Benefits of owning ALL AIRA modules?

Forum for Aira

Benefits of owning ALL AIRA modules?

Postby flyingace » 22:32, 7 May 2017

I own the TR-8, TB-3 and MX-1. I'm loving them and how well they work together so well. I'm about to buy the VT-3 and System-1. Are there benefits to using all AIRA products or should I invest my money elsewhere? I am also using the GAIA and Teenage Engineering OP-1 along with my Studio Live 16.0.2, Roland Juno Stage, Roland D-50, Roland SH-32 and a Mac with Logic Pro X and Ableton Live Intro. What do you guys think? Any advice?
flyingace

Re: Benefits of owning ALL AIRA modules?

Postby Tom_1970 » 17:51, 16 May 2017

I started with a TR-8 and TB-3.
I thought the System-1 had a very nice synth engine, but I hated the keybed and I also was starting with modular.
I was impressed by the MX-1, but with only two instruments with Aira Link I hesitated to purchase one.
In the end I did and then the System-1m was came out and also the modular FX units.
With some updates also my Jupiter-80 and FA-06 and boutiques could be plugged in via Aira Link and of course the System-8.

The initial overkill of USB channels of the MX-1 vanished and now I'm running short of Aira channels.

The big advantage of Aira stuff is how it all works together. One press on the start button of the MX-1 and the whole setup starts doing it's thing.
Sure there are other ways to accomplish this, but I like how easy and well it works with Aira.

For me that's not the main reason I got Aira stuff.
The most important thing for me is that they sound very good and are very nice to work with.
I love the sound of The system-8 and really am impressed by the interface.
The VT-3 for me isn't very interesting. The System-8 vocoder covers my needs for vocal processing.

So in the end for me it's all about sound and workflow.
I am not a particular fanboy when it comes to Roland, but I really like their recent instruments.

So my advice would be. Buy a VT-3 if that is what you need or want, but not because it's Aira.
On the System 1 I would advice the same, although Aira Link can be very handy together with the MX-1.
If you don't need the keys of the System-1 maybe a System-1m is interesting for you. The modular possibilities are very nice to my opinion.
If you have te money, the System-8 is a no brainer.
Tom_1970

Re: Benefits of owning ALL AIRA modules?

Postby flyingace » 18:06, 16 May 2017

Thanks, I pulled the trigger and have the VT-3 and System-1 on the way. For the time being that will have to do. I'd LOVE to get the System-8 for sure. Sadly, I sold my Jupiter 80 last year and miss it constantly! Now that I own the MX-1, it would have been great.

I, too, love the way they work and sound over just wanting them because they match or are roland. I only wish my GAIA (which has USB Audio) was compatible but as you know, trying to get Roland to support older equipment is like pulling teeth. :( Even though, technically the GAIA is still in production, I think.

As of now, I am enjoying the TB-3 and TR-8 along with the MX-1 immensely and with MIDI, it's clocking my other gear (minus the OP-1). I'm using the Digital input using an A/D converter but channels 2 & 4 aren't available when using stereo. Now I"ll have all 4 USB channels filled and that just leaves the computer that I have yet to dig into hooking up. I'm currently using Logic Pro X for recording but also own the Intro version of Ableton Live, although I've never liked using it. With the MX-1 I'm going to give it another try.

Again, thanks for your perspective! If you have an tips... pLease! :)
flyingace

Return to Aira