Sonic State's Nick Batt gives the sequencer a roasting

Forum for the JD-XA.
RayS

Re: Sonic State's Nick Batt gives the sequencer a roasting

Post by RayS »

Yeah I agree cresshead, the sounds are fantastic, but the script "above" the buttons and the menu diving gets really annoying to be honest. The sequencer design is really weird to try and understand also. And where is Roland with some kind of update or something...??? Roland takes 2 steps forward and then 3 steps back.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

I spent several days stumbling around trying to learn the sequencer ins and outs, not too bad once you understand how it was meant to be used. First clue is that it's clearly labeled 'pattern seq' and not 'does it all seq better than your daw' lol. All kidding aside. If you have ever used a Alesis MMT-8 and 8 midi hardware synths (like in the old days) then the XA's seq logic makes total sense. Pattern based, like a drum machine and old hardware sequencers that could loop.

I can see how some reviewers like Sonic bashed the sequencer, but it's only because they didn't know how to use it correctly nor took the time to figure it out. And some fault lies with Roland on this one, like maybe include some of the above info in the manual or have a online demo showing how it's meant to be used. Many assume it's like a workstation sequencer and that's the mistake rather than learning it and using it for its strengths. I personally love how it works and the ability to export and import .MID files is very handy. I for example have imported song parts from my DAW in verse, chorus, transposed parts, etc, in 64-step sections. I then just turn on/off the parts live. I can now totally extend or shorten the songs live as I see fit - just like on a MMT-8. Perfect and so simple.

Check out the sequencer primer thread on how to use it. First step is understanding that deselecting the Program Select button puts the JD-XA in sequencer mode, again info that is omitted in the manual.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

SynthGraphics wrote:I spent several days stumbling around trying to learn the sequencer ins and outs, not too bad once you understand how it was meant to be used. First clue is that it's clearly labeled 'pattern seq' and not 'does it all seq better than your daw' lol. All kidding aside. If you have ever used a Alesis MMT-8 and 8 midi hardware synths (like in the old days) then the XA's seq logic makes total sense. Pattern based, like a drum machine and old hardware sequencers that could loop.

I can see how some reviewers like Sonic bashed the sequencer, but it's only because they didn't know how to use it correctly nor took the time to figure it out. And some fault lies with Roland on this one, like maybe include some of the above info in the manual or have a online demo showing how it's meant to be used. Many assume it's like a workstation sequencer and that's the mistake rather than learning it and using it for its strengths. I personally love how it works and the ability to export and import .MID files is very handy. I for example have imported song parts from my DAW in verse, chorus, transposed parts, etc, in 64-step sections. I then just turn on/off the parts live. I can now totally extend or shorten the songs live as I see fit - just like on a MMT-8. Perfect and so simple.

Check out the sequencer primer thread on how to use it. First step is understanding that deselecting the Program Select button puts the JD-XA in sequencer mode, again info that is omitted in the manual.
I have an Alesis MMT-8 and have been using it for 25 years. The Alesis is cool because you have a song mode to chain the patterns together. I do not have a JD-XA but I do not think it has the capability to make a song like the MMT-8. I guess sequencer on the JD-XA functions similarly as far as the pattern part but without a song mode or chaining to patterns it is not very useful in making a song. I still rather Roland not have included it. I plan to eventually get a JD-XA unless Roland releases a new Jupiter type synth that trumps it. I would not get it for its sequencer. I guess some people expect a Fantom style sequencer which of course it is not.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Synthtron wrote:
I have an Alesis MMT-8 and have been using it for 25 years. The Alesis is cool because you have a song mode to chain the patterns together. I do not have a JD-XA but I do not think it has the capability to make a song like the MMT-8. I guess sequencer on the JD-XA functions similarly as far as the pattern part but without a song mode or chaining to patterns it is not very useful in making a song. I still rather Roland not have included it. I plan to eventually get a JD-XA unless Roland releases a new Jupiter type synth that trumps it. I would not get it for its sequencer. I guess some people expect a Fantom style sequencer which of course it is not.
You are correct, the MMT-8 will chain play and has a song mode. But the JD-XA Pattern Seq was not meant to create songs with, it is what it is and works well. The Korg MS-2000 had a step 'motion' sequencer (basically the same thing) and people didn't seem to confuse it with a Workstation Sequencer and give Korg tons of crap about it. Same with the Sub-37 and Pro-2 - they have sequencers not designed nor intended to be used like a workstation to create songs.

Trying to make it more would kill the simplicity and creative flow it has. Just use your DAW our a dedicated sequencer if you need to create songs - with say a MMT-8 for example, midi sync that with the JD-XA and doors really open up when you use the two together. :)