Roland DJ-808 vs. Traktor Kontrol S8

Forum for Aira
syver

Roland DJ-808 vs. Traktor Kontrol S8

Post by syver »

Hi,

Any thoughts on this forum on the pros and cons of these two setups ?

Thx
projektil

Re: Roland DJ-808 vs. Traktor Kontrol S8

Post by projektil »

Pro Traktor S8: Price

Don´t know the Roland though, as Traktor was already there, so I didn´t have the luxury of this problem :D

I have hooked the MX-1 output to Traktor S8 channel 4, which is nice for switching from Remix Decks to the synths and drum machines. What sucks though, is that you still get channel EQ and Filter, but no FX. Not a biggie, since the MX-1 and hooked up gear have more effects than Traktor ever will (think Ableton plugins in channels), but still...

Apart from that I guess the software will also make a big difference, as the Serato vs Traktor discussion is probably similar to Win vs Mac or footbal vs soccer.
Bobbyduracel

Post by Bobbyduracel »

I have tons of thoughts on the comparisons... I have a tiny little blog at www.livefullycharged.org with lots of thoughts on various setups.

Short answer: Dj808 has actual platters and pitch faders - big plus.
Dj 808 has Tr-S, which is also a plus.

It runs Serato, which I think is inferior to Traktor.

Traktor S8 - no platter, no jog wheels, runs Traktor.

Both have intense remix and creative capabilities and I've owned both since they came out (respectively). They're just a bit different.

If you like Serato and you want to possibly expand your rig to include analog, get the AIRA stuff.
Bobbyduracel

Post by Bobbyduracel »

Apparently an update to the DJ808 is pending (date uncertain), which probably means the TR-S voices will now match those of the DJ505... Very cool.
FANTOMized

Post by FANTOMized »

They are built for 2 totally different types of DJs, the real question is what type of DJ are you?

That's where you need to start and it will help you weight the value of the two.
Tourn'Vins

Post by Tourn'Vins »

@Bobbyduracel
Hi;
Where have you heard that an update of dj-808 should coming ?
Can you explain me please the main differences the way the TR-S works on the 505 between the 808? (think about "nudge" and "step roll" function; haven't found any explanation).

And then, I have already an S8, and i'm regarding for anDJ-808, interested by the Roland quality and TR-S functions; for remix, add on on the fly with simplicity.

As you have the twice, your opinion about having S8+TR-8 or DJ-808 ?

Thanks a lot.
(Sorry if i'm a bit hard too understand, I'm French...)
Best regards
Bassmonster

Post by Bassmonster »

I own both the Dj-808 and the Pioneer DDj-SZ2. I sometimes hook up Ableton to my SZ and use it on channel 3 0r 4. The Sound can be routed through channels and you can use the fader EQ etc. On the Dj-808 sound is only rout able through the main out and the only volume control is the main knob. That really blows. Wish they would fix that with an update:(