Xi or Xa

Forum for the JD-XA.
Quinnx.

Xi or Xa

Post by Quinnx. »

Which one do you like...

Personally i think the Xi
The XA looks like an eye soar and bulky

Where as the Xi is a neat little package that seems to pack alot of punch for the pre order price of $499.
Im not sure if the XA has any extra features, but just from an aesthetics point of view I see the XI fitting in well for the mobile crew.
Leh173

Re: Xi or Xa

Post by Leh173 »

Depending on what the Xi's Supernatural synth engine is like I think it would be a great addition to the Fantom G in a live setup and nice and compact at home. Depends on what it's limitations are like. I like that it basically has a simple Roland style one OSC analog voice in it, like a SH-101.
The XA looks like a cross between a JP-8000/JD-990 and a JX series analog to me. Could be a beast. First proper Roland synth in a long time. It does look oversized though.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I like both at this point but I think I would prefer owning the XA. The XA has more controls, more keys, more analog with polyphony and I like the larger size. I already have a microkorg and am Not a fan of smaller keys. The Xi seems to be a scaled down/cut back version of the XA. I could end up owning both in the end but I am waiting on more info on the XA before I make any purchases.
Mortenjensen

Post by Mortenjensen »

JD-XA for me

Big synth with full of light just like Korg Radias that can do alot

4 parts analog synth that can be 1 poly synth with two full Oscillators with RingMod,CrossMod,Sync
4 parts Supernatural synth like FA06
Digital part can mix with Analog Osc and run through Analog filter
Drums not sure how that Works if it is a part of is own like JD-XI or in Digital part
Vocoder
Arpeggiator
Pattern Sequencer
The Fx looks like to be 2 Tfx,Delay,Reverb and not sure what the is "Part MFX sw" if it a MFX like in FA06

only a guess ,I read in a Japanese site that Analog filter has 3 lowpass types
1.is Classic Roland filter with 6 dB Highpass filter
2.is MOOG Ladder type
3.a new one

I going to Frankfurt Musikmesse ,hope it will be there
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

@ Synthtron: yeah the korg micro is small but then its suppose to be for portability if you needed it to be.. however the one thing we should not overlook is that although it has small keys.. that can change through MIDI..
Connecting it to say the Fantom.. you automatically got big keys..
Now although i do have one and hardly use it, the one thing that fails it is that there is no usb audio, which would turn it in to some much more than it is..

This is where the XI comes in on portability..
its a audio interface so it can connect directly with your laptop/DAW and as i said if you need big keys just switch over to your fantom and play it there especially if space is at a premium.

Being that the XI is an audio/Midi USB im wondering how compatible it would be with the IPAD, I have not seen any reference to it as a direct audio/midi device.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Of course the microKorg is portable. I have one (the black edition). I got one not for portability but sound and space. I am did not want to spend the $$$ on a MS-2000 so I bought the original microKorg back in 2002 I believe and sold it a few years ago. I actually missed the sounds i created on it and bought the black one i own now last year on a blowout sale.
With the Xi and microKorg it is a cost cutting factor that results in a smaller size.
That is not necessarily a bad thing. Besides being cheaper/cost effective, being a portable mini has its draw backs. You sacrifice space for more controls, more keys and full size keys. Those things are important to some people too.

The USB audio features are nice if you need or want them.

Being Portable, as in a micro-sized synth, is not an issue or need for everybody. Who defines what is portable anyway. Does it have to be less than 20" long and battery powered? The JD-XA looks pretty portable too at 49 keys. Lately I have been using a Jupiter-50 for live performance. The Jupiter-50 is also considered portable and I prefer to take that out over my jupiter-80 that now gets to stay in my studio.

Now back to control and sound. I still like both units BUT the JD-XA appears to trumps the Xi in programmability and features. Which are also important to synthesists. I cannot wait to get the full specs on this.
cresshead

Post by cresshead »

i like the look of both of them...the JD-xi we've already heard and know it's pricepoint..looks/sounds great...love that sequencer!

jd-xa ...i wonder about it's pricing..if it 's not too spenny...will get one!...if it is expensive..same ballpark as the sequential prophet 8 then...will get the jd-xi !

win win really!
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

What MortenJ said. JD-Xa all the way. This is what I've been asking for since the new Jupiters emerged. The analog polysynth is a very sweet bonus to an already powerful, great sounding synth engine. Whatever Roland wants, I'll be there... eventually. ;P

Though as cheap as the Xi is going for, I don;t think the Xa will be more than $1999 US.

Well, too excited, have to go fondle some synthesizers!
cello

Post by cello »

Well, I put my deposit down on a JD-XA today :)

Absolutely no information available on final cost or estimated delivery.

But I've seen enough to know I want it and that it'll be worthy every penny :)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The JD-XA is very cool looking and will be added to my Roland gear in the future. I have waited a long time to buy a brand new analog hybrid from Roland. When I started getting my own synths the D-series was out and Roland had left analog. If you waned analog you had to go used. i am so glad they have chosen finally to go this route and not just give us a monosynth like all the others available. It is nice to see Roland push the technology. Seems like everyone had given up hope that Roland would even touch analog. With the digital and analog being used together it seems like Roland have come full circle.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Here is a YouTube video of the JDXi that show the ADSR envelopes for pitch, amp and filter and how to edit them through menu diving.
The envelopes come up in the video about 3/4 of the way through.
Nice to know that there are dedicated ADSR's on the JDXi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6r7o1E7jK4
FxProject

Post by FxProject »

Jd-xi is a bomb for electro music ( very good sound for drum and synth)
It is very light and portable
JD-Xa is good for studio ....

Fx-project
https://soundcloud.com/fx-project/sets/m-ditations-ep
FxProject

Post by FxProject »

Jd-xi is a bomb for electro music ( very good sound for drum and synth)
It is very light and portable
JD-Xa is good for studio ....

Fx-project
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

richardbates1 wrote:Here is a YouTube video of the JDXi that show the ADSR envelopes for pitch, amp and filter and how to edit them through menu diving.
The envelopes come up in the video about 3/4 of the way through.
Nice to know that there are dedicated ADSR's on the JDXi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6r7o1E7jK4

Thanks for sharing now I am more interested in the Di too. I had no idea you could change the the ADSR of the amp and the filter and LFO.

Sounds are saved on the JD-xi by saving a program not sounds as patches or do I have that wrong?

I also wonder what Supernatural sounds are given. I have not found a patch/tone list yet.
FxProject

Post by FxProject »

One paramèter list with tone list is available for download in Roland us
256 prog with each 3 sounds + 1drum kit
That make 768 synth sounds and 256 drum kit
+ 256 digital sounds + 64 analog Sounds + 32 drum kits

Fx-project
https://soundcloud.com/fx-project/sets/ ... -play-list