Frustration with JDXA and Live 9 suite

Forum for the JD-XA.
bigmuz7

Frustration with JDXA and Live 9 suite

Post by bigmuz7 »

Getting a bit pissed off with the JDXA as good as it is. Ableton Live records multiple channels on one track but only plays back one channel per track . As the JDXA puts out a lot of multichannel stuff when you play it , you cannot get a replay of what you've just done ... The solution (apart from copying out and mapping 6 channels)is to use MIDI only whereby the XA has a remote keyboard command that allows a single midi input to play the whole patch back, but unfortunately if you are connected through USB only, this implementation function doesnt exist? WTF?

Connection through MIDI only, seems to cause other f*ck ups which I cannot yet explain with my MX1 mixer ? Im ready to throw all this gear out of the window
zombietactics

Re: Frustration with JDXA and Live 9 suite

Post by zombietactics »

You'll need to create separate MIDI tracks in Ableton ... each with the JD-XA as the MIDI source, and assigned only to receive a specific channel on each track.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

zombietactics wrote:You'll need to create separate MIDI tracks in Ableton ... each with the JD-XA as the MIDI source, and assigned only to receive a specific channel on each track.
Yes I said that in my post, but the other way around I copy and replay each track on different output channels .. hmm .. gots me thinking ? maybe ableton doesent record everything on a track as I havent tried recording cc messages from the mod 2 wheel for example ? and mapping all 16 channels

I know some guys just record it as an audio track, but thats no good if you are trying to sync the arp etc

I just dont understand why roland dont have the same remote keyboard command enabled under USB ?
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

bigmuz7 wrote: Yes I said that in my post ...
Actually, you didn't. You said ...
bigmuz7 wrote: Ableton Live records multiple channels on one track but only plays back one channel per track ...
Recording multiple channels on one track is not the same thing at all as recording multiple tracks at the same time, each assigned to receive only a single channel from a midi interface in common. (This is exactly how I have imported multi-track MIDI sequences from old sequencers, BTW)

Understanding the difference is key.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

zombietactics wrote:[Recording multiple channels on one track is not the same thing at all as recording multiple tracks at the same time, each assigned to receive only a single channel from a midi interface in common. (This is exactly how I have imported multi-track MIDI sequences from old sequencers, BTW)

Understanding the difference is key.

Not sure I understand you here ? The JDXA outputs simultaneous MIDI on many channels during a performance, each doing different things.... This cannot be replicated in Live without a lot of work ? If the SOftware can record this .. surely it can replicate it, and the answer is a flat no ! it cant, Not blaming live specifically it is what it is, but Rolands software isnt good either , if the JDXA has a remote keyboard mode in MIDI surely the same rule would apply in USB also ? but it doesent and that would get around the problem I hope
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

bigmuz7 wrote: Not sure I understand you here ?
I'm certain that you don't. That's not a crime. There is a lot t learn about this technology, and not all of it is especially obvious.
bigmuz7 wrote:The JDXA outputs simultaneous MIDI on many channels during a performance, each doing different things.... This cannot be replicated in Live without a lot of work ? If the SOftware can record this .. surely it can replicate it, and the answer is a flat no ! it cant, ...
It can, yes, it does, the answer is yes, and I use it this way daily.

I'm sincerely not trying to be a pedantic jerk, but this is one of those cases where you need to dig in and learn HOW things work. The MIDI receive/send and routing options in Ableton are quite flexible. I think that chapter 13 in the manual is a good place to start.

If you can explain what part has you confused, maybe we can work through this together.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Well firstly thanks for your support, zombietactics , you might think my posts indeed sound like those of an 18 year old, but in fact you can add 31 to those, so I am not without some experience. I suppose what I am saying is there are methods and logic and control that .. whilst they have evolved in the keyboard scene, they havent evolved that much ? .. either that or there are still some manufacturers who clearly wish to paddle their own canoe .

The marriage of a JDXA, LIve and an MX1-1 is not a happy one .... and I wouldnt recommend it to anyone reading this, unless they have a particular way they wish to use them in a set. It will work ofcourse in some respects, but you wont get the best of the JDXA in this configuration. Live ofcourse cannot replay multiple midi tracks(unless you copy and split) like a lot of other DAWS do.

What would transform things a lot, would be if Roland implemented an omni mode on the JDXA thru USB, instead of just MIDI,. but hey I've found a way around it.

The best thing Ive done is to forget about the MX-1's MIDI implentation and use a separate MIDI interface to my computer (because you cant replay all JDXA sounds through USB)

I recorded a small vid that encapsulated it all where I played some keys on the JDXA whilst hooked up through MIDI only to the MX-1 and it made Live and the Push 2 light up like a christmas tree depending on which key I pressed on the JDXA!, but perhaps stupidly I binned it because this is a hobby for me and I dont have time to email Roland, Ableton etc with this stuff.. I just expect that in this day and age it would bloody work !!!

Already my creative side is busted a bit and I have to rebuild now.... hopefully the way I have reconfigured my gear will stop me throwing it out of the window
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

I'm not promising, but I'll see about putting together a brief video showing how to configure for separate MIDI tracks.

And I am hoping you did not LITERALLY "bin" it ... otherwise some trashman is a lucky beast!