Mute individual drum parts

Forum for the JD-XA.
Congasjones

Mute individual drum parts

Post by Congasjones »

I guess it's not possible as no obvious way of doing this ?nor any mention in the manual?
funktree

Re: Mute individual drum parts

Post by funktree »

Yes, when you are in the "part edit mode" sequencer button 5-8 will do mutes. Very bad for live situations. But there is no work around for that. I asked Roland if putting the volume of the drum sound will save a voice but they reply was that only mute will "Save" an extra voice. I do record almost 20 drum sounds.

The other BIG showstopper for sequencer on XI is that I cannot delete a knob movement. If I record a wrong filter swipe I need to delete the whole track to get rid of the knob recording. I emailed Roland about this will see what they say

Here is another example if I was not clear: Assume that I recorded drum on 8 bars (half tempo 1/32 resolution). Took me an hour to play with velocities etc.. now I want to spice it up with some filter swipes ... let say that I'm not happy with the recorded knob movement. There is NO way to delete it. You need to delete the WHOLE track.

Electribe has ability to "Delete Motion" for a track
Congasjones

Post by Congasjones »

Thanks for that -I will try it and yep the electribe 2 has delete motion sequence but I sold mine to get jd xi shame you can't delete have you tried over dubbing in loop Rec on? I not sure if that will work
funktree

Post by funktree »

overdubbing works when you juggling with the knob a bit meaning sending new data to overwrite the old value(s)

Another issue:

On the flip side I had a strange problem with one of the preset patterns. I deleted the track using shift+erase and recorded a new part over the track. I noticed that there was some audible detuning in the middle of the pattern. I looked at all LFOs and pitch related parameters couldn't find what was causing it. Then I noticed that the osc detune was there as result of mod-whell movement recorded. Then I tried to delete the track again. No the midi data stayed stuck. The only thing that worked to take a track from another pattern and copy it on location of the "sick" track.
funktree

Post by funktree »

I got the solution. The question is how many of us needs this and if roland can implement this.
Since JD-XA does not have drums they cannot kill two birds with one stone. (meaning code once and use it for both XA and XI)

Here is the solution:
Double click on drum button will bring the mutes function on the 16 sequencer buttons for first 16 drums. holding Shift down in this mode will flip to another 10 sounds 16+10=26

Or each click on already selected Drum track will flip between sequencer and mutes
If you need to un-mute you'd just hit the sequencer button

Example I need to go and mute a few drums here is the sequence of steps:
1. click the "drums part select" to select the drum track. the drum light will lit. Then within next 1-2 seconds click the button again. The sequencer buttons will change to show which drum parts are muted and which are not.
Clicking the "selected drum part" while it is lit will TOGGLE between sequencer and mute mode.

C'mon Roland 2 days of developer time and we have a great improvement to do live performance on the JD-XI
Congasjones

Post by Congasjones »

Thanks must be doing something wrong as can't do this?
funktree

Post by funktree »

Sorry I was not clear. What I described was a new feature that Roland could and should implement.
Congasjones

Post by Congasjones »

Agree it would be sooo good still -love the machine though
funktree

Post by funktree »

I got used to use the volume knob. I do record 3 various kicks sequences, 3 various snares and then I combine or mute=set-volume-to-0 them for different drum arrangements. This by nature is only good for slow music.

Unfortunately I cannot quickly mute a few drums at the same... there is no option for THAT.
So I would need the extra mute mode function that I described above.

As I'm thinking about implementation. I got another idea. The "Key hold" button could be used to engage mute mode for drums.. This would work when the arpeggio is not engaged with drum track active. the "key hold" would be a toggle for the Drum Mute mode. .

Here is an Example:
1. Drum part active
2. Apregiator is not used (hardly used for drums)
3. click "key hold" the button starts to flash and the sequencer pads show which drums are muted/unmuted so I can use multiple fingers to mute/un-mute sounds first 16 drum sounds. Shift would be used to get to the rest of the drums sounds: 17-26