[SOLVED] MIDI/NRPN code to change kit on TR-8S?

Forum for Aira
Architekt

[SOLVED] MIDI/NRPN code to change kit on TR-8S?

Post by Architekt »

I've read the MIDI implementation chart and there's plenty of control codes for everything I need except for one that would be ideal: changing the kit. I don't suppose there's either an NRPN or an undocumented MIDI setting that would let me set this via my DAW?

Edit: found it. It's undocumented. First, find what your kit channel is assigned to by going into utility->MIDI->Kit Ch. In my case it was the default, 1. Look up the program change code for this channel, which you can do so from the MIDI standard's website here: https://www.midi.org/specifications-old ... atus-bytes

Scroll down to "Chan 1 Program Change", and for whatever your kit channel is assigned to, find the "Chan [Kit Ch] Program Change" line: look in the column to the left. In the case of say kit channel 1, you'll see this: 11000000= C0= 192. The value you want is 192. The data to send is the number of the kit channel minus 1 (so if you want kit channel 5 on your device, you'd send 4). If you're using Fruity Loops and their MIDI python scripting module, an example of how you'd do this would be:

device.midiOutMsg(192, 0, 4, 0)
According to the Fruity Loops docs, the 4 parameters in order correspond to these MIDI values:
1 - midi ID
2 - channel
3 - data1
4 - data2

So, again using my example with my kit channel assigned to 1 and wanting to set the kit to #5, we can see that for the MIDI ID I looked up "Chan 1 Program Change" from that link and saw that the value for it was 192. The second parameter is my kit channel minus 1: since it's on channel 1, that makes it 0. The third parameter is my desired kit number minus 1: since I wanted 5, I set 4. The fourth parameter in this case is unused so just send a value of 0. Hope that helps.