EFX1 and EFX2 knob is this for kids ?

Forum for the JD-XA.
funktree

EFX1 and EFX2 knob is this for kids ?

Post by funktree »

I posted this to the roland support site. I hope you will find this useful
Most of the knobs on the JD-XI are very useful however the EFX1 and IFX2 knobs are bummer read:

1. EFX1/2 Bug

The parameter values are not remembered by saved program. I tent to set all my pars for some 4-6 different effects (I switch them a lot), I set them more musically than the defaults for fuzz/distortion/flanger. But when I return back to the program where I saved the edits they are GONE. IT somehow goes to fricking default values.
So I need to set 5x3 parameters AGAIN and AGAIN when I want to do performance with a program using EFX1/2.

2. EFX1/EFX2 knob Enhancements (4)

There should be a new menu item in the program/main that would exclude some of the parameters being controlled by EFX1 and EFX2 knobs. This could be called
Program->Main EFX1 function all/gain/volume parameters ... (3 values)
Program->Main EFX2 function all/time/depth parameters
while on this the shift+EFX1 controls volume of selected effect and shift+EFX2 controls D/W ratio or volume

IN the system menu add an option for EFX1/EFX2 knob control type: normal/adjust

Here are EFX1/2 controls that don't make musical arrangement sense :
1. It does not make sense to have a knob that turns compression from 1:1 to inf:1 (no steps between)
2. It does not make sense to increase gain while increasing volume along with distortion/fuzz type
3. It does not make sense to increase rate and intensity for modulation effect at the same time. Usually as the rate increases the effect depth slightly decreases. Most of the ableton guys use this technique.
I have more but this is already a long post...

So the new options for EFX1/2 would work like this:
1. set the EFX2 knob function to "time". This would make the EFX2 knob to ONLY control the rate in the flanger/phaser and slicer effects.
2. set the EFX1 knob function to "gain" or "drive" . This would make the knob EFX1 to control ONLY gain : compressor (ratio), distortion/fuzz (drive) and bit depth in bit crusher.
3. set the EFX1 knob to "volume" would control volume or D/W ratio
4. set the EFX1/2 to increment in the system menu will do +/- 50 points for parameters when turning the KNOBs. So if my gain is saved on 60 and turn the EFX1 to the left it would have a gain 10 all to the right would be 127.

Hope this make sense, Please tweak if you have better option for these two silly knobs.
"and one last thing" the fourth option would be called "smart" where when drive increases the volume slightly decreases
Synthtron

Re: EFX1 and EFX2 knob is this for kids ?

Post by Synthtron »

It stinks that the Reverb and Delay Knobs are global only.
funktree

Re: EFX1 and EFX2 knob is this for kids ?

Post by funktree »

the delay/reverb knobs should work like this:
Delay and reverb for tracks control the send level
holding shift and turning these two knobs would increase global volume for reverb and delay
don't you agree ?