alternative to DAW

Forum for the JD-XA.
Jack.S

alternative to DAW

Post by Jack.S »

Hi guys

Is there any good alternative to a DAW when speaking sequencing ?
For instans if you want to hook up a drummaschine and the JD Xa and keep it fairly simple, Ive been looking at Jd Xi for this matter but would prefer to run a "clean" hardware sequencer, any suggestions?

Br
Jack
PauloF

Re: alternative to DAW

Post by PauloF »

Jack.S wrote:Hi guys

For instans if you want to hook up a drummaschine and the JD Xa and keep it fairly simple, Ive been looking at Jd Xi for this matter but would prefer to run a "clean" hardware sequencer, any suggestions?

Br
Jack
Hi Jack.S

I wouldn't say the JD-Xi isn't a solution, but having a Xa, it seems a bit of a duplication just for the sake of having the drum sequencer...

If you are looking for a "drum computer", maybe it would be easier to user something like this:

Roland: TR-8
Boss: DR-880, DR-3
Alesis: SR-18, SR-16, DM-10

If I could, I would go for the TR-8, but all depends on the use each one is going to give them

Cheers,
PauloF
JDsb7

Post by JDsb7 »

Br
Jack
Hi,

I am looking at buying a JD-Xa but will keep my JD-Xi for this same reason - its not bad as a drum seq and you get all the other stuff too. Alternatives is maybe a hardware seq (eg Arturia BSP - finally usable after several months with **** firmware!) AND a sound module. But the JD-Xi may be the cheaper.
Jack.S

Post by Jack.S »

Thanks, I'm probably gone end up with Mpc 500 or 1000, the Xa have inspired to actually play the Keybed instead of programming with the face into Logic, no wrong with that I would assume but so nice to skip the computer and go Old school, Until Roland coming with a update (if even that gone happend) for possibility to chain the seq patterns I think the Mpc is the way to go, equipped with good Midi possibilities and also a standalone drum machine, I would prefer an internal seq like the Jx Xi with chain capacity but as a second option I think this is the best for me.

Cheers
Jack
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

PauloF wrote:

Br
Jack
Hi Jack.S

I wouldn't say the JD-Xi isn't a solution, but having a Xa, it seems a bit of a duplication just for the sake of having the drum sequencer...

If you are looking for a "drum computer", maybe it would be easier to user something like this:

If I could, I would go for the TR-8, but all depends on the use each one is going to give them

Cheers,
PauloF

Can Arturia's SparkLE be a solution to your question? It is a cheap and good solution i believe
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

o.durmusoglu wrote:
PauloF wrote:

Br
Jack
Hi Jack.S

Cheers,
PauloF

Can Arturia's SparkLE be a solution to your question? It is a cheap and good solution i believe
Can it chain to song mode? I mean Arturia SparkLE
frankygun

Post by frankygun »

Hi there,

imho your best bet would be an Akai MPC Live or Pro Force if you want to go Dawless.

Cheers,

Franky
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I can say after 2 years of extensive usage in studio and live (small all the way up to large festival stages) that the JD-XA perfectly pairs with the Synthstrom Deluge to make a powerhouse that can do almost everything! The deluge deals with all the missing/broken/underdeveloped features of the JD-XA, has the best sequencer on the market, and a bunch of amazing additions (it's a sampler, synth, drum machine, sequencer with unlimited length and track numbers, fx unit, you name it- it does it!). I often then use the JD-XA with its midi capabailities to back control the Deluge and it's multisampling capabilities, letting me get a far better piano, or acoustic instrument than the JD-XA could do.

Cannot recommend the Synthstrom Deluge as a partner to the JD-XA enough, they really are a perfect pair!