JD-XA Editing Effects and Reverb ...easily. Manual Mode!

Forum for the JD-XA.
RayS

JD-XA Editing Effects and Reverb ...easily. Manual Mode!

Post by RayS »

Well after doing more reading and seeing a few posts about editing the effects etc.. I must say Roland dotted their I's and crossed their T's on this. The shortcut key SHIFT + ENTER is very important and very useful!! To edit the effects easily and get access to the Reverb sections is done easily by pressing the "Shift + Enter" buttons. This puts you into "Manual" mode jumping to that section much easier you are trying to edit without having to scroll through many pages with the arrow buttons. I just havent quite figured out the Global function of the reverb yet, as have a few others. The reverb gain doesnt seem to add as much as I thought it would to the overall sound and sounds weak to me, however I am probably overlooking something. Maybe someone else has some thoughts?

The biggest problem I see with this... is I cant make myself read the dang manual long enough as that takes away time from playing the beast!! :>) The more I read and explore...the more I really like this.
RonF

Re: JD-XA Editing Effects and Reverb ...easily. Manual Mode!

Post by RonF »

Just in case this hasn't been fully described yet... The Global Reverb is the only effect on the XA which is a Send Effect, rather than an Insert effect. Each Program has a Global Reverb send parameter. It defaults in an init patch to about 20/80 wet/dry. Thus turning up the reverb level knob on the front panel is only going to bring you from zero reverb level, up to 20% wet. That's weak in most applications. By changing the Global Reverb send level up to say 50/50, will make the Reverb level knob much more useful.

I have created my own "init patch" as a template for many such settings, so that its easily accessible.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Hi Ron, nice videos...!! Appreciate that. Could you explain how you find the Reverb gain so you can edit that... plus the other gain? Do you find it under menu etc..? Also do you system write it ?? If so for us dummies(me), could you explain it..h aha.. Thanks
RonF

Post by RonF »

Let's call them each by their proper name, for clarity sake.

1) Reverb Send: each Part has its own separate dry/wet mix. You find this parameter in the Part edit menu. MENU - PART - and scroll through the Part parameters to get to Reverb Send. Raising the number (between 0 and 127) will send more of the dry signal into the Global Reverb Effect. So, 64 is 50/50 dry/wet. The factory Init patch defaults to this level at 20, I believe. Very low for most applications. Remember, each separate Part has its own send level here. So parts A1 thru 4, and D1 thru 4. You must set each Send level for each part desired. While in this menu, change parts by selecting them with the part select buttons (so they light blue).

Once adjusted to taste, writing the Program will automatically save all 8 parts and their settings. A program is the container of all 8 parts, plus one sequencer pattern, plus the Global effects settings. Just write the program. Thus, initializing a factory program, and adjusting the reverb sends on the 8 parts (and any other custom settings you desire), then writing the program to a blank location, renaming it to "my Init patch"...will leave you with a custom template to begin a new project with.

2) Reverb Level: this is the knob labelled Reverb on the control panel (top right). It's the main overall level of the Global Reverb effect that all 8 parts send to. So this knob is dynamic, in that the MOST reverb it can raise to at full-on, is the highest reverb send level you've set in each part (see above). So, this knob addresses whatever part(s) you have selected (lighted in blue) with the part select buttons. One part, or many parts. At minimum, the knob will silence all selected parts reverb. At maximum, the knob will bring each selected part up to the Reverb Send parameter level that you've set for that part(s). If the send levels are low, the most this knob can do is get you up to THAT level.

This all pertains to the global reverb. This is not in any way connected to any MFX or TFX that you may use where you manually select a reverb INSERT effect. You CAN insert reverbs in all of these slots. 8 part MFX SLOTS, plus 2 TFX slots...they can each have a reverb effect inserted here if you choose, in ADDITION to the always running global send reverb discussed above. In such case, the reverb knob on the control panel has nothing to do with these user selectable insert effects (those would be adjusted by the MFX & TFX knobs and menu settings). The reverb knob on the front panel ALWAYS adjusts only the a Global Send effect of each part, as mentioned above.

So you have a LOT of power there. You COULD get 11 separate reverbs going at once. 8 MFX, 2 TFX, and the Global Send reverb. Not sure why you'd want to...but you could. Just remember to ALWAYS pay attention to which part you are addressing with the part select buttons....THAT is what the control panel knobs and sliders is editing at the moment. Whether one part or many parts (or, if digital parts...one or more of each parts 3 partials). THAT is the KEY secret to understanding the control panel. If something is not responding as you expect w a knob or slider, there's a great chance you haven't selected or deselected the relevant parts (or partials).

