TB-03 vs TB-3 - your thoughts?

Forum for Aira
ranzee

TB-03 vs TB-3 - your thoughts?

Post by ranzee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT8iuIZb8lo

I did this video which contains my opinion about the two products. However, what do you think? Is the TB-3 now obsolete?
QmusicRAZZ

Re: TB-03 vs TB-3 - your thoughts?

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

I really don't have any deep thoughts. But if I just wanted the TB-303 experience, I would go with the TB-03. If I was vested in the AIRA line as a whole performance unit, I would get the TB-3 for interface purposes. The TB-3 to me is more of it's own instrument and not really a TB-303 clone.
projektil

Re: TB-03 vs TB-3 - your thoughts?

Post by projektil »

I have both and got them for these reasons:

TB-03:
Look and feel
Interface is much more inviting to screw around with the parameters
Sounded a lot more 303ish in the videos I checked before buying. May not be true, but purely subjective

TB-3
Trying out the pad thing for controlling parameters
AIRA - part of the ecosystem
Sound a bit different, maybe less of an acid machine than the Boutique, but still interesting, so a good sidekick to the TB-03, giving a bit of variety.

Now that I played with both for a (little) while, I like the TB-03 much better. Integration to the MX-1 is the same, so just USB3 and you´re done.

If I ever needed to chose, the AIRA would go and the Boutique would stay. But that´s a lot of personal choice in there. I find the Boutique to be much more accesssible and the xy pad on the AIRA a nice shot, but a bit of a novelty. Maybe because I´m just a stubborn old guy who can´t get his head around the new interface, but that´s me.