MX-1 FX - 3 Part Series

Forum for Aira
ranzee

MX-1 FX - 3 Part Series

Post by ranzee »

I've done a 3 part series on the built-in FX in the MX-1 performance mixer. I figure this may be of help to people as the Roland manuals can sometimes be a bit difficult to follow, and they tend to put stuff in different sections.

Part 1 - Filter FX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBw1gkiX5k

Part 2 - Beat FX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJ_NBwW6lM

Part 3 - Master FX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdwhnLODZB0

I'm thinking about doing a Part 4, covering a bit more on the COMBI FX and tying up loose ends on things I forgot ;)
Mark76

Re: MX-1 FX - 3 Part Series

Post by Mark76 »

Great videos mate!

One question, your MX1 seems very quiet with no dodgy noise/hissing.

I run mine through Ableton and whilst I've managed to reduce the noise (by dropping the gain in Ableton) it still seems to have a slight issue with hiss etc.

Could just be my setup. Do you use your MX1 to sync a DAW?
ranzee

Post by ranzee »

Mark76 wrote:Great videos mate!

One question, your MX1 seems very quiet with no dodgy noise/hissing.

I run mine through Ableton and whilst I've managed to reduce the noise (by dropping the gain in Ableton) it still seems to have a slight issue with hiss etc.

Could just be my setup. Do you use your MX1 to sync a DAW?
Noise/Hiss seems to be a common issue people have. I can tell you that I've experienced it - but it generally rectified by thinking about how digital and analog signals work.

First, Digital: If you're using the 18 channels of input via the USB digital side of the MX-1, it will be a clean pure sound. Any hiss will be gain-staging on your analog ins, ground loops or even just noisey gear. Theoretically an AIRA synth connected via USB should be 100% quiet (but that's just theory). Reality is, there's all the above that can make it go wrong.

Second, Analog: I find that the mains out gives a really good high-gain output. So if the issue is that you want to record it with UNITY dB gain out - use the analog mains out via the Mastering FX. Most of my recordings are doing just this - and straight into a Zoom H6 recorder. That way, when I give my demos - I'm not treating the audio in any other way.

Another issue I've found is that boosting the in-built pre-amps tends to increase the noise levels. If you're using the digital recording features - keep your PRE levels low. You can always treat/gain the signal in your DAW.

Work-arounds: there's always more than one way to "skin a cat" - so try different things out:
  • Avoid ground loop
  • Avoid impedence noise
  • Use power filters on your mains
  • Use the USB inputs for AIRA/JD-Xx Roland gear
  • Use the main mix output for Unity requirements
  • Don't use too much pre amp
  • fix up low levels in DAW (more pure results)
At the end of the day, the MX-1 isn't a high-end mixer for studio pro recording. It is a DJ product, live performances or home producer (semi-prosumer). You can fix these issues with a bit of research and know-how. If it is a big deal for you - use a highend mixer - look at Presonus, Mackie, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft. For my commercial releases I use a Presonus StudioLive mixer - which is fully digital and has a much nicer preamp setup.

Hope this helps ;)
Manic

Post by Manic »

I fixed my hiss by using a di box (between the outputs of mx-1 and my active speakers)
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Don't forget for each effect there are like 7 variations, and you can use all different variants within 1 beat (don't just have to specify delay 1, or scatter 7 for a whole sequence, you can use delay 1, then delay 2 on step 5 or whatever).
mlabbee

Post by mlabbee »

Manic wrote:I fixed my hiss by using a di box (between the outputs of mx-1 and my active speakers)
Not to derail the thread, but can you share what DI box you use? I've been doing a little research, but not really sure what to get.
Manic

Post by Manic »

I got this one https://www.bax-shop.nl/di-box/devine-m ... gIT-vD_BwE
But I think any stereo DI box with ground lift switch would do the trick.
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

Myrk- wrote:Don't forget for each effect there are like 7 variations, and you can use all different variants within 1 beat (don't just have to specify delay 1, or scatter 7 for a whole sequence, you can use delay 1, then delay 2 on step 5 or whatever).
Good to know. After having a good play around with mine, I realise there is a lot more to the MX1 that it first seems. It's a good mixer but not brilliant...
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer I just changed my mixer out to a Roland M-480 48 mono/24 stereo input analogue line mixer (the rack mountable analog mixer not the digital one with the same name) but I'll be using one of the six (yes 6!) fx send returns to go to the MX-1 and use an analogue channel in stereo for sequenced FX. The sequenced FX on the MX-1 is such a strong point for not ditching it, but as a main mixer it's not fantastic imo.

Maybe we will see a MX-1S now the TR-8 has a new variant?
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

Myrk- wrote:Yer I just changed my mixer out to a Roland M-480 48 mono/24 stereo input analogue line mixer (the rack mountable analog mixer not the digital one with the same name) but I'll be using one of the six (yes 6!) fx send returns to go to the MX-1 and use an analogue channel in stereo for sequenced FX. The sequenced FX on the MX-1 is such a strong point for not ditching it, but as a main mixer it's not fantastic imo.

Maybe we will see a MX-1S now the TR-8 has a new variant?
Wow that is a serious bit of kit, kind of puts the MX1 in perspective!!

My main gripes with the MX1 is the noise/hiss, and the lack of bus power on USB 1,2 and 4. Just seems like it wouldn't have taken them much more effort to make this a really great product. They were kind of 70% there. Sometimes it feels that Roland R&D don't talk to each other. One group is building the MX1 and don't communicate to another group that are building the Boutiques.

Yes, my money is on an MX1S which will probably answer all of the above!!! Classic planned obsolescence from Roland
Outrageous

Post by Outrageous »

Good day Ranzee

Thank you for your YouTube Channel. I have subscribed. I was wondering if it is possible to do a video on how to setup MX-1 in FL Studio. I just got an MX-1. I want to hookup the following to the MX-1:
System 8, TB-3', TR8s, Vt4, Korg Minilogue XD, Monologue , Korg Kaosilator Pro, Korg Kaoss, Waldorf Pulse 2.

I have only found two videos on YouTube and they were completely useless. I am very new to using hardware with a DAW so what people take for granted in terms of setup and settings is Greek to me.
Love the way you do videos so hopefully you will be able to do.
ranzee

Post by ranzee »

Outrageous wrote:Good day Ranzee

Thank you for your YouTube Channel. I have subscribed. I was wondering if it is possible to do a video on how to setup MX-1 in FL Studio. I just got an MX-1. I want to hookup the following to the MX-1:
System 8, TB-3', TR8s, Vt4, Korg Minilogue XD, Monologue , Korg Kaosilator Pro, Korg Kaoss, Waldorf Pulse 2.

I have only found two videos on YouTube and they were completely useless. I am very new to using hardware with a DAW so what people take for granted in terms of setup and settings is Greek to me.
Love the way you do videos so hopefully you will be able to do.
Hi, many thanks! I don't have FL Studio - so I can't be much help. Perhaps someone else in the forum here might be able to offer some assistance.