Hope this helps.

Ron
RayS

Post by RayS »

Thanks Ron, Much appreciated!! You have spent a lot of time with this..and have a lot of expertise!
Do you know if you can apply the "Reverb Send setting of 64" to each and every one of the factory programs on Banks A-D Globally. Applied w/o editing each and every program individually.. Or apply your init program to the existing factory program to give it more reverb? Hope that makes sense.

One thing I noticed is that you can select 4 parts Analog or Digital at the same time and edit them all at once w/o selecting each and every one. Also interesting is that on some factory part settings the "Reverb Send is set to 45", but most are "20 setting" which is really low as you cant even hear the reverb at all after adjusting the Reverb level to 128. I also noticed the Bank E + is auto set to a factory Reverb Send of 45 as well and I can actually hear the Reverb Level differences there.

I wonder what Roland was thinking by keeping the Reverb Send setting so low on all the factory programs??

Appreciate your time on this!!
Ray
RonF

Post by RonF »

A Program on the JDXA is what you might equate to a Combi on a Korg Workstation (Triton/Kronos/Oasys). Its a collection of individual synth patches, put together in a multi-timbral and tailored way (splits/layers/midi channels/patch selections/etc). Each program is "designed" or "patched" by the programmer to sound the way they wish for it to sound. So...as you would expect, programmers (whether Roland's programmers, or yourself) either start from an existing preset and tweak it, or start from an Init Patch and tweak it, to create the Program they wish to create. So, programs that have reverb levels adjusted to 45, for example, are just those where the author of the program has elected to tweak that parameter in that Program. Its entirely at the author's discretion whether he/she wants to use the Global Reverb effect at all, let alone to modify it from its default setting of 20.

Therefore, the simple answer to your question is: No, there is no way to Globally change each individual preset Program's reverb send levels. Each Program is a custom sound-designed package that the author of that patch created. If the author felt the reverb level should be higher or lower to result in the sound you hear....then that's how HE/SHE set it. The only way for you to change it...is to edit it yourself.

Of course, as I described, you CAN create a personalized Init Patch (a template) for yourself...by simply saving YOUR choices and settings into an unused Program slot. You can even copy that "My Init Patch" to many (or ALL) slots, but you'll be overwriting whatever Program existed in that slot previously.

Roland programmers filled banks A through D with preset patches. Banks E and above are 'blank" (contain only an init patch). I haven't noticed that banks E and above have a default setting of 45 on the reverb send. If so, then they set and saved those slots with a setting upwards of 20, which is the default Init Patch setting. You can manually initialize a patch by pressing Shift-ProgramSelect.

Yes, at ANY time you can select any or all (or any combination of) the 4 analog or the 4 digital parts for editing. (but you can't select analog and digital at the same time). In any menu, or with any knob/or slider, you'll be editing THOSE selected parts. so you can edit 4 analog, or 4 digital parts at once (but not both together).

I don't think it is a matter of what Roland was thinking, as much as what each sound-designer was thinking when they authored each program. I'm sure many designers contributed (including third party beta testers) to the preset banks. Traditionally, production synth presets are not drowned in reverb. They all tend to leave that option up to the user to edit.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Ron, thanks again.. you should be tech support for the JDXA seriously!! I had a few Korgs and yes the names program patches are similiar. I was hoping the reverb would be a Global effect determined by the player and not the programmer, as I had a keyboard a while back that was..cant remember which one though. After tinkering around with the 2 sections Analog and Digital.. does the volume and/or balance between the 2 get controlled via the enjoyable giant menu screen :>) .. or can it be done on the surface somehow?
RonF

Post by RonF »

Well, the Global Reverb CAN be determined by the user. You'll just need to edit it to your own preference. And unfortunately (or arguably FORTUNATELY, because it means you have even more horse-power at your disposal) you can't do it in one single action for the *factory preset* patches. But you certainly CAN do it for any patch that you create on your own...by, as I said, just making a template Init Patch one time, and using IT for all of your own creations. But if you want to edit all of the preset patches, then you'll need to drill down into them individually to edit what the original authors of those programs originally pre-set.

