System-1m cannot load plug-outs

Forum for Aira
Tekbehr

System-1m cannot load plug-outs

Post by Tekbehr »

HELP!!!

I just purchased the Roland Aira System-1m module on 2017-01-13.

I cannot load plug-outs into the System-1m at all, without getting different errors. However, I also have a System-1 keyboard that I also bought at Guitar Center over a year ago, and have no problems with loading 3 different plug-outs in the keyboard (SH-101, System-1 and System-100).

Roland System-1m ERROR in LOGIC 9

Roland System-1m --- SUPPORT Question --- Cannot load Roland plug-out VST/AUs into System-1m.

I am not able to load the System-100 plug-out in to my System-1m module.

I have reinstalled the 1m system version 1.3 update (though the unit arrived with 1.3 already installed).

I have tested installing the System-100 plug-out into my System-1 keyboard, no trouble, the System-100 plug-out works as expected in the System-1 keyboard. I simply click on the PLUG-OUT button in the System-100 librarian/editor, and am prompted if this is really what I want to do. I confirm and the plug-out installs. I previously had the SH-101 plug-out installed and replaced it with System-100. I am also able to load in 64 patches.

However. I am still unable to install the System-100 plug-out into the System-1m. Using the same USB cable as I did with the System-1 keyboard.

I have rechecked and swapped out the cables multiple times and even used the same cable I used to load the System-100 plug-out into the System-1, but continue to get this same error.

Yes. I have activated this plug-out properly, as I have no problem loading the System-100 plug-out into the System-1 keyboard.

I am able to create tracks in Logic 9, set the software instrument to the SH-101 plug-out, and can edit parameters such as the filter by tweaking knobs on the System-1m, and the VST/AU responds accordingly. One would assume that this clearly means that the USB MIDI cable is working perfectly.

However, even after installing the latest update (v1.3) on the 1m, and doing a factory reset, I still cannot install any plug-out (either the SH-101, or the System-100) in the 1m. However, both plug-ins install and work fine in the System-1 without a problem.

With the System-1m, I get 2 different errors, depending on which plug-out I try to install into the System-1m.

When trying to install the System-100 plug-out in the 1m, I get the following error:

SYSTEM-100
Either the PLUG-OUT SYNTHESIZER is not connected, or is connected incorrectly.
Check the connection.

I get different errors when trying to install the SH-101 plug-out in the 1m.

First I get this popup:

SH-101
Ready to Plug-Out. OK?

After I click on the OK button, it looks like the plug-out installation begins, and get this pop-up:

Data being sent, for about 1-2 seconds, then get this error:

SH-101
MIDI communication failed.
The only option is the click on OK. Clicking on the OK button does nothing, the System-1m just freezes. The following lights flash: LFO Waveform knob, the PLUG-OUT button, and Memory location “4”.

I must power off the 1m completely. The 1m will not do anything else, unless it is turned off, then back on again. After powering the 1m back on again, there is no plug-out installed.

I have tried the factory reset process on the 1m several times, after reinstalling the 1.3 system update.

NOTHING works to correct this issue. It sure looks like Roland needs to come out with a System-1m system update… :(

I am not able to find any contact information on Roland's website, and their FAQ section for the Aira line is very light on any helpful information.
rsaintjohn

Re: System-1m cannot load plug-outs

Post by rsaintjohn »

Go to the Roland site for your region, register the the System 1m, and you should be able to send an email to Support through their web form or email system. If you're in the USA, it's at https://www.rolandus.com/backstage/ .

You say lots of things in your post, but you don't say whether you clicked the Setting button in the plug-out software UI, and confirmed that MIDI CTRL Input and Output are set to System-1m CTRL. Perhaps it's still set for the System 1? You probably did this, but you didn't explicitly say so.

Beyond that, I have no idea. If it's not a setting and not the USB cable, then it sounds like the file transfer is failing the "handshake", which would indicate a hardware issue on the System 1m itself. I suspect only Roland will be able to identify, and assist you.
bluemike

Post by bluemike »

Maybe you can try to downgrade to 1.2?
... And then see if it works
mikmanner

Post by mikmanner »

Man I'm having the exact same issue, System 1m.

Process

- connect over USB
- open Cubase 8.5
- load SH101 VST
- Setting on SH101 midi out to System1m
- press Plug Out on Sh101 VST

- Same error

Totally lost
Kurrupt

Post by Kurrupt »

I'm in the same boat myself now
It worked great before I upgraded to OS X sierra. I purchased all the plugouts and had no issue on El Capitan now I'm on sierra every time I try to load a plugouts , right at the end I get midi data failed and it's getting frustrating. I've tried reinstalling the 1.3 update files countless times and reset the system 1m endless times but it keeps just failing and yes I've checked the midi in and out in settings . I'm hoping rolling back to el cap will fix it .ive tried plugging the USB direct into mac and USB hub . It keeps also saying to connect the system 1m to mac but it's clearly there otherwise it wouldn't say would I like to use it as a audio device . I'm completely lost , I'd say I'd return it back to the shop it's only 5montga old but I've bought the system 1m, mx-1 , bitrazer,torcido,scooper,demora all the plugouts
I'm really stressed out it's not working now and hope someone can help .
mikmanner

Post by mikmanner »

I just purchased it today with the SH101 plug out, very frustrating. I'll try it at work tomorrow on a different machine.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Did you guys make sure you installed the appropriate and latest System-1m USB Driver, for the OS you're using?

