TR-8S How to control tempo from external midi source?

Forum for Aira
efgnow

TR-8S How to control tempo from external midi source?

Post by efgnow »

Hi,

I need to set the TR-8S tempo lower than the lowest factory setting of 40 bpm, while retaining the TR-8S functions. That is, I want to program drum patterns, etc, and control only the tempo the patterns play at. Roland says it can be done via midi, which I'm not familiar with yet.

I'm sending tempo from a Behringer Deepmind 12 synth midi out to the TR-8S midi in, but nothing happens, (except once by accident.) I've set all the TR-8S Utility midi settings related to Rx on, and all Tx off, and Tempo sync to midi.

I did once accidentally get the TR-8S to respond to midi in, and it did reproduce a tempo of 30 bps from the synth, but it wouldn't play a pattern, just a single different instument on the beat, which varied depending on a given key pressed on the synth. I haven't been able to get even that to happen again, though.

I'm assuming the synth settings have to match the drum machine settings, but they don't seem to have the same parameters, or call parameters by the same name. The TR-8S manual has nothing useful to say about midi, except to mention midi commands like F8. I have looked at the TR-8S midi pdf, but I have no clue what that means in terms of actually inputing values or setting the two devices to communicate. The TR-8S Utility menu doesn't look to allow that level of input, nor does the Deepmind synth. Just Global settings, no fine tweaks or specific code inputs.

I'm new to midi, understand it's supposed to be a consistent standard across instruments, but I clearly need more information. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
efgnow

Re: TR-8S How to control tempo from external midi source?

Post by efgnow »

Update:

I was able to get this to work. The Deepmind 12 clock had to be set to INTERNAL. That was it. The TR-8S followed that clock down to 20 bpm with no issues.

Once there, experimenting with the drum machine Utility Midi settings, like Rx program change and edit, were easier to understand realtime. While staying in tempo, the TR-8S pattern changed whenever I changed synth patches. Turning Rx Program change off solved that.

I wonder now about all that invisible midi data being exchanged; totally opaque to the musician.

Any suggestions on ways to see and manipulate it? Some interface device that shows what's sent/received?

Thanks.
Chumley

Post by Chumley »

There are various apps for Mac and Windows that will shows midi data (assuming of course that you route it through your computer). Google "midi inspector" and see what comes up.
efgnow

Post by efgnow »

Thanks for the reply, Chumley. Several options turn up, interesting for monitoring.

It's good to know what is going back and forth, but there is still the HUGE quastion about how to set that data, to make an instrument send a particular code, and another device to implement that instruction.