The point of having a separate send for each individual Part, is that you have the power to assign different dry/wet mixes to the individual parts. So you can create a huge multi layered soundscape, or composition, and intuitively put less verb on a bass part, than you do on a pad part, while leaving a hi-hat part dry, and drowning a snare drum part in verb. This can all be done in the same Program, with the same Global Reverb...which is really powerful. But that power comes at the price of being a pain the butt if you want to edit every single factory preset.

But, to say true, the JDXA only comes with 80 presets (4 banks of 16 programs), and not every preset uses all 8 parts. So it probably wouldn't take you TOO long to go in and edit all of the presets. Consider this against something like the Prophet 12, which has about 400 presets!

There are several places to adjust the volume or level of a (analog or digital) part. The most direct way is again through the Part edit menu. There is a level and pan parameter for each individual part. You edit this the same way as the Reverb Send parameter discussed in this thread. But, also, with any part selected (or grouping of parts selected) you can adjust the AMP level knob from the front panel. Simply select one or all of the analog and/or digital parts, and raise/lower the AMP level knob to balance the overall parts to your liking. Then, if you need to compensate to raise or lower the total volume of the complete program....there is a Program Level parameter in the Program Edit Menu. It defaults to 100, but can be adjusted between 0 and 127. So after you've adjusted each part to your liking, you can raise or lower the full program level and write the program that way.

Additionally, you can go into the system menu and boost the global system gain by up to 12db for the whole synth, so theres PLENTY of gain on hand to use the AMP level knob as nothing more than a Part level mixer knob......and equalize the entire program to "unity gain" with the program level parameter. The AMP level knob is NOT an "AMP Envelope Depth" parameter! Rather, its just a Part level knob for each selected part. No matter how low or high you have it set, its only effecting the part level....the AMP envelope itself modulates the part just the same at a consistent depth. So...your answer is YES. Use the AMP Level knob in conjunction with the part select knobs, and there's your hands on "mixer" control.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Ron, just tried it and the AMP knob does what I want it to do.. thnks. I just increased the overall gain as well. As Nick at Sonicstate says: The control panel and menu screen system is a bit "Clunky". The configuration and selection of the OSC section and the way it is chained to the Digital or Analog parts is hard to understand but the LEDs being lit or unlit really help.

My biggest gripe with the keyboard is the menu screen editing and printing "above" the knobs, shiny plastic,..and absence of a "dented knob" for the effects selection?? After using a touchscreen Jupiter 80 this really was almost a dealbreaker for me..and will probably be for many others as well. Its like being accustomed to using Windows 8 and then go back to using Windows 3.1 again.

I have always pretty much liked the interface on the Roland products but this interface menu system is 15+ yrs old! I find it hard to believe that Roland couldnt have designed a much better interface for editing parts etc.. than using this and then forgetting to add a rotary knob? Maybe Roland will have a retrofit to add this..or a detented Effects knob (yeah right) ha ha..? Seriously changing the effects knob and putting a clip underneath for detents wouldnt be that hard. Does Roland ever make any "tutorial videos" for their products? Enough griping...

Ron do you have any "tips or tricks" or simplified use of the sequencer? i.e. JDXA Sequencer for Dummies like me.. ha ha..
RonF

Post by RonF »

Another huge help in understanding the work-flow between the control panel and the menu system, is using the Menu-Hold function [Shift + Menu]. This prevents the menu from automatically jumping to whatever parameter you touch or manipulate on the control panel. Because there are many (probably MORE) cases where you'd want to work inside the menu system *at the same time* as tweaking the control panel...it can be very confusing/frustrating to have the menus that you've navigated your way to, keep jumping to some other parameter that you're tweaking with the real time controls...causing you to lose your place in the menu system, forcing you to navigate your way BACK. In fact, IMO, Roland should have made Menu-Hold ON the default, NOT the other way around (or make it a Global setting that you can write). However, its easy enough, when starting an editing session, to engage Menu-Hold, and then the relationship between the control panel and the menu system becomes MUCH more intuitive.

BTW....I HATED the Jupiter 80 touch screen interface. One of the BEST things about the JDXA, is that it has the full knobby interface to control basically the same supernatural synth engine of the Jupiter 80. I'll take this all day long!

