Trouble Recording TR-8S thru USB into Ableton - Volume too quiet

Post by Kayblack »

Hello,

My setup:
Scarlet Focusrite 2i2
MacBook Pro
Roland TR-8S
Ableton Live 11 Suite

I have everything set up to multi track in Ableton. The USB utility setting is on individual on the TR-8S and I have my drum tracks routed to the corresponding channels. I can record into Ableton with all of my drum tracks just fine except it seems like when I play it back through Ableton, it plays at half volume. What is strange is that when the TR-8S is not recording and just playing, I can see the volume faders in Ableton jump at good levels. Then when it records into Ableton, the volume faders are still rising the exact same levels as if it weren't recording except the actual volume is half as much. I cannot boost the volume faders in Ableton after recording because there's not much room left to boost. I have tried to play with the volume on the TR-8S and my speakers as I'm recording and it doesn't change anything. I've played around with my audio interface but I don't think that is the issue since the TR-8S is just sending the audio directly through USB. I am very new to producing music and am not the keenest on inputs/outputs, mono/stereo and routing preferences in Ableton. It feels like the signal is getting split in half (but what do I know?). I could use the utility audio effect to boost the volume but is that the best method to use here? Not sure if this matters at all but the TR-8S is connected to the computer via USB and also to the Focusrite via TRS cable using the mono port on the back of the TR-8S.