Externally sequencing the MX-1

Forum for Aira
Archem

Externally sequencing the MX-1

Post by Archem »

I am trying to automate my mix as much as possible controlling the MX-1 from my hardware sequencer via MIDI.

Unfortunately, there are a limited set of CC messages the MX-1 is capable of receiving. There is so much I want to do but can't - i.e. change MFX types, rotate MFX dial, etc.

But has anyone found ways of sequencing the MX-1 outside of what Roland's documentation provides? I really want to be able to send BFX "notes" instead of having to rely on the onboard single 16-step pattern.
Archem

Re: Externally sequencing the MX-1

Post by Archem »

In case anyone is wondering I came up with a solution: Scene recall

You can recall scenes via MIDI with the MX-1, so I simply make scenes for each sidechain or BFX pattern and then use PC messages to switch between them.

I have found this to work without any latency
darenager

Post by darenager »

@Archem - Where there is a will there is a way! Great idea to use PC scenes as a way of sequencing the MFX amount and type, the lack of a direct CC for these was a bit of an oversight on Rolands part but your workaround is the next best thing ;)
Archem

Post by Archem »

I suppose Roland never imagined anyone would ever need a sidechain pattern longer than 16 steps? ha why not just hard code a 4 on the floor? lol
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer your method is the best way - I wanted to sequence the MFX from my Synthstrom Deluge, but as you mentioned having pre-made scenes and recalling them is the only way whilst the MX-1 is in a useable mode. If using a PC then there's another mode that really unlocks the whole surface of the system. Check the additional manuals and the midi implementation chart to see the mode that does this.