MX-1 FX - 3 Part Series

Forum for Aira

MX-1 FX - 3 Part Series

Postby ranzee » 11:24, 1 January 2018

I've done a 3 part series on the built-in FX in the MX-1 performance mixer. I figure this may be of help to people as the Roland manuals can sometimes be a bit difficult to follow, and they tend to put stuff in different sections.

Part 1 - Filter FX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBw1gkiX5k

Part 2 - Beat FX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJ_NBwW6lM

Part 3 - Master FX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdwhnLODZB0

I'm thinking about doing a Part 4, covering a bit more on the COMBI FX and tying up loose ends on things I forgot ;)
ranzee

Re: MX-1 FX - 3 Part Series

Postby Mark76 » 01:54, 5 January 2018

Great videos mate!

One question, your MX1 seems very quiet with no dodgy noise/hissing.

I run mine through Ableton and whilst I've managed to reduce the noise (by dropping the gain in Ableton) it still seems to have a slight issue with hiss etc.

Could just be my setup. Do you use your MX1 to sync a DAW?
Mark76

Postby ranzee » 07:38, 5 January 2018

Mark76 wrote:Great videos mate!

One question, your MX1 seems very quiet with no dodgy noise/hissing.

I run mine through Ableton and whilst I've managed to reduce the noise (by dropping the gain in Ableton) it still seems to have a slight issue with hiss etc.

Could just be my setup. Do you use your MX1 to sync a DAW?

Noise/Hiss seems to be a common issue people have. I can tell you that I've experienced it - but it generally rectified by thinking about how digital and analog signals work.

First, Digital: If you're using the 18 channels of input via the USB digital side of the MX-1, it will be a clean pure sound. Any hiss will be gain-staging on your analog ins, ground loops or even just noisey gear. Theoretically an AIRA synth connected via USB should be 100% quiet (but that's just theory). Reality is, there's all the above that can make it go wrong.

Second, Analog: I find that the mains out gives a really good high-gain output. So if the issue is that you want to record it with UNITY dB gain out - use the analog mains out via the Mastering FX. Most of my recordings are doing just this - and straight into a Zoom H6 recorder. That way, when I give my demos - I'm not treating the audio in any other way.

Another issue I've found is that boosting the in-built pre-amps tends to increase the noise levels. If you're using the digital recording features - keep your PRE levels low. You can always treat/gain the signal in your DAW.

Work-arounds: there's always more than one way to "skin a cat" - so try different things out:

• Avoid ground loop
  • Avoid impedence noise
  • Use power filters on your mains
  • Use the USB inputs for AIRA/JD-Xx Roland gear
  • Use the main mix output for Unity requirements
  • Don't use too much pre amp
  • fix up low levels in DAW (more pure results)

At the end of the day, the MX-1 isn't a high-end mixer for studio pro recording. It is a DJ product, live performances or home producer (semi-prosumer). You can fix these issues with a bit of research and know-how. If it is a big deal for you - use a highend mixer - look at Presonus, Mackie, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft. For my commercial releases I use a Presonus StudioLive mixer - which is fully digital and has a much nicer preamp setup.

Hope this helps ;)
ranzee

Postby Manic » 16:31, 7 January 2018

I fixed my hiss by using a di box (between the outputs of mx-1 and my active speakers)
Manic

Postby Myrk- » 11:39, 14 January 2018

Don't forget for each effect there are like 7 variations, and you can use all different variants within 1 beat (don't just have to specify delay 1, or scatter 7 for a whole sequence, you can use delay 1, then delay 2 on step 5 or whatever).
Myrk-

Return to Aira