Roland has 3 new boutique synths

Forum for boutique synths
richardbates1

Re: Roland has 3 new boutique synths

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:I also really want to see how the JU-06 and the JX-03 sound compared to the real deals that I do have so I have decided to get those as well but only one K-25m.
Here is a great video showing comparisons between the JX3P and the JX-03, the Juno 106 and the JU-06
It starts at 24:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZArcYT3Nvck
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

richardbates1 wrote:
Synthtron wrote:I also really want to see how the JU-06 and the JX-03 sound compared to the real deals that I do have so I have decided to get those as well but only one K-25m.
Here is a great video showing comparisons between the JX3P and the JX-03, the Juno 106 and the JU-06
Thanks for sharing, I took a listen. Some of the patches sound pretty close if not identical but interesting how some do not sound as close. In some sounds there is a definate difference. Some of the comparisons sound brighter or darker. The Chorus noise is pretty loud on their original synths seem louder than on my JX-3p and Juno-106. Maybe that is because of some kind of compression or sound processing?
I will get them within the month and to try them and tweak 'em myself. I am curious if the filters were adjusted a bit on either synth to get closer. The Boutiques so far have alot of the same characteristc of the originals. IMO these are by far closer emulations than the Jupiter-80 comparisons that Scott Tibbs demonstrated a few years ago.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:
Thanks for sharing, I took a listen. Some of the patches sound pretty close if not identical but interesting how some do not sound as close. In some sounds there is a definate difference. Some of the comparisons sound brighter or darker. The Chorus noise is pretty loud on their original synths seem louder than on my JX-3p and Juno-106. Maybe that is because of some kind of compression or sound processing?
I will get them within the month and to try them and tweak 'em myself. I am curious if the filters were adjusted a bit on either synth to get closer. The Boutiques so far have alot of the same characteristc of the originals. IMO these are by far closer emulations than the Jupiter-80 comparisons that Scott Tibbs demonstrated a few years ago.
I agree these synth emulations sound so much closer to the actual originals than the JP80.
The Jupiter 80 is it's own synth, with it's own sound quality. The Jupiter 80 VA section sounds a bit more digital and lacks the analog quality that I think these Boutique synths capture.

I am a believer in the ACB technology, it really sounds so close to the originals!
With the Jupiter 80 VA section you were trying to create sounds that were close to the Jupiter 8 based on the Jupiter 80 structure which most times never matched up per control.
But with the JP-08 you are creating sounds based on the really, really close emulation of sound and structure of the actual Jupiter 8 synth, from ground up so no matter what sound you create with the JP-08 it has the sound that the Jupiter 8 had, the same holds true to the Juno and the JX3P emulations. At least I think?
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I ordered a JP-08.
Just like Cello said, there is a corner on the Jupiter-80 that begs for this little beauty. ;-)

I am very enthusiastic about ACB technology.
I am impressed by the sound of the Aira range of products and the Boutique range is a nice surprise.
I can't imagine Roland not following this up with something more substantial.

In the Aira subforum I fantasized about a super ACB synth.
A 5-octave keyboard with knobs and sliders like the JD-XA. Maybe little display beneath each controller instead of labels.
Several ACB parts in which you can download plugouts with decent polyphony.
Several Super Natural Synth parts and a drum part with all the sounds of the TR-8.
All parts have (step)sequencers.
So far for my fantasy.

As far as I know Roland didn't promote the Jupiter-80 as a Jupiter-8 emulation. At least it is not the reason I bought it. It was with Aira and now Boutique that Roland claims they have made recreations of the original instrument.
The Jupiter-80 is a class on it's own in my opinion. If Roland releases a System-2 super ACB flagship synth I will buy it in a minute (well...if I have the funds available at the time ;-) ), but I don't think it will replace my Jupiter-80.
Off course new technology gives us new possibilities like ACB, but whatever manufacturers are up to, a good sounding instrument will stay a good sounding instrument.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Tom_1970 wrote:Just like Cello said, there is a corner on the Jupiter-80 that begs for this little beauty. ;-)
Yes! I think it will look great on the JP80 too.
I tried to get the size ratio correct by measuring 13 inches from the right edge of my JP80,
then placing the images together in Photoshop.
Roland_JP08_JP80.jpg
Roland_JP08_JP80.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Roland_JP08_JP80side.jpg
Roland_JP08_JP80side.jpg (136.04 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
cello

Post by cello »

richardbates1 wrote:
Tom_1970 wrote:Just like Cello said, there is a corner on the Jupiter-80 that begs for this little beauty. ;-)
Yes! I think it will look great on the JP80 too.
I tried to get the size ratio correct by measuring 13 inches from the right edge of my JP80,
then placing the images together in Photoshop.
Now that looks excellent! Begging to be played :)
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I ordered two JP-08 modules. It's been over 30 years since I've played a Jupiter 8 so my memory is quite fuzzy. So I'm not really expecting it to sound like a JP8.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Had a 15% off coupon that was going to expire tonight, so I went ahead and grabbed the JP-08 with it. It wasn't first on my list, but that was going to be the best deal. I'll follow-up and get the JU-06 and a K-25m in a few weeks, and decide on the JX-03 once I hear some more. Kind of kicking myself because I really should be saving for an FA-06 and still dreaming of the JD-XA, but they'll be around for awhile. These Boutiques probably will be as well, but the "limited edition" uncertainty strikes fear in my monkey brain.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

rsaintjohn wrote:Had a 15% off coupon that was going to expire tonight, so I went ahead and grabbed the JP-08 with it. It wasn't first on my list, but that was going to be the best deal. I'll follow-up and get the JU-06 and a K-25m in a few weeks, and decide on the JX-03 once I hear some more. Kind of kicking myself because I really should be saving for an FA-06 and still dreaming of the JD-XA, but they'll be around for awhile. These Boutiques probably will be as well, but the "limited edition" uncertainty strikes fear in my monkey brain.
The limited edition scared the crap put of me too.
I ordered one and hoping to get a second JP-08 in a few months, maybe I should order 2 and not wait to get the second? but oh my pocket book!
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

richardbates1 wrote:The limited edition scared the crap put of me too.
I ordered one and hoping to get a second JP-08 in a few months, maybe I should order 2 and not wait to get the second? but oh my pocket book!
I'm thinking it's 50% true (not a huge run) and 50% marketing, or they wouldn't be pushing it so heavily. Not like "limited to 500 MoroderNova", but with the holidays coming up there will probably be more demand than usual. I figure if I get what I want before tax refund season in the US (Feb-May), I should be alright. But the whole thing is a chunk of change, so best to start now.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

My musicstore only get's two units of each type he told me, so he thought it will be really limited.
If that's just marketing I don't know
Happy

Post by Happy »

Nektar LX25 controller..Euro 97 Akai MK2 25 controller... 94 Euro, Korg Micro Key USB keyboard controller... Euro 59 ..... Roland Boutique keyboard (Not even a controller) Euro 99 ouch... what is unique/different or just very Boutique (or just razor and blade tactics) ?
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

If you do not want to pay for the keyboard, add what ever controller you feel is worth your $$$.
It is cool that Roland gave us the option.
Not everybody likes mini keys or needs a keyboard. It is a good solution for a wide market.
Personally I would prefer full size versions but I like what they are because they do save space and be a desktop module (fits on my Jupiter-80 and 50s perfect) or a keyboard with the optional keyboard.
I ordered all three and one keyboard.
Hope to get them before the end of the month.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

First video i have seen that does a side by side comparison of the JP-08 and the Jupiter 8
It is in German but the playing of the 2 synths side by side the sound is almost identical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWVxitCb0Io