JD-XA Crackling Sound

Forum for the JD-XA.
len73

Re: JD-XA Crackling Sound

Post by len73 »

Mine was finally fixed (not exchanged) and everything works perfectly now.

Problem seems to be known by Roland...

Hope you will get a replacement.
saturn

Post by saturn »

mine had the crackling sound too. sent it back to my dealer and it got fixed (not replaced) within 5 weeks. got it back incl. overlays and it's working fine now.
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

I still have the crackling sound issue even after v1.50 update and don't know what to do. Vendor can't do anything in my country saying sorry only. Shame on Roland corp. they could release with such a defect to this price. Shame. Disappointed and angry.
len73

Post by len73 »

Have you tried to contact Roland in your country ? They must provide a solution !

I have read that the fix is done within minutes but Roland is keeping it secret (do not ask my why !!)

I know that upgrading to 1.5 or a factory reset do not change anything to the problem (I have tried everything before sending the unit back to my reseller who then send it to Roland in my country...)

Takes some weeks..... but in the end the unit will work great !

The JDXa is a fabulous machine, incredibly deep !
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

len73 wrote:Have you tried to contact Roland in your country ? They must provide a solution !

I have read that the fix is done within minutes but Roland is keeping it secret (do not ask my why !!)

I know that upgrading to 1.5 or a factory reset do not change anything to the problem (I have tried everything before sending the unit back to my reseller who then send it to Roland in my country...)

Takes some weeks..... but in the end the unit will work great !

The JDXa is a fabulous machine, incredibly deep !
Yes. Tried. Thanks to local vendor, i am promised today to be replaced once again (this will be my 3rd XA, coming/going because of this crackle issue).

It is told that existing Nr2 XA will be taken back and replaced once again not a local replacement but with a brand new one (expected from reach to Turkey in May,2017 from US).
Waiting now for 3rd replacement. Started waiting 2.5 months now.... Until that time i will be keeping Nr2. You are right. It is a great synth indeed.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I had a problem with digital crackling/distortion creeping in after approx 20 minutes of usage when using USB audio with a mac (I tried 2 different macs with same result). Alongside the cracking, it also increased the latency.

I spoke with roland UK at some length, and I did say that I thought it was software/driver related, but in the end Roland had the jd-xa back and did something, but I had the same problem when it came back.

Quite by accident I found that there was a jd-xa entry in the Mac's settings. After increasing the audio buffer size there, I haven't had an issue since (touch wood).
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:I had a problem with digital crackling/distortion creeping in after approx 20 minutes of usage when using USB audio with a mac (I tried 2 different macs with same result). Alongside the cracking, it also increased the latency.

I spoke with roland UK at some length, and I did say that I thought it was software/driver related, but in the end Roland had the jd-xa back and did something, but I had the same problem when it came back.

Quite by accident I found that there was a jd-xa entry in the Mac's settings. After increasing the audio buffer size there, I haven't had an issue since (touch wood).
It is a hardware issue. Try A01, arpegiattor is on, low octave and press multikeys if you are on v1.0 update or A12 in you are v1.15 update.
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

I'm on 1.50, so trying A12 (Sol Levante).

Changed octave to -3.
Arpeggio is on for that patch by default.
Held down 6 notes - no problem.
Latched it with "key hold" and left it playing for some time.

No issues.

As I said, *my* issue (digital crackling/distortion over USB audio after 10+ minutes) was seemingly resolved with the "Mac Settings>JD-XA driver" method I mentioned.
Novaliz

Post by Novaliz »

I updated to 1.5 but A12 is not the patch sol levante but bass bottom?
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Novaliz wrote:I updated to 1.5 but A12 is not the patch sol levante but bass bottom?
Youre still on 1.12 then. Sol Levante is A12 if you have applied the 1.5 set. Honestly though... you might want to try out the sounds before commiting to the update. There are a few nice programs in there, but you can grab what you like, and leave 1.12 in place if you want. Anyway - the new sounds only happen once you do a factory reset after upgrading. Follow all the directions... do backups, etc...
Novaliz

Post by Novaliz »

Ah thx, I had to make the factory reset :)
elpiulas2015

Post by elpiulas2015 »

Mine is also affected with the same problem. I am waiting for a replacement. The unit had the 1.01 firmware. Updated to 1.50. No difference. Maybe tomorrow will have the new unit for testing. I hope to have more luck this time....
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

For reference, here's what sol levante (firmware 1.50 program A12) should sound like.

It has a percussive element to it by design, due to the step flanger MFX on digital part 1.

Firstly the mp3 file plays a single note for the full program, then just digital part 1, then digital part 1 with MFX disabled.

The last 2 are low-octave full program chords.
Attachments
A12_sol_levante.mp3
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 334 times
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

I got the same issue on my used XA. Fortunately it is still under waranty. Can't believe, the guy who sold it didn't mention that...
DonnieJ

Post by DonnieJ »

FML.....

I picked up a JD-XA on craigslist....I'm sure you guys know where this is going...

When I'm playing with the headphones directly in and the Local Switch is ON, it plays perfectly.

When I'm playing via USB Audio in Pro Tools (Local Switch OFF)...it plays good for minuets then starts crackling bad. It won't go away on its own, only if I switch channels. But then then new channel starts to make the cracks. It is definitely not my DAW/interface because if I switch to any instrument (Guitar, JUNO DS88) there is no crack sound.

I went to check the serial # in the back and......no serial.

What are my options? Will Roland possibly fix this unit for me? What would it cost to fix? Is there a download I can try first? Already did a Factory Reset and still had problems.