JD-Xs Analog bits

Forum for the JD-XA.
Synthtron

JD-Xs Analog bits

Post by Synthtron »

New Roland Analog vs. Old Roland Analog
I was curious as more people get the new JD-Xs what will the consensus be about their analog sound.
The JD-Xi has an Analog Oscillator and an Analog Filter.

As far as 80's Roland analog synths go I have a Juno-60, JX-3p and Juno-106. The Lowpass Filters on those have more character in my opinion than the JD-Xi. I wonder if that is due to those being Voltage Controlled.

I have not had the JD-Xi long but I have been messing around with the analog side of it more than the rest.

I could not help but make comparisons to the only Roland analogs I have.

I am curious how the JX-8p and JX-10 filters sound in comparison to the new JDs.
Happy

Re: JD-Xs Analog bits

Post by Happy »

Very curios as well what the components used are. Could it be a variation on ACB or are there discrete components? Specially now that the XA has 4 parts analog, discrete would mean a lot of logic. Doubt some happy new owner will open up a JD-XA/Xi case to peek inside voiding the warranty...
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I bet they are not discrete parts.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Roland provides a look inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApVWXqxiWi8
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I saw that CGI video last night. It looks like inside JD-XA the Red circuit board is the analog board. I think this because I do see four sections that are the same (Analog voice chips?)
funktree

Post by funktree »

Synthtron wrote: ....I have not had the JD-Xi long but I have been messing around with the analog side of it more than the rest.
.... so so far how big difference do you see between:

1. digital vs analog square
2. digital vs analog saw
3. digital vs analog LFP

I will try to do this as soon as I have my JD-XI
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

funktree wrote:
Synthtron wrote: ....I have not had the JD-Xi long but I have been messing around with the analog side of it more than the rest.
.... so so far how big difference do you see between:

1. digital vs analog square
2. digital vs analog saw
3. digital vs analog LFP

I will try to do this as soon as I have my JD-XI
To me the Digital Square sounds more hollow and the analog Square sounds like it has more overtones.

The Digital Saw Variation A is very close. Variations B and C have a different character they sound a little more nasaly like than the analog Saw

The Filters? Only using the Low Pass Filters there is a difference between the two. I think it is made more obvious when you incorporate Resonance. In my opinion the Digital version sounds like the Filter/ Resonance has a ceiling to it. The Analog seems to go into sonic territory out of our aural range.

To me the super natural Saw and the PCM saw on board sound very close if not identical.
From what I understand the Supernatural Saw is just a sample anyway. I am not sure why Roland made a separate wave and PCM bank on all of their supernatural based instruments when all the waveforms are sampled anyway right.

Any way that is another discussion maybe in a different section maybe.

That is my take on it. Let me know what you think when you get yours.

The analog oscs maybe have a little more bass as well.
funktree

Post by funktree »

I spent an hour or two yesterday to compare the analog vs digital on XI. O boy is there a difference ...
Besides just playing, I did record a simple sequence and put it on both tracks analog and digital as part of this test

I dialed SAW on both digital and analog. I started with the same settings on both meaning cutoff, resonance, filter ASDR, Amplitude ASDR. so the filter was on. With the same settings the Analog is snappier with some cool equalization to it. Analog seemed scooped mids to me.
The digital filter is more lazy and less resonant on the same settings. Also it was more flat to me.

Even when I used analog emulation (there is a parameter for it) or changed the SAW type from A, B or C and played with Pitch and volume envelopes I couldn't get it even close to the analog.

Then I turned of the filter and changed to TRI waves so my ears don't get tired too fast.
There is no way I was able to dial the same sound on in the digital domain.

A few other observations:
- there is some smooth default envelope on the analog that sounds almost percussive.
- the digital had some volume jumping issues and some random pops (you need to play a lot to notice)
- digital has higher level of effect sends by 20.

In general I'm sold on the analog now. It has lot more cream into it, the analog filter is more lubed, XA will be a great machine for analog freaks. If there was a drum as DI I'd be on the waiting list.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

funktree wrote: In general I'm sold on the analog now. It has lot more cream into it, the analog filter is more lubed, XA will be a great machine for analog freaks. If there was a drum as DI I'd be on the waiting list.
The filter on the analog side is smoother and with resonance has more sonic range than the digital side.

It would be really interesting if on the JD-XA you could have analog partials and digital partials together in a single patch. I am not completely sure how the two engines play together other than they can cross Digital sonuds through the analog filter and analog through the digital filers.