TR8S feature requests

Forum for Aira
autopoiesis

Re: TR8S feature requests

Post by autopoiesis »

In agreement with many of the posts here. My wishes for TR-8S, with most-wanted at the top:

#1 = microtiming:
Micro timing of notes! Finely shifting them forward or backward on the grid.
--
#2 = direct jump between patterns:
Direct change mode in which you can move to another pattern/variation "legato" so that if you trigger the pattern/variation change on bar 2 of the first pattern/variation, the second pattern/variation will play from its bar 2
--
#3 = deeper MIDI implementation. I would add here to please also include MUTE in the MIDI implementation. Since we have to rely on external MIDI to get any kind of "song mode" chaining of patterns, we should at least be able to externally control mute states, which are important in transitions between patterns.
Would love a deeper midi implementation. Specifically, multiple channel support for individual track control over instrument parameters via external controllers. As far as I can tell, only a single midi channel is supported on the entire device and only knobs are controllable via midi cc. Would appreciate cc control over instrument parameters not tied to a knob.
--
#4 = per-track shuffle
--
#5 = per-step sample selection
--
#6 = more than one LFO

If at least a couple of these get implemented, nobody would have any reason to hang onto their Elektron Rytms or Digitakts, etc.
Manic

Post by Manic »

Maybe someone already suggested it, but the 1 thing I really miss is a pitch (not tune) control for all ACB sounds. Right now I can not make a lower pitched 909 kick to match the pitch of my bassline for example. I can only change the tune, which affects the pitch envelope, but not the global pitch. I have to sample it and load it back in to do this, which is a pita.

I'd also love some new ACB type models, not based on a vintage drum machine, but fresh and really flexible in terms of sound shaping. It should be able to go from 808 to 909 and anything in between and beyond. This would really make this a dream machine :)
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith »

Been loving the TR-8s so far, but have a few wishes myself:

- A way to reload the Kit on the fly via some button combo. Elektron owners will get what I'm on about.
- Ability to assign Tune and Decay knobs to other parameters if we want. I almost never use those but would if I could assign them.
- I wish the channel strip colors stayed to their assigned colors in Mute Mode, instead of all going green.
- On that note, I wish we could select which tracks to mute or unmute while the Mute Button is held down, and the actual muting only happens when you released it. This would be in addition to the current functionality, not replace it.
- Some way to see which pattern slots are being used, and which are blank or init. Make the blank pattern buttons half bright or something.
charlie360x

Post by charlie360x »

Conditional trigs! This musi be easy to implement and I’m sure it’s doable in tr8s
minimaltom

Post by minimaltom »

The main thing for me that I don't like about the tr8s is the clunky sample import feature.

1:
The main thing I dislike about the file system is that you cant have folders within folders. This means that rather than one folder containing all the subfolders from a certain sample pack I've uploaded, instead I have one for kicks/snares/hats/percussion etc. This means that my folder system has around 100+ folders that I have to wade through just to find one sound.

2:
I also wish when you imported a single sample file it wouldn't go back to the utility menu so you have to press import/file and search for the folder all over again just to import another file from the same folder. It would be much more convenient if it stayed in the same folder to just click another sample to import. Even the ok/cancel screen here seems a bit unnecessary.

If it weren't for these 2 issues I'd be pretty much 100% satisfied
saalat

Post by saalat »

I'd love to be able to import my samples from one folder into one (user) categeory... I import around 20 BDs and than I have to select every single sample and put into the corresponding category... what a drag!
tajnost

Post by tajnost »

ROLAND PLEASE:

1) TRIG CONDITIONS
2) SAMPLE PER STEP
3) POSSIBILITY TO SET DIFFERENT LAST STEP FOR DIFFERENT VARIATIONS AND INSTRUMENTS
4) FLANGER / PHASER / CHORUS / RING MOD / FREQ MOD as INSTR EFFECT
5) REV to DEL and DEL to REV option

and IMHO - NO SHIFT + INST or SHIFT + KIT combo, just press INST and you're editing Instrument, just press KIT and edit it, no need to use 2nd hand...

IT WILL BE KILLER!
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

minimaltom wrote: I also wish when you imported a single sample file it wouldn't go back to the utility menu so you have to press import/file and search for the folder all over again just to import another file from the same folder. It would be much more convenient if it stayed in the same folder to just click another sample to import. Even the ok/cancel screen here seems a bit unnecessary.
Yes totally agree with that. It's very annoying that you have to go from the beginning again.
Chri5-HT

Post by Chri5-HT »

Please fix the bug where the 'last step' function doesn't work with the 'trigger out'.
tajnost

Post by tajnost »

Bodde wrote:
minimaltom wrote: I also wish when you imported a single sample file it wouldn't go back to the utility menu so you have to press import/file and search for the folder all over again just to import another file from the same folder. It would be much more convenient if it stayed in the same folder to just click another sample to import. Even the ok/cancel screen here seems a bit unnecessary.
+1
Lionel70

Post by Lionel70 »

Hi just need a mode song !!!!
scalbra

Post by scalbra »

Now that roland released the mc-707 which has probability for steps i think they could easily implement it on the tr-8s.

The second thing i would whish for is note nudge, so you could create your own grooves.

These could just be additional options that show when holding down a step in tr rec mode.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

I brought this drum machine because I believed by the way they advertised it that you could produce full songs on it. What I got was a 16 step no song mode very limited beat box that belongs in the 90's. What features it should have is pretty much everything they created the MC-707 with. All of those features should be apart of the TR8S. It's only going for making basic patterns and it's just overall less useful than it should be and for $749 it's really a ripoff compared to what other boxes like the Digitakt can do.
Deej

Post by Deej »

Please! It has been so damn long! Unquantized step recording, Last step length edit for trigger out!
Come on Roland! :(
Higher-Fi

Post by Higher-Fi »

I Think my feature requests for this machine would have to include the ability to add a secondary function to the pitch and decay knobs with a shift function, being able to set this in the menu and how the knob picks back up again when returning to normal operation.

Secondly to this the most awesome update would be to add partials to the drum voices/channels, being able to layer up samples with the ACB, FM or other samples, having their own layer of editable parameters like phase, envelope, pitch even if not as full as the main voice but with linked main controls would be sublime, this truly would make this the best drum machine of all time!