I have to say, as much as I sincerely respect and value and TRUST Nick Batt and SonicState (I RELY on them for many of my own purchases, with great success over the years)... In the case of the JDXA, Nicks review was VERY cursory, and in many ways misunderstood. I can't say I blame him, because it takes more than a week or two to fully grasp the work-flow and extensive features of the XA. But some of Nicks confusion was evident by watching his reviews of the XA. He seems confused himself about certain functions or structures. He seems to miss certain work-flow necessities, such as pressing BOTH scroll buttons for fast scrolling, rather than just {Shift + Cursor] for Tens scrolling. He doesn't mention or use Menu-Hold as being an important work-flow enhancement. He seems less than clear about the structure of a Program. And he seems more interested to compare the JDXA sequencer to the JDXi sequencer, and discount it....rather than reviewing it for what it actually IS, which is a very powerful note and parameter sequencer, RATHER than a pattern sequencer such as on the JDXi. In general, I think a LOT of people EXPECTED the JDXA to be a JDXi on steroids....with more polyphony, more patterns, more parts, etc. But in fact, while the sound engine and some other bits are clearly from the same lineage between the two....the JDXA is a VERY different synthesizer than the JDXi. Its focus is seemingly designed far more towards sound-design...than pattern-design. In fact....the COMBINATION of a JDXi and a JDXA would make a POWERFUL compliment...as opposed to the JDXA being the Flagship REPLACEMENT for the JDXi. JMHO, of course.

I won't comment on things such as the glossy front panel, or the red lettering legibility, or detented knobs. You didn't even mention the omission of a data wheel/knob, another big one. Those things are each cosmetic or ergonomic....and ultimately subjective. They don't ultimately limit what the JDXA CAN DO SONICALLY. Sure...I'd prefer improvements in the design and interface as well. But its not stopping me from using the incredibly deep feature and parameter set available in this instrument. Given the choice, I personally would always prefer to have the horse-power...than the niceties of cosmetics and ergonomics. Of course I'd rather have BOTH...but alas we're not always given that choice by the manufacturers of hardware synths.

I view the JDXA similar to my Elektron boxes. Its not the most ergonomic or intuitive interface...and its all happening through deep menu systems and small screens with dated graphics. But the POWER that's there is unbeatable! Its WORTH the learning curve and inconvenience to have so much power at your fingertips and imagination. The JDXA is very similar in this regard. But that's MY view....clearly not everyone's. Many users are more interested in plug & play, and cosmetics/ergonomics. No objection from me.

As to the sequencer...that's a big topic. I'm not sure where I would start. But remember....don't fall into the same confusion that many (including Nick Batt) seem to have fallen into. The XA sequencer is NOT a PATTERN sequencer at ALL. Its a Note and Parameter sequencer....VERY similar to the one found on the DSI Prophet 8/Tetra. Its part of the Patch design. Its a modulation SOURCE, and can also be assigned to Notes for rhythmic motion and phrases within the Patch design. Its NOT in any way a Pattern sequencer, for real time performance of songs and arrangements. Each ONE Program on the JDXA has only ONE pattern (16 tracks, multi timbral, polyphonic, addressable to any destination on the front control panel, and of course addressable to Notes including velocity, aftertouch, modulation wheels; and fully midi assignable per track, including external devices, or pointing any track or multiple tracks to any internal part). This compared to the Prophet 8/Tetra where you have only 4 tracks, mono-phonic, limited assignment per patch. Its a VERY powerful sequencer! But its a different animal than the pattern sequencer that's on the JDXi.

Also remember that while each Program CONTAINS the ONE sequencer pattern...if you want to erase the sequencer pattern (or tracks individually) it must be done separately. Initializing a Program as mentioned earlier in this thread, will not erase the sequencer tracks. You do that separately through the Pattern Util Menu.

If you have other specific questions, let me know.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Ron, yeah I was wondering how to keep the menu from jumping around.."Shift + Menu" ..aha!! Great tool!

I agree that Nick seemed a bit un-prepared..however Roland doesnt seem to have anyone to give professional "tutorials" or tips or tricks on how to use the keyboard? Any kind of explanation video or shared knowledge is good for me. I bet Nick didnt even have a Parameter Guide.

Seeing Scott Tibbs videos creating great sounds without in-depth knowing what he did to achieve the sounds is not very useful at understanding how to use the JDXA. We are left with a "fairy dust" guessing game to explore ourselves...and fumble around.. trying to figure out what he did without any guidance as to what steps to take in creating the fantastic sounds this synth can make. Most people order online anymore so the days of going to a music dealer and buying one getting "how-to" knowledge doesnt happen anymore. OK FWIW Guitar Center?? Fortunately we have you Ron, Nick and others posting online help to help us understand what Roland should already be doing.

