System-1 Power Supply

Forum for Aira
projektil

System-1 Power Supply

Post by projektil »

All,

I just bought a System-1 from ebay, but the original PSU was not included, instead an aftermarket plug was in the package. From the Roland website I see that the System-1 draws 850mA and from the box itself I can see that it expects 5.7 Volts (quite odd).

The replacement plug that came with is variable, but only has settings for 5V, 6V, 7.5V - which one should I choose ? Also it only delivers 600mA, so I wonder if 850mA is maximum and 600 will do ?
bluemike

Re: System-1 Power Supply

Post by bluemike »

I would not use that power supply. Even if you in theory could use it, you risk ruining your system 1 ...
johnstimley

Post by johnstimley »

Def get the pukka plug.........
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Voltage should always match exactly, and the amperage can be higher, but never lower. Consider that 850mA as minimum, not maximum.

So you could use, for example, a 5.7V 1000mA adapter. The System-1 will only draw the 850mA it requires. But give it less, and it will soon destroy the synth, if it works at all.

And make sure that, for whatever you get, that the polarity matches (+ or - center)

Check this page, or contact Roland Support for guidance. I think the PSD-120 may work, but there may be a more suitable model on there.

http://shop.rolandus.com/c/power-adapters

ADDED: I just checked my System-1m and my JD-Xi, and they both use that PSD-120, 5.7V 2000mA, center negative (despite requiring less amps). I would not be surprised if it is the same as what ships with the System-1 itself, and standard across most of the current mid-size Roland gear.
QmusicRAZZ

Post by QmusicRAZZ »

It is so easy to get a hold of the proper Roland power supply. I would not use that one. It is not even close to correct. That was punk move on the seller including that power supply instead of the correct one.
projektil

Post by projektil »

All,

thanks for your input, I will see that I get an original PSU from ebay then. Sounds like the easiest option, as I would need a new one anyway (the one delivered with the synth appears a bit flimsy).

Thanks !