Connecting MIDI controller to JD-XA

Forum for the JD-XA.
Simonpech

Connecting MIDI controller to JD-XA

Post by Simonpech »

Hi, have anyone here tried to connect a MIDI Keyboard to his Roland JD-XA Synth ?
Did you make it ?
Can anyone please tell me how to connect a MIDI Controller to the JD-XA Synth... (???)
Thanks in advance.
zombietactics

Re: Connecting MIDI controller to JD-XA

Post by zombietactics »

I do it with a MIDI cable ... what specifically are you trying to figure out?
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

I suspect youve connected it by USB and find you can only trigger one part ? Because curiously the JDXA doesent support Omni mode over USB .. a bit of an omission IMHO .. but it does do over Midi, so if you connect it that way you can play it remotely. When you use arp/sequencer each track has to be told to send midi note out individually also.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

bigmuz7 wrote:the JDXA doesent support Omni mode over USB .. a bit of an omission IMHO .. but it does do over Midi, so if you connect it that way you can play it remotely.
Talking midi: Do you mean sending an omni channel signal from the controller, or does the JD-XA have a setting to have a singular midi channel for total control? I use my Synthstrom deluge as a powerful sequencer / midi looper for my JD-XA, works amazing, but I have to duplicate things 8 times to get all 8 synths to trigger off. I can't send out an omni signal as I'm using the other 8 midi channels for other gear.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

bigmuz7 you're a legend - inspired me to dig deeper! I totally forgot to investigate the midi channels per program rather than on a system level and realised it does allow to assign different parts to the same channels, so I can have my patches setup to share channels on the JD-XA! Awesome.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Myrk- wrote: Talking midi: Do you mean sending an omni channel signal from the controller, or does the JD-XA have a setting to have a singular midi channel for total control? I use my Synthstrom deluge as a powerful sequencer / midi looper for my JD-XA, works amazing, but I have to duplicate things 8 times to get all 8 synths to trigger off. I can't send out an omni signal as I'm using the other 8 midi channels for other gear.
Yeah 1 channel in should trigger everything, but it only does that through Midi not USB as far as I can see .. looks like you fixed it anyway :-)