Scooper and MX1 general questions

Forum for Aira
Mark76

Scooper and MX1 general questions

Post by Mark76 »

Hi all

Just got a new Roland Scooper and I have a few questions about the Scooper and the compatibility of the MX1 in general.

1) What does the USB cable actually do? I was hoping it would be a plug in and sync/audio like the TR8 as it is Aira after all. In the end I've connected an Audio from the output of the Scooper into the mono channel 3 of the MX1, it works but there is a problem which leads me to....

2)Noise!!! Lots of it. In fact the MX1 in general is noisy, but as soon as the Scooper is attached there's a loud whooshwhooshwhooshwhooshwhoosh sound when I turn the headphones up. Tried recording the output and it was there on the recording. Highly disappointed.

3)Sync, how do I sync the Scooper with the master clock on the MX1? I'm running the MX1 in EXT mode with Ableton. The MX1 is the master clock and syncs my DAW.

4)Overdub - not working, hit the blue button again and it just stops, no chance of overdubbing? Odd?

A few questions, but have to say both the Scooper and MX1 are problems at the moment. The noise is my main problem with the MX1. For £400 odd quid I expect better from Roland

Thanks in advance
noahwise

Re: Scooper and MX1 general questions

Post by noahwise »

I find the mx1 very clean but the scooper... well
But anyway, I was hoping the scooper was gonna be more plug and play and syncable as well. In fact, that's why I got the mx1, I thought they would "talk" well. But as yet no syncing of start stop thru mx1, and I don't recall if I even got audio thru the USB. Really hoping for an update to make the scooper the little jam toy I think it should be. I have used the customizer to add a midi to cv/gate start stop but have not tried it yet. Hoping that works to sync loops
Mark76

Re: Scooper and MX1 general questions

Post by Mark76 »

Well it turns out that the Scooper doesn't have overdub switched on by default, and absolutely no mention of this in Roland's brief instruction sheet. Why? No idea! anyway got it working.

Seems like the USB has absolutely no use, other than linking to the app, so forget any sync, or audio its not like the other Aira gear whatsoever, not sure why it has an Aira badge tbh!

However, it does get a lot more interesting when you use the trigger out from a 707 (for example) then it starts getting fun. Nice glitchy effects easily tweaked on the fly with some degree of sync using the Rimshot on the 707, more fun can be had by plugging the trigger into the scatter too.

It's kind of redeemed itself with this but it could have been so much better...