TR8S feature requests

Forum for Aira
joefrost01

TR8S feature requests

Post by joefrost01 »

I recently took delivery of a TR8S and absolutely love it but there are a few things that I think would make it better and wanted to put them out there to see what other people thought (and in the hope that Roland might read them):

• Melodic sequencing (would need to be able to route a melodic track to a different MIDI channel)
• Tune optionally in semitones to allow easier building of simple basslines and suchlike
• Muted tracks optionally included in headphone mix for cueing
• Delay/Reverb routing – independent, delay->reverb, reverb->delay
• Delete factory samples to free up memory - some are great but some are toe-curlingly awful
• Per step sample selection (this would be amazing)
• Non-destructive sample loop settings at kit level
• Bus compressor or tape emulation on main mix as additional effect (need to keep the LPF/HPF too)
• Purchasable sample memory expansion
• Sidechain shapes for LFO
• Per track shuffle
• Reset bar count parameter for tracks with length<16 e.g keep looping but go to start every 4 bars
• Euclidian patterns (long shot I know)

Some of the above are pretty easy to do, some are probably nothing more than wishful thinking but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the list.

All the best,

Joe
Nig

Re: TR8S feature requests

Post by Nig »

I'd agree with most of these, especially the Sample per step. I'd like to see either the ability to apply motion to more than one CTRL option - AFAICT you can only do one, or allow the tune and decay knobs to be assignable like the ctrl knob.

I'd also add the ability to import samples contained in folders individually, rather than all at once.
joefrost01 wrote:
• Tune optionally in semitones to allow easier building of simple basslines and suchlike
If you set the ctrl knob to coarse, you can already do this. It allows a 4 octave spread in semitone steps, which you can then motion record. The preset OSC Sine Low is great to apply this way for a nice deep bass:-)
joefrost01

Post by joefrost01 »

That's good news, I couldn't see a ref to it in the manual though or is it this one:

Sample tone only
Coarse Tune -24–0–+24 Specifies the pitch in semitone steps
Nig

Post by Nig »

Yep, that's the one.
Pk3776

Post by Pk3776 »

I would like to see a sending of the channels to the headphone output as you would get on a dj mixer. So a key combination brings up the send to headphones option and this allows us to send or mute to the headphones. This would be great to work on a sound in isolation from others..... if this is already possible, please tell me how.
Zulubavo

Post by Zulubavo »

Agreed on all, especially tuning by using SHIFT + TUNE to rise by semitones.
Plus the ability to save tuning positions to patterns would be great, unless there is a way to do this that I have missed?? I have Knob mode set to CATCH and ManuallMode set to ALL. Its doing my head in.....
Jekow

Post by Jekow »

I would like a song or track mode like on the tr08. That would free me up to play a piano without having to press a variation or fill button. The tr08 has a much better build quality, but I'll get used to that. The ability to nudge individual trigs or tracks would also be great. Some of preset samples are no gos , it would be nice to overwrite preset samples. Question. Some parameter editing functions are are available in kit, instrument and sample modes, I sometimes don't know what mode to use , example course tune.
mjames4208

Post by mjames4208 »

I want to see a full vst editor. Similar to the one one the integra-7.
I also want to suggest the entire library from the Roland R8mkII.
Zulubavo

Post by Zulubavo »

Feature request : The ability to save mutes in variations
funktree

Post by funktree »

Nig wrote:I'd agree with most of these, especially the Sample per step. I'd like to see either the ability to apply motion to more than one CTRL option - AFAICT you can only do one, or allow the tune and decay knobs to be assignable like the ctrl knob.

I'd also add the ability to import samples contained in folders individually, rather than all at once.
agreed!
funktree

Post by funktree »

isn’t the scatter implementation lame ? any opinions, needs some life right ?

- faster sample load
- more motion CTL ...yes
- more than one LFO to get some life
- ability to control the roll velocity
- shift + value directly changes the value (no need to hit enter)
or enter + value for ONE hand parameter changes (so I don’t need two hands to quickly change parameter)
- random random random (step trigger, Control ...the LFO could work I assume)
- better effects - reverb is not a big improvement over the other units

can you see that I got spoiled by the DELUGE... That unit has so many cool things.
I can see that Roland pick a few things from DELUGE... like LAST step, LFO, motion etc
elamen

Post by elamen »

Micro timing of notes! Finely shifting them forward or backward on the grid.
aminoplacid

Post by aminoplacid »

Would love a deeper midi implementation. Specifically, multiple channel support for individual track control over instrument parameters via external controllers. As far as I can tell, only a single midi channel is supported on the entire device and only knobs are controllable via midi cc. Would appreciate cc control over instrument parameters not tied to a knob.
charlie360x

Post by charlie360x »

Adding my two cents so far:

1. Direct change mode in which you can move to another pattern/variation "legato" so that if you trigger the pattern/variation change on bar 2 of the first pattern/variation, the second pattern/variation will play from its bar 2

2. Ability to disable Start/Stop mode if in Slave mode. Or sync it to the host Start/Stop button

3. Note Repeat for the performance pad

4. Generating a random pattern for specific instrument, not the whole pattern. For example, I just want to have pattern 1 and variation B playing, and now I want to generate randomly only Snares, instead of the whole pattern (ptn select and sample buttons)

5. With so many FX built within TR8s, I wish this hardware had two rows of CTRL knobs. So Tune, Decay, Ctrl, Ctrl...
MrB

Post by MrB »

Great unit love what this thing can do.

Someone else mentioned about the micro timing of notes, I agree - it would be ideal to be able to nudge each step of the grid slightly to give it a more organic/retro feel.

Alex Virgo - Ze Dance comes to mind :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepgWhtgLCE