JD-XA Info on Roland's site

Forum for the JD-XA.
Leh173

JD-XA Info on Roland's site

Post by Leh173 »

Just been looking at this page

http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/products/jd-xa/features/

Had a listen to the videos. The 2nd one gives a great idea of how it sounds, which even over youtube is fantastic. Sounds like a cross between a Juno/JP-8000/Jupiter-80 and JD-800 and very very warm. Pure Roland. I'm excited as my JP-8000 has been dying for a while (i keep getting it repaired) and this may be the replacement I've been looking for, so to me it's like my Juno 106 crossed with the JP, but probably is much more than that. Perhaps even the sound of the JX series to a point. The fact you can run the Digital stuff through the analog filters is fantastic. Be very curious to see the price. I think Roland are back in business big time.
cello

Re: JD-XA Info on Roland's site

Post by cello »

UK price is £1549 (street).

I love the sound and overall character of the XA - am battling with myself about getting 2 (I ordered one a month or so ago). Old-ish and new all in the same box; great!
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

A very nice synth indeed, but still a bit of a SuperNatural overkill for me.
When i buy this one, my Jupiter 80 has to go and well....that's not gonna happen. ;-)
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I won't be selling my Jupiter80 either, especially for a synth with a bloomin' wall wart lol.

I may however, find myself overlooking this matter and get one regardless.

I look forward to the comments from the early adopters.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I will keep my Jupiter-80 too. The JD-XA only has 64 voices of polyphony for its digital side? I was expecting at least 128.

The JD-XA is cool looking but is priced a little higher than I was expecting. It is planned to ship this month I think.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

After watching and hearing some demos, I am not that impressed to be honest.
Sure it's a vey good sounding instrument, no doubt about that, but I am not overwhelmed.
I didn't hear anything which I can't make already.
The analog part didn't blow me away, in fact it made me realize how good Roland is in making sound things analog with digital instruments.

My conclusion is that it is a very well designed and nice sounding synthesizer, but with already Jupiter 80 in possession there is no way for me to justify the spending of another € 2000,-
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I agree, Roland has done a nice job of creating analog sounds using digital techniques. Having the JD-Xi and messing around with it I was thinking that exact same thing! I can get most of what the JD-Xi's analog is capable of on my Jupier-80 and 50. When the analog is compared to my Juno-60 and 106 the filter on the JD-Xi does not have the kind of character of those old ones that make interesting sounds I cannot get on newer synths including miniBrute/microBrute, Bass Station II (I had them and sold them even had and sold the MD-20 mini). For me the old synths yielded more interesting sounds with their PWM and Filters. I really believe that since the Filters on the old synths are Voltage controlled that gives them more character and something organic that is missing on the new JD-Xi. I could be completely wrong about the new filters not being voltage controlled but something to my ears is lacking.

I wonder if Roland will continue to develop the ACB modeling. It would be awesome if they could ccontinue creating ABC models that could recreate Jupiters and Junos. They will need a larger keyboard and format verses what the System-1 offers.

Now that I know more about the JD-XA and have experience with the JD-Xi's sound, my interest in the JD-XA has waned a little bit. I still like it but I will not rush to be first in line to get it. The analog side of the JD-XA is still exciting having more voices and a few more filter options and of course all of the control s at your finger tips.

The unit is priced higher than I was expecting and I was hoping that the synth was going to have a built in power supply and a more substantial build (more metal). These things are not really deal breakers for me. This may be the Flagship of the JD-X line but it is not what I would consider a Roland Flagship synthesizer. The Price is not really an issue at this point for me it is more of what I have and what gear I can get that really add something to what I have. I have a lot of Roland synths, like 18, ranging from Juno-60 to JD-Xi. I guess I am in the crew that is wanting a Jupiter-8. I guess if I want a Jupiter-8 I will need to cough up $7,000- $10,000. That hurts so bad. Even if I sold all of my Roland gear to get a Jupiter-8, it probably would not be enough. That is crazy! and I would not!

I do have a 1958 Thunderbird I have played with the thought about selling to get the funds for a Jupiter-8.
Hmm Thunderbird or Jupiter-8?

Never mind I will stick with my Arturia Jupiter-8V for the time being.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I am still really impressed with the JDXA.
Interesting that it is only 64 voice digital and no drum kits?
For me the sound is great, I love the blend of analog and digital and the hands on control.
I am assuming that the sequencer is as easy to use as the JDXi but not sure on that, I hope they have more videos showcasing the sequencer?

For now I think I will get the JDXi, love the portability and the ease of use.
Scott Tibbs in one of the videos stated that the JDXA won't be available until mid summer anyway.

Synthtron whatever you do....don't sell your 1958 Thunderbird!!!!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The JD-Xi and the JD-XA definitely compliment each other. I could see the JD-XA to handling pads and stabs and the JD-Xi doing drums and rhythm sounds.

About the JD-Xi (I may mention in a new post) there may be a bug in the LFO section but I have not confirmed it yet. I have noticed when I change the LFO rate knob there is a bit of wobble and scattering. I have to mess with it more later on.
funktree

Post by funktree »

Synthtron wrote:I agree, Roland has done a nice job of creating analog sounds using digital techniques. Having the JD-Xi and messing around with it I was thinking that exact same thing!
Right on money here... Somehow at back of my mind I think that roland made a statement here ..."look guys our digital is almost as good as analog" and here you have two machines that can help you to compare.

It will be easy now to A/B both engines and I"d love to see comparison of analog and super natural. I got my JD-XI in-bound (replaced b/c of faulty pot) but as soon as i have some time I will compare the digital and analog I was blown away from JD-XI sounds. Almost all usable right out-of-the box.

The real showstopper to get bigger brother JD-XA for me is a) price b) no drums... really ?

... also one of the first question that Nick B. from sonicstate asked on MESSE'15 was... is there a swing on the sequencer.
Roland should do something with THAT... Perhaps something like korg did in the electribe with grooves would make a lot of sense to get more natural sequences.

FunkTree
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Well I'm not bothered about the drums, I don't miss them on any other synth, but the price is higher than I was hoping. $AUD 3199 here in Australia (though our exchange rate recently crapped out). I'll still play one, but my enthusiasm has cooled.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Leh173 wrote:Well I'm not bothered about the drums, I don't miss them on any other synth, but the price is higher than I was hoping. $AUD 3199 here in Australia (though our exchange rate recently crapped out). I'll still play one, but my enthusiasm has cooled.
I am with you about not being bothered about the lack of drums on the JD-XA. I do not understand why Roland bothered putting drums on the Jupiter-80.
I am surprised at the price too.
Mortenjensen

Post by Mortenjensen »

I play JD-XA for a Hour
I would say it is super fantastic sounds great

Part 1 of my Demo
https://soundcloud.com/mortenjensen-5/roland-jd-xa

Part 2 by Max from Roland and you can do Drums on JD-XA
https://soundcloud.com/mortenjensen-5/roland-jd-xa-2
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Thanks for posting these Mortenjensen, gives a good idea of how it sounds. Very Roland to me. I can hear the vibe of the JP-8000 and JX series and JD series for sure. Even a sound I thought only my D-70 can do seemed to be in there. I look forward to playing one. Oh and your Jarre riffs made me chuckle. Haha. Great stuff.
cresshead

Post by cresshead »

still NO demo video anywhere on planet earth of the sequencer in the JD-Xa
...come on roland it's like 1/3 of the product....SHOW it.