First Tune Created On The Roland JD-XA.

Forum for the JD-XA.
Andrew Sweeney

First Tune Created On The Roland JD-XA.

Post by Andrew Sweeney »

Hi everybody. This forum has been a great resource for learning about the Roland JD-XA. It’s a great instrument that’s capable of many varied and interesting sounds.

Anyway, for those interested here is my first composition with it. The track was created with an Elektron Analog Four as well. The A4 features predominantly until 2:32 when the JD-XA exclusively takes over:

https://andrewsweeney.bandcamp.com/track/muppets-only

Cheers,
Andrew
Myrk-

Re: First Tune Created On The Roland JD-XA.

Post by Myrk- »

Wow cool song, listened about 4 or 5 times so far haha! How long did it take to create?
Andrew Sweeney

Post by Andrew Sweeney »

Thanks Myrk. It took about a week during the evenings. It was my first experiment with both my new JDXA and Analog 4. The JDXA is great but it has a quirky sequencer to say the least! It was all sequenced with those two instruments and then tracked into Samplitude through a Rupert Neve Designs 5043 compressor and a Cranesong HEDD.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Nice! I resolved my sequencer qualms by using a Synthstrom Audible Deluge! Best sequencer I've ever come across - no limits on number of tracks, or number of steps, anything... no limits! If you are a hardware jammer it is the king of sequencers imo... although I am waiting for a firmware update to add random/probability into it... soon :D
Andrew Sweeney

Post by Andrew Sweeney »

The Synthstrom sounds great.I just checked it out. I hadn't heard of it before. Lol as we speak I've got a new Pyramid Squarp sequencer ready to learn on my desk...! I bought it specifically for the JDXA. It's a pity about the sequencer on it. Not being able to change patterns without stopping it makes things difficult. I tried program change and start/stop messages from my DAW but there still seems to be a discernable audio gap between changes. Anyway, perhaps Roland can fix this in the next update! It's still a great sounding synth.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

"Next update".... I like your optimism hahahaha! I don't think there will be any more major updates... maybe a small one as I've talked to some Roland artists who are sponsored to use the JD-XA and they all have the same qualms they report back to Roland, so who knows? But I doubt it :P
Andrew Sweeney

Post by Andrew Sweeney »

Yes, perhaps I am being overly optimistic! Anyway I'm pretty happy with the way it is now I'm using another sequencer with it. The one on it is a useful sketchpad if using the synth on it's own - quirky as it is!