it were me, and I accepted the risk, I would probably just cut two USB cables in half and make a junction box combining the data wires from the MX-1 and the power from an external wall wart 5v supply, such as those little cubes for charging phones, ecigs, and other USB devices. You should not connect the usb power wire from the MX-1 to this circuit, but you might have to tie in the grounds in order to have a proper circuit, but if it were me I would try to do it first without connecting to the mx-1 power at all. So you would end up with three 2 pair wires and a junction box. Wire one is a male USB A type plugged into the mx-1, only the data wire pair is connected to wire three. Wire two is also a male USB A type and is connected to a USB 5V wall wart, only the power wire pair is connected to wire three. Wire three is a male USB B type connector with data connected to wire one from the MX-1 and power connected to wire 2 from the USB Power supply.

Additionally they make pre-made power and data USB cables, such as https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB ... 003HHK576/ but some of these styles of cable may not properly isolate the MX-1 from the extra power and could potentially damage the internal usb circuit of the MX-1. On the other hand if the USB circuit on the MX-1 was designed like a standard USB connection it should have no problem in accepting a connection like this and the entire solution could be handled easily with one $5 wire and no soldering, etc.

Let us know how it goes...
M1R5080

Post by M1R5080 »

Oh I just thought of this,

you could probably do a setup where you use a Mophie or similar 5v battery supply with USB connectors to supply the power. It might be more convenient for live shows where ac adapters and/or little power cubes are a problem.
dpbel

Post by dpbel »

DaveJ wrote:Hello,
Can any confirm this is normal behaviour. As I cant resolve ti.
If I connect Boutiques (TR-09 & TB-03) to the MX1.
The only port that will work with them is the USB3 Powered port.
Doesn't mater if the Boutiques have battery or not, they just go blank.
I've updated firmware in MX1 & Boutiques - still only 1 works connected via usb - port 3 only.
Yes, the only port is USB3 to power only [1] boutique. The MX-1 updates were to allow powered non AIRA and System 8 (vr 1.05 to be used in the other [3] ports USB. The only work around is to occupy your other inputs and power via phone charger, cube, tower, etc. If recording, you most likely will get enhanced noise from ground loop. Also utilize 5/6 input with a 3.5mm stereo cable from your boutique.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

There was a post about this exact issue only a few weeks ago... You can do it using the Arturia Beatstep pro USB splitter (I think they sell them in a cable kit for $16, but shipping if you aren't in France or whatever is crazy high), but all the other splitters don't seem to work (tried loads - I live opposite a computer centre). I just run them on batteries with the USB connectivity. It's not the end of the world having to charge them up.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks for all the info.
Ideally I want to connect both TB-03 & TR-09 to MX-1 at the same time. I dont care how I have to power them.
Its unfortunate that the devices when using Battery, will not use USB for Aira link & Audio only.
Firmware fix this maybe...

I'll try the BeatStep Pro Replacement Cable Kit.
$63.64 inc postage :(

see if I can get cheaper from local Music dealer... or find alternate online
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I can purchase 9x BeatStep Pro Replacement Cable Kits, without the shipping cost changing.

I may have to buy a few & ebay this side of the world...
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Found the original info & added pictures :) I believe I understand.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=52376
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

If you do I'll buy one! Haha :)
VeraGalvin

Post by VeraGalvin »

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there is no reason why one couldn't supply an external 5V DC source to the USB pins looking for 5v but only finding 4v. It should be obvious that if done incorrectly you could potentially damage the components in your mx-1 or boutique device.
ModularDisciple

Post by ModularDisciple »

To start up your Boutique, using the internal batteries and USB audio, hold down #9 on the TB-03, the TR-09, the VP-03 and/or the JX-03 while powering on.