JDXA still sounds beautiful like no other synthesizer.

Forum for the JD-XA.
windsmuse

JDXA still sounds beautiful like no other synthesizer.

Post by windsmuse »

Unless you own this little beast you have no idea how beautiful it sounds. Yes Roland will be sure to upgrade the OS. I heard an aftermarket vendor will be selling cardboard overlays to change the panel colors like NI Maschine for those who do not like the red face. I’m using my JDXA with a Moog Voyager and Nord Lead A1. It blends so well and has been the source of rich synth explorations.
Synth Guru

Re: JDXA still sounds beautiful like no other synthesizer.

Post by Synth Guru »

windsmuse wrote:Unless you own this little beast you have no idea how beautiful it sounds. Yes Roland will be sure to upgrade the OS. I heard an aftermarket vendor will be selling cardboard overlays to change the panel colors like NI Maschine for those who do not like the red face. I’m using my JDXA with a Moog Voyager and Nord Lead A1. It blends so well and has been the source of rich synth explorations.
Yes indeed~! I spent about 3 weeks with beast before sending it back :( Whilst I had it I made lots of amazing sounds. You're right on the money, still sounds like no other synthesizer. For me it was like breaking up with a girlfriend. You start to miss her after she's gone.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I have not had the pleasure of playing it yet. I may add a JD-XA in the next year or so. I only wish it had a couple more analog voices for 6 Note polyphony like my Juno-60 and 106 for playing pads.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

I heard an aftermarket vendor will be selling cardboard overlays to change the panel colors like NI Maschine for those who do not like the red face.
I run SynthGraphics.com. I have a JD-XA now, it's awesome! We would consider making a easier to read lexan overlay if there is enough interests? And no more glare & fingerprints. Would not be cheap though since it's a lot of surface area to be covered. Most likely a 5-piece kit.

Cheers,
Jamie
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

SynthGraphics wrote:
I heard an aftermarket vendor will be selling cardboard overlays to change the panel colors like NI Maschine for those who do not like the red face.
I run SynthGraphics.com. I have a JD-XA now, it's awesome! We would consider making a easier to read lexan overlay if there is enough interests? And no more glare & fingerprints. Would not be cheap though since it's a lot of surface area to be covered. Most likely a 5-piece kit.

Cheers,
Jamie
Hi Jamie,

I've seen your company's work, gorgeous templates! I'd be interested to know the cost? I do know that the readability of the current layout on the JD-XA is the number one complaint. I'm sure users would want to pay to make the changes.
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

That would be one complicated overlay to make with all the lights, buttons and knobs, etc. The lights would still need to be seen for the controls and maybe the lexan would dim or diffuse the border lighting on the panel a bit and make that a softer look.

I'd might be interested, but I'd want to definitely see some detailed photos of the fit and the finish. Hopefully some sort of fine mat finish. Just thinking out loud.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synth Guru wrote:
SynthGraphics wrote:

Cheers,
Jamie
Hi Jamie,

I've seen your company's work, gorgeous templates! I'd be interested to know the cost? I do know that the readability of the current layout on the JD-XA is the number one complaint. I'm sure users would want to pay to make the changes.
I'd be willing to pay for a nice looking overlay for JDXA!!
An overlay that would maybe use a light grey or off white for the smaller panel text, with a matte finish.
No shiny plastic!!!.....No red text with the red lighting.......these were a HUGE design mistake in my opinion, not sure what the Roland graphic dept. was thinking?? JDXA is a great synth, would be nice if one could read the front panel easier.

Maybe a design color motif like the JP-08.....Love the look of the JP-08!
windsmuse

Post by windsmuse »

10984995_709252042537547_8138813636432921338_n.jpg
10984995_709252042537547_8138813636432921338_n.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
You might verify if Roland will be issuing a white JDXA with face similar to their new white JDXi. They did some custom white JDXAs already (see photo). It would stimulate renewed interest at 2016 NAMM especially a white edition with firmware and OS upgrade. That would make the existing red/black face sales likely to drop off and leave a nice aftermarket for all the current owners of the red/black edition.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

DWareham02 wrote:That would be one complicated overlay to make with all the lights, buttons and knobs, etc. The lights would still need to be seen for the controls and maybe the lexan would dim or diffuse the border lighting on the panel a bit and make that a softer look.

