Import patterns+kits from TR-6S to TR-8S?

Forum for Aira
Pherol

Import patterns+kits from TR-6S to TR-8S?

Post by Pherol »

It would be great to bring over work from the 6S to the 8S... Just wondering if anyone has come up with a hack to do this, or if it is confirmed to be not possible. From what I understand it's the same engine, with fewer tracks and a cut-down interface.

Just changing the file extensions from .t6p/.t6k to .t8p/.t8k doesn't work.
TR Editor doesn't have any functions to do it.

I thought if it was encoded in something like XML maybe a script could convert them, but viewing them in a text editor I see they are beyond my novice scripting skills.

Cheers
Foksadure

Re: Import patterns+kits from TR-6S to TR-8S?

Post by Foksadure »

Pherol wrote: 02:29, 27 February 2022Just changing the file extensions from .t6p/.t6k to .t8p/.t8k doesn't work.
Since it works the other way around, it's most likely because the TR-8S expects 11 parts parameters, whereas the TR-6S has the same file system management code that parses the TR-6/8S files, but only imports 6 channels out of 11 anyways.

A solution would be to build a conversion script that crafts a *.t8p/*.t8k from a *.t6p/*.t6k, and add empty/init datas structures for the 5 missing parts.
Like merging a TR-6S file with an empty TR-8S one.
Not sure the fileformat has been reverse engineered though.
The associated txt file could come handy.

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/the-ulti ... -creations
PRO TIPS

One very handy thing about looking at your Back Ups on the computer, is the Back Up Text File. In the BACKUP folder every Back Up includes a text file which lists detailed information regarding all the Patterns and Kits in that Back Up.
Pherol

Re: Import patterns+kits from TR-6S to TR-8S?

Post by Pherol »

Foksadure wrote: 17:08, 12 March 2022 One very handy thing about looking at your Back Ups on the computer, is the Back Up Text File. In the BACKUP folder every Back Up includes a text file which lists detailed information regarding all the Patterns and Kits in that Back Up.
[/quote]

Good idea F., thanks! I will post if I make progress...