Other than Nick and what you have posted, I have yet to see very few videos of "how-to" on the use of the sequencer..or other features. It makes one feel as though Roland doesnt have anyone to demonstrate it..or they dont think it is important? Sad especially since paying $2199 for this and supposedly being a flagship synth! Who knows, Maybe I am wrong that the consumer market doesnt really care about "how-to" tutorials ...tips or tricks. Maybe they want to just grunt and growl and explore themselves without any kind of guidance. .
RonF

Post by RonF »

Actually, back around the release of the MV8800, and the Fantom X/G series, Roland was really good about having support reps posting detailed YT tutorial videos. Mike Acosta and Dan Krisher, to name two prominent examples, put out LOTS of detailed tutorials, from basic to advanced. It seems they are doing a limited version of that with the Aira series (though those videos seem more demonstrations than tutorials by the Aira Roland reps). But not much of anything too in depth for the JDXi (other than Ed Diaz webinar, to be fair) OR the JDXA. Lets hope it gets more support in time! I agree, JDXA is an expensive "flagship" synth (whatever that actually means)...and deserves better support from Roland itself.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Ron, let us know if you do a video on the sequencer..that is one for dummies.. ha ha.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I second that, I have had the JDXA for a few weeks now and still am intimidated by the sequencer, and know very little about it.
RonF

Post by RonF »

I'll consider doing a video on the sequencer...

In the meantime...here's a short tutorial on how you can interface the sequencer with OTHER sequencers (such as your DAW) to get far greater functionality. I think this also helps to understand the fundamentals of the XA and its sequencer better, overall.

This was a response to a question posted on GearSlutz. I hope you find it helpful:

Question: you may have to explain how a 4bar sequencer for parameters will work over for example a 128 bar arrangement..surely it will just loop the same stuff every 4 bars right?

are you leaving it in record and adjusting as you go...wiping out some knob tweeks every 4 bars and introducing new stuff...?

This is a GREAT question!

So...looking at my last video: https://youtu.be/EGA143h9Pbk

Here is what I did to address the very "limitation" you refer to....

You are correct...the XA note/parameter sequencer is limited to 64 steps. So...if all you did was to record some parameter or note values and save that Program on the XA, it would do nothing but loop those same values every 64 steps. Which, depending on your composition or the synth patch you're programming, may be just fine. But that was not enough in the composition I linked to above. I needed more dynamics and evolution during that 3:39 piece.

So, you've got one thought right in your post above...while a pattern was playing on the XA, I could engage realtime OR step record (even just holding a step and adjusting a knob or slider) for real time tweaks to those modulations in real time. In that regard it works pretty similarly to the Sub37 sequencer. Its just a static looping sequence, but you can change a lot about it in real time, so it keeps evolving. Of course the Sub37 has some extra features the XA doesn't have, like real time pattern length changing, and forward/reverse/inverse motions. But still, the XA has its own benefits over the 37, such as polyphonic recording, multi-track and multi-midi-channel, and a huge amount of parameters that can be modulated. So...for real time....even in just one pattern (meaning, just one Program on the XA)....you can keep things evolving and changing with real time tweaks.

But that's not good enough, and I fully agree with you on this point, if what you want is to prepare in advance (essentially to RECORD and SAVE changes to) a complex arrangement.

So this is a good time to make a distinction/analogy that helped me to understand the XA quite a bit. A Program on the XA is very much the same as a Combi on any Korg Workstation. In Korg-speak, you've got Programs, which are individual synth-patches, and you can combine those into a multi-timbral/multi-channel/multi-zone/multi-mix/multi-pan/etc package called a Combi. You can use a Combi as a complex patch of its own, where each Program is set to the same midi-channel, and when you play the keyboard, it just plays whatever few Programs are assigned together as one "Patch". OR....you can use a Combi with separate midi-channels per Program, and essentially have a multi-track multi-timbral template, where you're playing each Program separately from an external source (onboard or external sequencer, keyboard, whatever). But that's all KORG-speak. I bring this up because it's familiar to many here....Korg's used THAT language and structure for like 2 decades.

