Will it be time to trade a JD for a JD?

Forum for the JD-XA.
Synthtron

Will it be time to trade a JD for a JD?

Post by Synthtron »

I have a JD-800 and may consider selling it to fund the JD-XA or maybe not. Let me see what they are going for on eBay.
timbo2000

Re: Will it be time to trade a JD for a JD?

Post by timbo2000 »

Anything would have to be quite spectacular for me to trade in my JD800. The JD800 is a true classic, hard to come by in tip top condition and getting rare. You'll only get for a good model about £450. I feel the JX-XA will be well over £1000 so you'll have a way to go to finance it. Having said that, don't think I could part with mine.
Synthtron

Re: Will it be time to trade a JD for a JD?

Post by Synthtron »

I got my JD-800 about five or so years ago. I always wanted one when they first came out. The one I got, I got cheap but I bought a replacement keybed/keys from Roland due to the red glue mess. It is in great condition but limiting to me. Only what 24 voices? They get eaten quickly. I would keep it just for nostalgic reasons. I do use it once in a while but I find it sluggish for realtime work. The filter is zippery while doing. A sweep from the sliders. It is a killer looking synth but was never really updated and it came at a time where Roland was pushing for more realistic sampled instruments. Would be nice if there had been more expansion cards for its synthesis other than those trying to emulate real acoustic instruments. Most of the interesting waveforms are in many of their newer synths and even the Jupiters that I have.
I guess I am thinking of space too! I already have two Jaspers 6 tier stands full of Roland synths and an Apex Stand that holds two of my newer Jupiters.

I honestly have told myself to not sell anymore synths so I would not regret it because I would miss them. Crazy huh? I guess I am trying to justify getting a new synth.