access presets on System 1

Forum for Aira
kidmoose

access presets on System 1

Post by kidmoose »

Hi All,
I recently purchased a System 1 off ebay. Love it but just can't seem to access the 8 banks of presets. Only get the 8 loaded off the start up. Lack of usable info off google. youtube and the Roland site is frustrating. Finally found the link to this forum and need help. Yes, I hold the System 1 button, see the banks blink but when I access bank 1 thru 8, all I get are the original 8 sounds when starting up. WHAT am I doing wrong??? Even had a trusted fellow player help me and HE cannot get them either so I know it's not just me. Also, now when I try to access the PLUG OUT button, it doesn't light. It did before! WHAT did I do? Did an factory reset and all other functions appear to work normal. Did I get a bad unit?
ANY help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Jerry
Nig

Re: access presets on System 1

Post by Nig »

Sounds like you need to do a firmware upgrade as this is the behaviour of the original firmware where all the banks were the same. Upgrading should give you all 8 banks.

The top link on this page is the the current version:

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... s_drivers/
kidmoose

Post by kidmoose »

Many thanks! FINALLY got around to doing the update. Now I have the latest firmware. (YES! Preset 3 lights when I check!)
BUT, still getting only the eight preset sounds....HOW do I access the 8 sounds in each preset bank?
For those who really know this machine I'm sure it is a foolish question, but for me: I'm lost.
Again....ANY help is welcome.
Still a great machine for fooling around!!!!!
Jerry
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

Check out this post - it details how to download the factory 64 patches, and also the process to add the patches to your System 1...

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=51942
kidmoose

Post by kidmoose »

Man, is this frustrating!!!!!
Did my update and followed the attached instructions. I've deleted the BACKUP after copying it to a separate file. Copied the patches to the RESTORE file and ejected the System 1 ALL while the unit's OCTAVE buttons are flashing.....BUT when I disconnect the USB cable the OCTAVE buttons cease to flash....immediately. Did the patches load? I can't tell as all I can access are the original 8 presents that came with the unit.
Is there a trick to getting the 64 programs that I am missing? I've done this a total of 13 times over the past few days, with various variations of the procedures but still get the same results.
Again, ANY help is appreciated. Other posts indicate this procedure works but what have I forgotten, where did I go wrong.
HELP!!!!!
....and thanks!
Jerry
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

I added very specific instructions to another post to help you - please see this post:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=51942&p=306467#p306467

Let us know if you still need help...
kidmoose

Post by kidmoose »

Sorry for such a late reply....SUCCESS!!!!! And as expected, my lack of computer knowledge was the problem. Having opened the file with the presets and then copying each individual 64 presets as a whole ( instead of dragging what was essentially only the file name) and THEN dragging them to the folder gave me results in a matter of seconds. All done and now my System 1 has 64 presets....and as I am finding out like a lot of folks, only a handful of them usable!
With that said, anywhere I can find FREE downloads to replace existing presets? I find it a shame that Roland no longer offers the SH01 for free and now must spend an additional $95 for the "Plug Out."
Anyway I can get these off the net? (Or am I showing my lack of knowledge again?)
Any source of downloadable files would be appreciated.
Thanks to all who have helped me in the past and hopefully those with my (since fixed) problem can benefit from my experience.
Regards to all;
Jerry
kidmoose

Post by kidmoose »

Greetings to all on this forum.
Enjoying my System 1 to no end!!!!!
I'm finally going to get the PLUG OUT of the SH02 and would like to know how difficult will it be to access with the System 1. Anyone out there already do this and can you share your thoughts.
Will I be able to actually load the SH02 into the System 1 and use it from the synth itself....or will I have to only use them off the computer?
Also, there is an ad on ebay for 128 additional sounds for the JP08.....are these difficult to load into THAT sythn (yes, I know this is an ARIA forum but I'm sure there are some out there with BOTH units.)
Again; thanks in advance for any insights!
Shine On!
Jerry
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

kidmoose wrote:...
Will I be able to actually load the SH02 into the System 1 and use it from the synth itself....or will I have to only use them off the computer?...
Yes, you can use all the plug-outs on the System 1 itself, and not need the computer.

