TR-8S - 4 years and still no sample menagment tools...

Forum for Aira
marviz

TR-8S - 4 years and still no sample menagment tools...

Post by marviz »

Hi,

Will Roland finally get this hardware more user friendly?

TR Editor was nice* addon but most of all, unlike TR-8, its a sampler. It means that huge part of it is sample playback and for now its really pain in the butt if i have more than one sample to inport at once.

And how that stands? Even the "S" proudly stands in GREEN in TR-8S logo but for real it has been forgotten. Its not "S" anymore, just an "s".

- You cant import folders directly into User cattegories (Really Roland? Seariously?).
- Completly no TR Editor functions related to samples menagment (Not a single one).
- No way to change sample category in TR Editor (Is this that hard?).

I have so much mess in my samples because of lack of this tools, i just dont have time to change user categories one by one. This is just so much not cool from you.

Dear Roland, you have a huge technical man power, programmers, technicians, musicians, people with vision... Cant you get this done right? If so, maby go open source, release some knowlage so people that care could make stuff if you dont...

*It loads way to long and sometimes it just closes itself for no reason.

Hope, still TR-8S user.
Orbit-50

Re: TR-8S - 4 years and still no sample menagment tools...

Post by Orbit-50 »

marviz wrote: 20:15, 12 March 2022 Dear Roland, you have a huge technical man power, programmers, technicians, musicians, people with vision... Cant you get this done right? If so, maby go open source, release some knowlage so people that care could make stuff if you dont...
They've leased the built in audio interface technology from another company, but I don't know if they would start doing that for other technologies as well. Your point is valid though. I...just like you, have cursed many oversights from Roland over the years but finally came to the realization that this is how it's always been, and will probably always be. There are many factors to consider when designing a product. Quality, vs. cost, vs. features etc...

Having said that, they tend to omit certain things that leave one scratching their heads and shouting at the clouds as to why they have not included this or that feature, but I have put it into perspective and I will share this with you. Sometimes things don't work exactly how we want them to. Sometimes things are much harder to achieve then we want them to. At the end of the day, overcoming these small obstacles make us better. In the case of the TR-8s, this shortcoming forced me to very carefully choose the samples I would load, which in turn, made me think, " Do I really need to cram 40,000 drum samples into it?" It made me pick out the drum samples that I found to be the best, and I ran with those. Now I don't waste my time, or my creativity spark, hunting through the trillions of drum samples that I originally wanted to load into the TR-8s.

The lessons learned through these lack of certain features continue today with Roland products. It helps me grow and I'm thankful for that. Hell, sometimes I even think they design things the way they do for this very reason. What they don't omit though, is extreme quality, usefulness, value, and a couple of hidden features that make you say, "Wow, this is freaking awesome, I'm so glad I bought this". So, each time you run across one of these "convenience feature" omissions, stop for a moment, think for a second, and figure a way to utilize what's there in a different way, and I guarantee you will have a positive experience when you come out the other end.
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

Orbit-50 wrote: 21:45, 12 March 2022They've leased the built in audio interface technology from another company
Source on this?

All their audio/MIDI USB drivers are published under the Roland Corporation tag.
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... x?q=Roland
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... px?q=tr-8s
marviz

Post by marviz »

Orbit-50 wrote: 21:45, 12 March 2022
marviz wrote: 20:15, 12 March 2022 Dear Roland, you have a huge technical man power, programmers, technicians, musicians, people with vision... Cant you get this done right? If so, maby go open source, release some knowlage so people that care could make stuff if you dont...
They've leased the built in audio interface technology from another company, but I don't know if they would start doing that for other technologies as well. Your point is valid though. I...just like you, have cursed many oversights from Roland over the years but finally came to the realization that this is how it's always been, and will probably always be. There are many factors to consider when designing a product. Quality, vs. cost, vs. features etc...

Having said that, they tend to omit certain things that leave one scratching their heads and shouting at the clouds as to why they have not included this or that feature, but I have put it into perspective and I will share this with you. Sometimes things don't work exactly how we want them to. Sometimes things are much harder to achieve then we want them to. At the end of the day, overcoming these small obstacles make us better. In the case of the TR-8s, this shortcoming forced me to very carefully choose the samples I would load, which in turn, made me think, " Do I really need to cram 40,000 drum samples into it?" It made me pick out the drum samples that I found to be the best, and I ran with those. Now I don't waste my time, or my creativity spark, hunting through the trillions of drum samples that I originally wanted to load into the TR-8s.

The lessons learned through these lack of certain features continue today with Roland products. It helps me grow and I'm thankful for that. Hell, sometimes I even think they design things the way they do for this very reason. What they don't omit though, is extreme quality, usefulness, value, and a couple of hidden features that make you say, "Wow, this is freaking awesome, I'm so glad I bought this". So, each time you run across one of these "convenience feature" omissions, stop for a moment, think for a second, and figure a way to utilize what's there in a different way, and I guarantee you will have a positive experience when you come out the other end.
Hungry artist is a fertile artist (as they say where i am)

I've get your words. I know that some limitations can trigger artists into new level but this is not the case here. I'm just pissed off for that "it should be here from beginning" thing isnt there for 4 years. As you can see, "the limit workflow" was no argue for releasing TR Editor. As for "hard decisions", i bet the fancy led pots was more important then sample menagment menu or simple "import folder into category ***". This simple feature could be enough for me, nothing more i want.

As for now, im just pissed off, and im not playing heavy metal here.
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

Foksadure wrote: 22:09, 12 March 2022
Orbit-50 wrote: 21:45, 12 March 2022They've leased the built in audio interface technology from another company
Source on this?

All their audio/MIDI USB drivers are published under the Roland Corporation tag.
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... x?q=Roland
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... px?q=tr-8s
Not the drivers, the hardware. I read it a couple of years back, and I was surprised, but it made sense to me somehow. It goes back to marviz's statement that they should farm out some work to independants for certain things, and they did it with the audio interface thingy.
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

marviz wrote: 22:31, 12 March 2022 Hungry artist is a fertile artist (as they say where i am)

I've get your words. I know that some limitations can trigger artists into new level but this is not the case here. I'm just pissed off for that "it should be here from beginning" thing isnt there for 4 years. As you can see, "the limit workflow" was no argue for releasing TR Editor. As for "hard decisions", i bet the fancy led pots was more important then sample menagment menu or simple "import folder into category ***". This simple feature could be enough for me, nothing more i want.

As for now, im just pissed off, and im not playing heavy metal here.
Hey, I totally get your point, but if you look at their track record, it is what it is, and it ain't gonna change. I can assure you that.
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

Orbit-50 wrote: 03:59, 13 March 2022Not the drivers, the hardware. I read it a couple of years back
I'd still like a source.
Along with the ubiquitous ARM these days, they use rebadged Hitachi or Renesas standard chips, mostly.
But design varies.
The TR-6S and MC-101 are (basically) the same hardware running totally different software.