JD-XA Crackling Sound

Forum for the JD-XA.
SynthGraphics

Re: JD-XA Crackling Sound

Post by SynthGraphics »

RonF wrote:I can't stress enough...if you're having digital clicks and pops intermittently....seek to replace the unit. Its defective. Feel secure in the knowledge that a properly working JDXA has ZERO digital clicks or pops. Indeed, this sucks for anyone who it happens to (it certainly was an inconvenience and concern for me when it happened)...but I suspect its a small number of production units who have this issue. I have no idea what the source of the issue is....but its easy to test of you have THE described issue...by simply turning on and up the delay effect. If the click/pop results in delay taps....then its clearly originating within the XA signal chain internally...and you have a defective unit.
Does anyone know which serial numbers have been deemed defective? I just randomly heard a large digital like pop while sequencing.
tomoe97

Post by tomoe97 »

I don't know the range of serial numbers, but I can tell you how I handled a similar problem with my own JD-XA. Since it was beyond the time that I could return it to the vendor, I spoke directly to Roland's tech support, who were very helpful. After ruling out other possibilities, Roland provided an RA # and paid for my JD-XA to be sent in for repair. Rather than replacing it entirely, they performed some sort of modification to it--what they called the "pop mod." They wouldn't divulge what the "pop mod" consisted of, but whatever they did fixed the problem and it was returned with all of my presets intact (nonetheless, I do recommend backing up your presets to a USB drive before sending it in for repair). Now my JD-XA sounds and works great!
daza1973

Post by daza1973 »

Bought my JDXA on Friday and after a weekend of getting to know it - it has been displaying to very same pops/clicks as mentioned above albeit not that often....
After googling - it brought me to this forum...
Feeling very frustrated atm as I was really enjoying this instrument, now the intermittent noises are just winding me up...
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

daza1973 wrote:Bought my JDXA on Friday and after a weekend of getting to know it - it has been displaying to very same pops/clicks as mentioned above albeit not that often....
After googling - it brought me to this forum...
Feeling very frustrated atm as I was really enjoying this instrument, now the intermittent noises are just winding me up...
Sorry daza please take it back and change it. It won't fix itself. I had the same problem and the shop gave me another and I now have zero problems.
prophonic

Post by prophonic »

Hey,

Don't worry, it will be fine. If your JD-XA is brand new from a dealer, i would demand a replacement.
Otherwise all you need to do is contact Roland in your country and give them the serial number.
They will tell you to where to send it (you can even take it to a local Roland repair shop, if they are a contract Roland shop).
The culprit is one small component that needs to be replaced, takes less than 5 minutes. After that it is a perfectly fine JD-XA.
daza1973

Post by daza1973 »

prophonic wrote:Hey,

Don't worry, it will be fine. If your JD-XA is brand new from a dealer, i would demand a replacement.
Otherwise all you need to do is contact Roland in your country and give them the serial number.
They will tell you to where to send it (you can even take it to a local Roland repair shop, if they are a contract Roland shop).
The culprit is one small component that needs to be replaced, takes less than 5 minutes. After that it is a perfectly fine JD-XA.
Replacement one coming Thurs/Friday so all is good....
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Had the same with mine .. put up with it for a couple of months believing it to be some other device until I isolated it to the JDXA went back and had a thrash with the shop display one and couldnt replicate it, so my shop changed it no problem ... very annoying as I thought it was going to damage my speakers, with the spike level in volume it produced. It was when working with the delay it became instantaneously obvious who the culprit was .. no problems thereafter
electrick

Post by electrick »

Hi alltogether,

just received my JD-XA before new year and played it using the included V-Moda headphone. Sometimes, very randomly, I can hear a single loud click/pop, followed by repeated white noise in the same rythmic occurance as the delay effect.

It is not that heavy like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqQsxEqHeg, but it sounds similar, espacially when using sound A06.

I was wondering about the software version being only 1.01 when I cheked it. I updated to 1.5 an made a factory reset, but nothing changed.

Should I return it to the store or contact Roland ?
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

'Should I return it to the store ?'

Yes and mention this thread. You need a new one.
electrick

Post by electrick »

Thank you runningman67,

is just contacted my store (musicstore.de) via E-mail including a link to this thread.

Regards,

Dirk
daza1973

Post by daza1973 »

Still waiting for my replacement (fingers crossed for tomorrow)

I know they have probably sold tens of 1000's of JDXA's I find it rather disconcerting how many units are exhibiting this behaviour and even though Roland are fully aware of the issue (as they told me) you'd think they would get on top of this and check existing stock....
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

daza1973 wrote:I know they have probably sold tens of 1000's of JDXA's...
I think you overestimate the market a great deal. There were only 2000 Jupiter 8s, and 40,000 Juno 106s during their product lifetimes. JD-XA hasn't even been out for 2 full years yet. I'd be surprised if they'd sold 1000 of them. Had they sold 10s of thousands, it would be getting a lot more attention!
daza1973

Post by daza1973 »

rsaintjohn wrote:
daza1973 wrote:I know they have probably sold tens of 1000's of JDXA's...
I think you overestimate the market a great deal. There were only 2000 Jupiter 8s, and 40,000 Juno 106s during their product lifetimes. JD-XA hasn't even been out for 2 full years yet. I'd be surprised if they'd sold 1000 of them. Had they sold 10s of thousands, it would be getting a lot more attention!
Wow - genuinely though they rolled out in bigger numbers than >1000 ....

and only 2000 JP-8's ever made that's a scary stat (unless you own one) no wonder they developed the System 8...
Also my replacement has arrived, pick it up tomorrow...
len73

Post by len73 »

Hi there,

Just to let you know that my unit has exacly the same problem of loud crackling digital sound making the synth being simply unusable. It is, for sure, not a early production unit !

A bit sad, as I planned to use my few days holidays to dig into the great machine...

I am still waiting from my reseller to know if I could get a new unit as replacement or if i need to wait for a repair...

Really disapointed for a synth of this price.

Hope Roland will serioulsy consider this problem !
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

prophonic wrote:Hey,

Yesterday my new JD-XA has just reached at home and with great feelings i tried it unfortunately had the same issue like yours, disappointed. Decided to ask for a replacement from the vendor.