You have to run the SH02 VST in a host or your choice, and have your System 1 controlling it via MIDI or USB Midi. Then you press the "Plug-OUT" button on your computer screen VST, and it asks "Are you sure?" Press yes, and it will send the SH02 (and the current bank of presets) to your System 1 Hardware.
kidmoose

Post by kidmoose »

Hi to all;
In regards to the SH02 plug out software....I've purchased it and registered it through Roland and now am ready to download it to the System 1. Downloaded the Sh02 to my laptop but can't see how to get it into the System 1. I do NOT use a host or DAW, my software sounds are all stand alone files I access via MIDI or USB directly into the keyboard. Am I missing something here? MUST I use a host application to run it? Thought like the 64 presets for the System 1 I could just load them into the unit. Those I've asked locally say there should be an install tab to simply load them into the System 1 but I do not see this at all. Again, must ask your help in this (Are you out there "iluvchiclets'!????)
Once again, appreciate any input. (things were so much easier when all I had was a B3...except for the moving part!)
Jerry
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

Hi again,

I just got the notification on this topic - I'm at work over the next few days, so I might not be able to help in detail but I'll try quickly now....

Connect your System 1 via USB and make sure it's recognized.

You do need a VST host. There's free ones (the one I use is VST host)

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Just pick the one program that's right for your computer (x64 or x86) and install it. When you open the VST program, you can probably just drag the Roland VST into the program. (On your computer, it will be called at .dll, something like SH02.dll or like that.)

Once its up and running in the host, then press the button called "Plug-Out" Hope this helps, I'll try to reply when I can over the next few days...
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

(Forget what I said about picking an X86 or X64 version for your computer - the one at the top listed as "http://www.hermannseib.com/programs/vsthostx86.zip" works on both 32bit and 64 bit computers. It should work on yours.)

Let us know how it works! :)
kidmoose

Post by kidmoose »

Thanks, knew I could depend on you!
Now, back to the problem. Did as you said but can't seem to access the SH02 into the host program and when I plug the System 1 into the laptop via USB, can't access THAT either. Yes, I know it's because I am such a computer novice but ANY detailed info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. (I know there are those who can do this as second nature but I am NOT one of them!)
Thanks again;
Jerry
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

Hi again - I'm answering from work, so I am only going by memory on how to access your keyboard and VST plug in using "VST Host"

1) Make sure your System 1 keyboard is plugged into your computer.

2) Make sure you know the location of the downloaded SH02 Plug in on your computer.

3) Start the "VST Host" program. Click on the word "Devices" and then click on the word "MIDI". It should show your System 1 keyboard as the MIDI device. Click on the words "System 1" and then press close.

4) Click on the word "Devices" and then click on the word "Wave". It should show where your sound is going to come from (computer speakers, ASIO interface, etc...) Click on that item, then press close.

5) Click on the word "File", and then "New Plug In". " It will open a search page where you locate your SH02 Plug-out. Click on the SH02 .dll and it should open in VST host. That's all you have to do.

(You can also avoid step 5, by opening the location of the SH02 Plugout ".dll" and simply drag it into the empty space of the VST Host program...)

Let us know how it goes. (If you are not using an ASIO interface with your computer, you should consider buying one. Or consider downloading a free program for your computer called ASIO4ALL. this will help you with the sound on your computer using the Plug Out.)
kidmoose

Post by kidmoose »

Yo Chiclets!!!!
MANY Thanks for all the help you have been providing. Followed your last post and I'm GETTING there!!!!
Now, here seems to be the problem. The vsthost cannot find the SH02 in my desktop, nor in my downloads....although they are in both locations. Using my rather limited computer skills I THINK I see the problem. The SH02 DID download from the Roland site but I DO NOT think it is installed. I went back to my Roland account and it states I have 3 possible installations with my purchase but shows NONE used as of yet. So I went through the process of putting it back in but NO INSTALLATION WIZARD popped up.
I know I'm be so redundant, but customer service from Roland is practically non-existent. Think you can walk me through what to do after I download the SH02. (Seemed to remember with other software, once I downloaded them it automatically prompts an installation wizard.) This is NOT happening. I'm running a Lenovo think pad with Windows 8 and all my Arturia and Toontrack programs run with no problem. (In fact I see I have FL as a program, also. Never used it! Must have gotten it as a bonus somewhere down the line!)
Best as I can tell, I have plenty of space left to run the SH02.
Appreciate your next post and will continue to try. Each time I try I DO get further along the path.
(Plenty of time to do this as the band imploded last week and it's back to going solo!!!!)
Thanks;
Jerry