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... s_drivers/

There are specific USB drivers for:
SYSTEM-1m driver 1.0.1 for macOS 10.12
SYSTEM-1m driver 1.0.0 for OS X 10.10 / OS X 10.9 / OS X 10.8
SYSTEM-1m driver 1.0.0 for OS X 10.11
SYSTEM-1m driver 1.0.0 for Microsoft Windows 8.1 / 8 / 7
SYSTEM-1m driver 1.0.0 for Microsoft Windows 10

Many of you keep talking about the 1.3 firmware for the 1m, but that's likely not the problem if your issue is related to MIDI and the USB.

On the Mac, it's very important that you really follow every step detailed in the Readme.htm file included with zip file of the USB driver. I suspect it's similar with Windows, but it has its own USB driver configuration challenges, and I haven't touched it in years.

Most important is the configuration detailed in that doc in the section "Settings for MIDI input and output on OS X". That's where you go into Audio MIDI Setup and MIDI Studio in OS X, set up the System 1m as a device, set up the two icons, and drag the connections between them. If this doesn't sound familiar, if you haven't done this, chances are you're not going to get anywhere. It doesn't matter what PC you're using, no matter what version of firmware you've loaded onto the 1m. You must install and pre-configure the USB driver as documented.
Kurrupt

Post by Kurrupt »

Yes the first I did when I updated my OS X was to update the sierra drivers . My mac is seeing the system 1m because it's asking if I want to use it as a audio device . It's only when I try to press the plugouts button on any of the plugouts it fails to send the midi data and that's with any plugouts . I've never had any problem before with it doing it . I'm not sure if it's a sierra problem or the synth itself . All my plugouts are using the latest version . Before I had the system 1m plugged into the mx-1 and the mac won't find it when try to send patch data but again asks if I want to use it as a audio device .
Kurrupt

Post by Kurrupt »

Right I've managed to get one plugouts loaded the sh-101 by going back to the 1.21 firmware update , all the others are still not working . A few say midi communication failed and others say to connect the system 1m. I've contacted Roland and am waiting for a response.
Kurrupt

Post by Kurrupt »

Received a email from Roland saying to do this
First go into the OSX Audio/Midi Utility – open the MIDI Window, create a NEW CONFIGURATION and rescan.

- You should see the system 1 listed.

Open your DAW and give it another go. – Make sure you open the plugin and set up the MIDI I/O within the plugin also.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Kurrupt wrote:Received a email from Roland saying to do this ...
Please let us know how that goes. I suspect that will resolve the issue. With a new version of the OS and a new version of the driver, it's pretty much a whole new "device" as far as the OS is concerned, and it makes sense that you would have to reconfigure it in Audio MIDI Setup like this. Just make sure you follow the steps in that Readme.htm file included with zip file of the USB driver, because that it where you're making the connection between the driver and the hardware. Tekbehr and Mikmanner should do the same, regardless of what OS they're on.
Kurrupt

Post by Kurrupt »

Hi guys
Right I did what Roland and it still didn't work and as a last resort I decided to try reinstalling a clean install of OS X sierra. After installing logic and only the plugouts outs I managed to get them all working . But I still had to do the steps Roland sent me but thankfully there all working again . Hope this helps those that are having problems. Also before when I installed driver updates it didn't overwrite the old version. Just summit to check if your not willing to take my route of a clean install .
mikmanner

Post by mikmanner »

I fixed it and got it loaded by following another thread.

Download the Steinberg SDK and run the included VST test host program, this just runs VSTs and nothing else. Assign the SH101 midi ports appropriately in settings, (on windows it's System1M CTRL) and bingo.
Kurrupt

Post by Kurrupt »

I ended up managing to get all my plugouts fixed by installing a few updates and uninstalling all the drivers for mx-1 , system 1m, and the bitrazor,scooper,demora,torcido . Before I installed over the top of old drivers but this time I uninstalled first then reinstalled thenm sierra drivers . I also did the settings Roland sent me to delete the mx-1, system 1m in midi/audio set up and rescanned them back in . Alla working fine now bar the fact I have to have system 1m plugged into mac and not the mx-1 . When it's plugged into mx-1 USB the mac can't detect it . I'm waiting for a response from Roland on that issue. But happy days the plugouts work again and I didn't end up haven't todo a clean install I wasn't looking forward to that .