On the XA...a "Program" is a COMBI....not a PROGRAM...in Korg-speak. Rather, a "Part" is a PROGRAM in Korg-speak, using the same analogy. SO: You could do an entire composition on the XA by staying in ONE Program, but make changes to the Parts inside of it...you've got 8 internal and 8 external Parts! Further: in the digital Parts (4 of them), you've got up to 3 Partials which can make up that Part. Honestly....Each PARTIAL is very similar to a full PROGRAM on a Korg synth! So there's a LOT that can be going on sonically in a singular Program on the XA.

Now Roland does a good job of hiding this! First, theres ONLY a system for saving and accessing Programs...NOT for saving and accessing Parts or Partials! (you can copy and paste parts and partials, but not SAVE them or access them SEPARATELY) So, unlike "Korg-style", you're limited to HOW you can save a simple patch. You might create a very cool analog *mono* lead patch (and the XA is good for that!), which only uses ONE Part of the 8 available in a Program. But you can't SAVE just the one Part. You've got to save the whole Program. Further...ALL of the preset patches that come on the XA, are Programs. There's no separate preset "Parts". Many preset Programs have only a couple of Parts turned on (making sound)....and THAT's the whole Program. So whether its a single part, or a big complex 8 part multi-timbral multi-channel template....either is saved as a Program. Which, honestly is similar to Combi's on a Korg. And to complicate matters further...theres ONE sequencer pattern tied to each Program. So that ONE pattern of 64 steps can only address the 8 Parts INSIDE the program (well, it CAN address whatever external midi devices you might have...but that's different of course), and there is no pattern chaining....so you're correct in your understanding that the pattern just loops repetitively.

So how do we get-over on THAT?

Clearly, we're going to need to use an external sequencer that is actually a PATTERN sequencer (or linear sequencer)...to be able to make a complex arrangement of many varying patterns. Now...we've already discovered that, much to our disappointment, changing Programs on the XA will automatically STOP the running sequencer. But here's the trick: The sequencer responds very well to external midi clock, AND to system REALTIME messages Start/Stop/Continue. This means, as long as your external sequencer (or some other external device) can record and/or send a Start/Stop command....you can send that to the XA to start its sequencer running, even after sending it a *Program change command*...and guess what....because the XA is in external sync mode, it will start the sequencer playing in time with the clock source!

So....In my video....I pre-arranged that composition so that the song structure was laid out for me (in other words, I cheated by recording certain events into my sequencers, so they would react and guide me through the parts that I actually played in real time). I was using THREE sequencers, Octatrack was the master clock, but also Maschine, and the XA sequencer itself, both as slaves. I created a number of Programs on the XA, not only did this enable me to use various (or variations on) the Parts inside each Program....but each Program has a fresh sequencer pattern which can contain its own modulations and settings.

Then, in Maschine, I recorded Program change as well as Start commands to be sent to the XA. How do you get Start commands into Maschine? Record them in real time! I personally use a MidiSolutions Pedal Controller, which allows you to use a simple foot-switch to send a Midi-Start/Stop command. Just point the midi output of this device into your sequencer, press record, press the footswitch, and you've recorded the command. You can then quantize the placement of the command as you like inside of your sequencer.

You could also, I assume, use the XA itself to send a Start Command....by again recording yourself pressing PLAY on the XA sequencer. It SHOULD send the command out its midi ports.

In any event (pun intended!), you've now got a program change and Start command recorded into your external sequencer. In my video I placed the Start command about 1 beat AFTER the program change message...to give the XA time to change, and catch the external time clock. Because I wasn't recording NOTES into the XA's sequencer, only parameter modulations, TIGHT timing wasn't particularly important in THIS case. I honestly haven't even tested it with Notes to see if the Program Change message and Start Message were on the same beat, would the XA respond in time with no glitches...I assume it would! But I can't say right now for sure. But no matter...since the XA responds very well to external clock, once you DO send the Start command...the XA will begin on a beat...and run in time with your other sequencer(s).

Now, with multiple Programs on the XA, being changed externally by program change commands....each Program holding 8 parts and a fresh 16 track sequence....and the ability to start that sequence running via a Start command.....further including the arrangement functionality and the drum-sounds from Maschine....and also using the Octatrack to capture real time Sample-Loops from the XA....all in sync.....you can see how the composition was anything BUT a looping 4 bar pattern.

Hope that all makes sense. In short (after being so long!), you can use the XA very well with an external sequencer. It responds very well to external clock...and each Program on the XA (which contains a fresh new sequence pattern) is designed to be an 8 part multi-timbral sound source. It actually works really great with an external sequencer and external looper.