Connecting hardware to MX 1 to run with Ableton

Forum for Aira
Filter808

Connecting hardware to MX 1 to run with Ableton

Post by Filter808 »

Hi there

I've recently bought the MX-1 and can see a lot of potential in performance. I'm looking to connect my TB-03, Behringer TD-3 and Yamaha AN1X (1990s synth) to my MBP running Live 9.

I'm a bit of a newbie on all the MIDI side of things. I seem to have successfully chained my gear without a computer:

MX-1 (auto sync mode?) usb midi (usb port 3) to TB-03. Standard MIDI out from TB-03 to MIDI in on TD-3, MIDI to AN!X (end of the chain).

This all seems to work well. Pressing start on the MX-1 to start things off then everything plays in sync.

I want to have the option to route this setup through Ableton so I can add my hardware to play alongside my compositions in Ableton. I would ideally also like to be able to record MIDI and audio from the hardware into Ableton.

I seem to have got the audio outs from the TD-3 and AN1x routed correctly as I can see audio in the channels in Ableton (TB-03 also showing audio - via usb).

With the MIDI routing I don't know where to begin I'm afraid...

What are the settings on Live's audio and MIDI tabs?

What are the MIDI settings I need in the session view?

Sorry but a complete newbie here!

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks
9blackoranges

Re: Connecting hardware to MX 1 to run with Ableton

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi,

Just spotted this question and no one seems to have responded? Have you managed to move on since posting this?

My first question would be have you followed the Roland Guide : Mx_1_ ExtMix mode? How far have you got following this?
Filter808

Post by Filter808 »

Many thanks for getting back to me, really appreciate it.

Yes I guess I need to start with putting it in the right mode (Ext Mix). I'm not really sure about the differences between these but I'm thinking:

Use it with a a PC as a MIDI controller mode - mapping sliders, buttons, knobs to Ableton

Use it as a gig as a standalone mixer putting keys, guitars, vocals into it and being able to process effects on each fader

There seem to be a couple of other modes but not quite sure...

I've found this article about Ext Mode which I'm going to work through:

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... ix_e01.pdf

I've been starting with MX1 hooked up to Ableton and then the MX1 (via usb) to TB 03 then MIDI out to Behringer TD3 then MIDI back into MX1. I would really like to be able to record the audio and MIDI from these 2 hardware devices into Live. The main problem I seem to be having really is when I record MIDI into Live from TB 03, this note information is also replicated by the TD 3 which is supposed to be playing a different pattern! Not sure if this is because of settings in Live or hardware MIDI transmit settings?

The TB 03 usb seems to be recording audio on channel 13/14 I think. Is it best to use the usb (port 3) here rather than a standard midi connection? Is the main advantage a saving on battery power? I've also got the 3mm audio jack coming out of the TB 03 into 5/6 mini socket on the MX1. Is this a bit pointless as I'll be recording audio twice?

Sorry for all the questions! I'll have a look at that guide above and see if it throws any light on things.

Many thanks
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi again,

I think you need to walk first, one step at a time. And I will presume you have set up the MX and Ableton as per my previous pointer to the Roland document.

Perhaps start with the TB-03. This should be connected by USB not midi, USB will allow midi and audio. If you connect using midi you obviously can not record audio as it only transmits midi!

Do you want to use Ableton in Session or Arrangement mode?

What is the end game end? Are you trying to produce a full completed song to save/publish/play on its won? Or make a fun song that you can play some parts to alongside it 'live'? Or a DJ style 'show' using loops which you manipulate 'live' to build up a song that you can infinitely mold each time you play it, perhaps with some inserts directly played on your other hardware- this would allow full use of the MX and its fx capabilities.

Are you trying to have everything activated/stored in Ableton and fired out to the hardware devices for them to actually play the sounds? Or do you want Ableton to merely start/stop a sequence stored/played on the external hardware?

Are you intending to compose the midi notes in/on Ableton or on/by the external hardware, which you then fire at Ableton and store it there?

If you can give a explanation of how you work it may guide others helping you put it all together.
Filter808

Post by Filter808 »

Hi there

Thanks for getting back.

Yes MX1 in Ext sync mode. I've chosen sync to PC (mbp actually!)

With the TB 03, I've managed to get it recording midi and audio via the usb to port 3. The TB03 also has an audio out 3mm jack. Is it just a lot easier to do this via the TB 03 usb as only one lead is required? I'm guessing if you had 4 Aria devices then 4 usbs is a much neater solution than using MIDI leads and audio jacks? In theory, either method would work for me (I only have the 1 Aria device - TB03) but is it easier via usb?

I've a set of 12 songs I've written in Live using exclusively software - Arturia V collection of synths, Audio Realism ABL 3 303 vst mainly and some drum loops/ Ableton kits. My reason for wanting to get a TB 03, TD 3 and my Yamaha AN1X synth into Live is two fold.

Firstly, although my songs are essentially finished, if I want to perform them live, can I add to them? Replace that ABL 303 with a TB03, use a pad on the synth that I can tweak, add another line in using the TD 3 etc? When I perform these songs live, the plan is to have the arrangements split into intro, verse, chorus, breakdown, outro etc sections of 16 bars or so that I will copy from arrangement view into session view. I will then start scenes (using my Launchkey, launchpad or the MX1).

The second thing I want to do is recording some jams from scratch using my hardware (sure, there may be the odd wav loop that I've put into Live from sample libraries etc). This I guess would be done in arrangement view. Can I do a jam and record the MIDI and audio? The audio automation on the TB03 may potentially being edited afterwards (not the TD3 or Yamaha AN1X as impossible though!) For this, I'm guessing Ableton will literally be starting and stopping the hardware as well as recording in MIDI and audio.

For both of these scenarios, particularly the second one, I'm sure the audio effects on the MX1 will be very useful.

I hope this all makes sense.

Many thanks in advance:)