I'd might be interested, but I'd want to definitely see some detailed photos of the fit and the finish. Hopefully some sort of fine mat finish. Just thinking out loud.

Should not be too hard, I do TR-8 overlays and they are very similar. :)

The fingerprints drive me crazy too. I doubt it won't be long before lots of tiny scratches will start to appear as well, already starting to see some on mine.

It's a shame roland put it in such a crappy plastic case, a proper Jupiter style metal case would have really helped people take it serious. It really is a powerhouse stuck in a toy body. Lol could you imagine people's reaction if the Prophet-6 for example was delivered in a Kmart grade plastic case.

Was thinking something Jupiter looking for graphics.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

SynthGraphics wrote: Was thinking something Jupiter looking for graphics.
That would be fantastic, Let me know when there is something to look at and purchase!

Just curious would these panels be on the same quality that KIWI Techniques creates for the real Juno and JX3P's that they upgrade?
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

SynthGraphics wrote:
DWareham02 wrote:That would be one complicated overlay to make with all the lights, buttons and knobs, etc. The lights would still need to be seen for the controls and maybe the lexan would dim or diffuse the border lighting on the panel a bit and make that a softer look.

Should not be too hard, I do TR-8 overlays and they are very similar. :)

The fingerprints drive me crazy too. I doubt it won't be long before lots of tiny scratches will start to appear as well, already starting to see some on mine.

It's a shame roland put it in such a crappy plastic case, a proper Jupiter style metal case would have really helped people take it serious. It really is a powerhouse stuck in a toy body. Lol could you imagine people's reaction if the Prophet-6 for example was delivered in a Kmart grade plastic case.

Was thinking something Jupiter looking for graphics.
I share the thoughts on scratches. I have one already at the base of the Master Volume control. Apparently my finger nail must have touched the plastic in adjusting it, so there is a partial ring at the base on one side. I find that fingerprints and finger oil can be easily removed with a soft damp cloth. Not too wet, just damp so there is no risk of water seeping in to a control. The fingerprints wipe off fairly easy, but I would like an overlay to really protect the glossy finish. My Korg Trinton Extreme has a mat hard finish and I've never noticed any finger prints or scratches. I've had it for about 8-9 years and it's like it's brand new still.

The glossy finish looks so nice when clean, but I wonder what it'll look like in a year or two. I really like the white control panel in the photo above. Nice !!!!
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

richardbates1 wrote:
That would be fantastic, Let me know when there is something to look at and purchase!

Just curious would these panels be on the same quality that KIWI Techniques creates for the real Juno and JX3P's that they upgrade?
I make the Kiwi overlays, so the answer is YES ;) Kiwitechnics doesn't make them, I work with them to insure everything is correct so it's a team effort - I'm the SynthGraphics guy.

Another panel blunder (IMO) is they put the labeling above the knobs rather than below - so if you're in a seated position you can't read them. Older Rolands in the past have always been this way but they usually positioned them up far enough it's not a problem, and is not as big of a deal with sliders rather than knobs. So I would most likely move the labels below the knobs (like Prophets, and most other 'knobby' synths).

Jamie
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

DWareham02 wrote:
SynthGraphics wrote:
DWareham02 wrote:The glossy finish looks so nice when clean, but I wonder what it'll look like in a year or two. I really like the white control panel in the photo above. Nice !!!!
I also like the white! But it makes the red-orangish LEDs look more pink 'ish.

I love how the JD-XA looks when clean, but looks really bad after a few hours of use.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

SynthGraphics wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:

I make the Kiwi overlays, so the answer is YES ;) Kiwitechnics doesn't make them, I work with them to insure everything is correct so it's a team effort - I'm the SynthGraphics guy.

Another panel blunder (IMO) is they put the labeling above the knobs rather than below - so if you're in a seated position you can't read them. Older Rolands in the past have always been this way but they usually positioned them up far enough it's not a problem, and is not as big of a deal with sliders rather than knobs. So I would most likely move the labels below the knobs (like Prophets, and most other 'knobby' synths).

Jamie
You do great work! Let us know when you have the panels to look at? What they will cost? Where to purchase?
I like the idea of having a Jupiter look, don't really care if the text is at the top or bottom of the controls.....................But I'm in!
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

I can't wait to see it! I may reconsider rebuying the beast :)