JD-XA Crackling Sound

Forum for the JD-XA.
o.durmusoglu

Re: JD-XA Crackling Sound

Post by o.durmusoglu »

SnakePlissken wrote:So I finally picked up my JD XA today and to my dismay had severe crackling issues on the 1st patch? it was seriously horrible and I was using headphones. For some reason I had very low levels from both the headphone out put and to my Focusrite audio interface for the synth volume, the crackle persisted in both connections
I was on FW 1.10, then updated to 1.50 after reading about the extra patches available
So that patch no longer exists, but this means I still have a faulty unit? Roland were kind enough to send me my overlay before I picked up the unit as they sent an email confirming where I had purchased this from, getting proof that I had actually bought one. Just meant that I could apply the overlays prior to using the unit

So should I tell them of this issue? I only have 3 weeks left of my holidays and I really want to get into making music, having my unit sent off now would ruin my chance and also waste my overlays

Advice anyone?

I replaced crackling one with another via local Roland Turkey. Then, 2nd one was also crackling. I sent this too back. Then, they ordered another (3rd) from US. Now, after two months waiting new one to reach it is ok.The only solution is replacement. Give it back my friend. . However, overlay skin is missing.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

I had it just one day in the service station. Never had any issue so far. Seems like this is an easy fix.
SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken »

Duplobaustein wrote:Interesting information about this issue from GS.

Wait what? ring Roalnd this morning and they were so helpful that I managed to get my JD XA fixed in 30 mins from a service center not even 5 mins from me lol
A capacitor was desoldered as is the known issue, he had it on the bench for 30 mins checking it out as I showed him the initial issue. Roland went out of their way for a same day fix, brilliant is all I can say
I had to head off to Bunnings to get some gear to get my desk ready for the JD XA, the technician said as soon as I had left the problem was fixed.
Yeah that was me, I don't know why but there is no need to get a replacement Synth, they remove the cap, this is the known issue. Getting a new Synth does not fix the issue
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

My JDXA started out with no cackles or pops.
Now 3 years later it has developed the crackles, pop and white noise.
I am getting it fixed by sending it to Roland.
The problem is I am no longer under warranty.
MattFosterMusic

Post by MattFosterMusic »

A guy at Gearslutz has documented the potential failings of the JD-XA build here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthr ... erid=35280

I love this keyboard and would love to see a solution to the noise in the analog section.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I don't have clicks on my digital section but have a slight fuzz on my analog. It appears after the tone has ended, and can be dealt with using the envelopes to curtail it. From my testing it appears to be something to do with the keybed... That being said it is barely noticeable, and on a track you'd have to be an audio jedi to hear it and be disturbed enough by it for it to have a negative effect on the opinion of a track.

Makes me think people here haven't tried a JX-3P... or a Juno... or a Jupiter... or any of the other Roland analog synths, cus they all fuzz and buzz way worse than the JD-XA. It's part of the character and completely manageable. Live you 100% would never notice it (I don't hear streams of people after Depeche Mode or Chvrches concerts complaining) :)

If sonic audio perfection is what you are after maybe go for a more sterile analog synth, or a digital synth that has good VA, like the Kurzweil PC3 series. Clean as a whistle, with big chunk. Probably more to the liking of people here if this analog fuzz issue is so pressing. If it's worse by your effects then maybe change the way you do your effects?! Don't compress or EQ it to make it sound worse, makes no sense!
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

OneOfManyPauls wrote:For reference, here's what sol levante (firmware 1.50 program A12) should sound like.

It has a percussive element to it by design, due to the step flanger MFX on digital part 1.

Firstly the mp3 file plays a single note for the full program, then just digital part 1, then digital part 1 with MFX disabled.

The last 2 are low-octave full program chords.
Does anyone have a recording of the Sol Levante patch that is actually affected by the crackle issue? It would be interesting to hear how it sounds on the affected JD-XAs. Can not seem to find it anywhere online.
djfxall

Post by djfxall »

So I have had mine for almost one year and have had 3 times a real loud pop noise followed by a crackle. I have tried to call Roland and email them with no luck. Not a fan of the leave your number we will call you back. Especially cause I do not usually answer numbers I do not recognize on my phone. Can anyone help me with contacting someone to fix this issue. Yesterday I got crackling while just playing a patch the other times it happened when I was adjusting spectrum in the mfx section a loud pop then a crackling noise followed. It has not been a constant thing but nor do I want it to become especially with the warranty nearing it's 1 year mark.
maxtor154

Post by maxtor154 »

Ring their sales department and ask for a rep to call you back regarding buying some keyboards for a project. Then when he calls (which in my case he did) I hit him with the crackling noise. It's a design fault and Roland "will" fix for nothing, design flaw.
In my case I was lucky, the person I bought mine from took it back and then he took it to a store in London that do the repair. I have the receipt they charged him roughly £200 to fix yes £200
caicheng

Post by caicheng »

So I bought the jd-xa form 2nd hand market. And having this issue. I notice that the crackling sound have the relation with templature. The higher templature the less crackling sound.

So since it is a well-known issue, and It seems can fixed by replace some cap.
So Could Roland publish the fix solution?