Boutiques with MX-1 : Bad latency

Forum for Aira

Boutiques with MX-1 : Bad latency

Postby Chug Norris » 13:12, 23 January 2017

Hi All,

Just bought an MX-1 and connected up my two Boutiques (JU and JP) via USB (using an Arturia Beatstep USB 'Y' cable to get round the non-powered USB issue - massive thanks to this forum for the tips!).

MIDI and audio are being streamed ok but the problem is that there is quite a noticeable latency from the Boutiques. This is evident in both midi notes being triggered, and the external sequencer playing in sync (it sounds quite badly late).

I have a TR-8 attached as well and this is fine. I have tried booting up the MX-1 at both 44.1khz (the Boutique's rate) and 96khz (the TR-8) and the problem is the same.

Anyone else noticed this? You won't notice it on pads perhaps, but anything punchy and transient is unuseable in a live situation (which is why I bought the thing...)

I just want to get any info/evidence to the contrary from you good people before I contact Roland about this one way or the other.

Cheers.
Chug Norris

Re: Boutiques with MX-1 : Bad latency

Postby rsaintjohn » 17:01, 23 January 2017

Chug Norris wrote:Just bought an MX-1 and connected up my two Boutiques (JU and JP) via USB (using an Arturia Beatstep USB 'Y' cable to get round the non-powered USB issue - massive thanks to this forum for the tips!).

MIDI and audio are being streamed ok but the problem is that there is quite a noticeable latency from the Boutiques. This is evident in both midi notes being triggered, and the external sequencer playing in sync (it sounds quite badly late).

I don't have this combo, but have you tired taking the Y cable out of the equation, and tested whether this happens with just one Boutique on a direct connection, both through the powered slot and the unpowered (running on battery)? Since the TR-8 is direct connected and not exhibiting the problem, that's the first place I'd check to start to eliminate culprits.
rsaintjohn

Postby Chug Norris » 11:03, 24 January 2017

Thanks saintjohn, I'll try this, although only one Boutique is using the y splitter as the other is in the bus powered slot 3. You'd think if it was causing issues to neighboring slots it would cause problems to the TR-8 too. But worth a try just to eliminate it, you're right.

I must say I'm starting to think that there's a fundamental problem with latency on Boutiques streaming audio over USB. I always have to use a track delay to compensate when integrating them into my DAW this way - or put up with the horrible noisy distorted/whirring minijack output. But this isn't an option on my MX-1 as the analog ins are already used by other synths. It was the integration of the boutiques on the MX-1 that was the selling point for me!

Will be doing some more test over the next couple of days and get back to you. Cheers.
Chug Norris

Postby dpbel » 02:42, 25 January 2017

I have the [3] boutiques (JX-JP & JU) along with a miniNova running off the USB also attached to the MX1 but using a different "Y" connection and NOT the beatsteppro cable. I have had no issues with any latency, and record to DAW with no issues regarding latency. Check each boutique through USB3 directly to rule out your cabling. BTW, are you powering through a hub or each individual charger?
dpbel

Postby Chug Norris » 16:17, 18 February 2017

Right, done all of the above and loads more. With all combos of leads, sync, sample rates, standalone and connected setups etc, I have reached the conclusion there is a consistent 15 milliseconds or so of latency with the audio coming from my 2 Boutiques over any USB channel on the MX- 1. This makes things far too sloppy to use for the live sets I am planning (the reason I bought the MX-1).

So now I've done my bit and I'm convinced I've bought a turkey, I'll put a challenge out: can anyone with either a Boutique JP or JU post a video conclusively showing that they DON'T have this catastrophic latency with the MX -1? Because either just my (otherwise perfectly functioning) MX-1 is flaky with these synths, or you folk claiming yours work perfectly aren't noticing the latency for whatever reason.

Maybe try a Tr-8 and a Boutique attached via USB to the MX-1. Sequencer on for the Boutique, with a short sharp sound with instant attack. Simple unswung drum pattern on the TR. Hit play on the MX-1 and record the lack of latency and perfect timing.

Anyone up for this? Cos I think we've payed for a dud setup as it stands. Care to prove me wrong?
Chug Norris

Postby Goon » 19:42, 18 February 2017

Works fine with my TR8-FA-06 & VT3 all plugged into usb ports, no issues.
Goon

Postby ducker69 » 01:52, 7 March 2017

Hi i am looking at buying the mx-1 but i have worried about the latency over usb by the devices as well...

Is it possible for anyone to tell us what the actual latency is for audio over usb for the mx-1? I don't mean when running it in external mode.. i mean when running it as standalone mode without a computer. I think some people wouldn't notice 15ms latency but i would!
ducker69

Postby ducker69 » 00:31, 23 March 2017

Hi chug,

Since you have the device... i don't suppose you could plug the audio output from one of your devices AND the usb for the same device into the mx-1 then record both inputs onto the computer .. then compare the start of the note through each input to compare the latency? I would love to know what it is but roland haven't been very helpful when i ask them.
ducker69

Postby darenager » 19:01, 23 June 2017

Are you talking about latency into computer OP? I do not use a computer and have zero latency with any of my boutiques, I use usb y splitters for the power and audio over usb, and have the master outs of the MX-1 direct to monitor speakers, everything is very tight timing. If you are going into a computer try using the analog master outs from the MX-1 to see if there is a difference.
darenager

Return to Aira