TR-8 MX-1 start / stop

Forum for Aira
monoscan

TR-8 MX-1 start / stop

Post by monoscan »

Hello! I searched around online for a while [both on this forum and on various Google results] and I'm not finding an answer that I'm looking for. Here's my situation:

I have an MX-1, TR-8 and TB-3. When I connect the TR-8 and TB-3 via usb to the MX-1, I am able to press start / stop on the MX-1 and it automatically starts playing the TB-3 in sync. The TR-8 does not start playing. I have to trigger its start button manually, and the tempo will have the same BPM, but they won't sync.

I've seen stuff online that the TR-8 has had midi / clock issues since an update [all three units are updated to the most current versions] but I can't figure this one out. Is there a midi setting I need to change on the MX-1 or TR-8, or do I need the TR-8 and TB-3 connected via midi? I was under the impression that I can have all three devices running on the MX-1 clock and the fact that the TB-3 starts when I press start on the MX-1 leads me to believe that the TR-8 can do the same, but I'm missing something simple.

Thanks in advance friends!
runningman67

Re: TR-8 MX-1 start / stop

Post by runningman67 »

Just in case you haven't done this.

MX-1: SYNC SETTINGS
Tags: aira, sync, MX-1
Here's how to select the MIDI clock master in order to synchronize the tempo of the MX-1 to the connected devices.

Press the [SYNC] button to make it light.
Turn the [TEMPO] knob to select the MIDI clock master. The clock master you select blinks in the display above the [TEMPO] knob.
AUTO If a MIDI clock is being input from a connected device, the MX-1 syncronizes to that MIDI clock. If multiple MIDI clocks are being input, the MX-1 prioritizes USB port, MIDI IN connector, then USB 1-4.
INT The MX-1 is the MIDI clock master.
MIDI
The MX-1 synchronizes to the MIDI clock of the device connected to the MIDI IN connector.

USB1–4

The MX-1 synchronizes to the MIDI clock of the device connected to the USB HOST ports.

PC
The MX-1 synchronizes to the MIDI clock
that’s specified by the DAW running on the computer connected to the USB port.

3. Press the [SYNC] button to confirm the clock master.
monoscan

Post by monoscan »

Yeah, and when I do try any of the mx1 sync options, it either puts everything at 300bpm or it solely starts the tb-3. I dont know if I am overlooking what the tr-8 boot menu settings should be or something. I would send the midi out of the tb-3 to the tr-8,but I've also got my eurorack receiving midi from the tb-3.
monoscan

Post by monoscan »

Yeah, this is getting obnoxious. the TB-3 starts and stops whenever I press the stop / stop button the MX-1. The TR-8 just flashes at me. I don't know what else to do. I've done all USB ports, I've had a midi cable going to / from the mixer, I've tried about every direction I can think of and still end up with a TR-8 that won't start or stop without being the master device. Roland on Twitter isn't even responding to me.
monoscan

Post by monoscan »

ALRIGHT! Solution was found on a Facebook group! My TR-8 needed a setting changed, but not the one I had thought. When in the boot menu, pad #6 needs to be turned OFF. I don't have the list in front of me on what each of those pads represents, but it has something to do with sync.

Again, TR-8 pad #6 needs to be off / disabled. It all works as intended now!