Using JD-XA with a DAW

Forum for the JD-XA.
producer3000

Using JD-XA with a DAW

Post by producer3000 »

Is there a way to get the JD-XA to playback via MIDI in a sort of OMNI mode? If I'm correct, the different parts of the programs have different MIDI channels assigned to them (1-4 for analog, 5-8 for digital). When I step up to the keyboard and play I hear all of the elements of the program. If I play back via MIDI from my DAW I will only hear the part that has the corresponding MIDI channel assigned to it. I'd like to be able to scroll through the different program presets as MIDI plays to audition programs without having to assign all of channels 1-8 from the same MIDI track in my DAW. Is there a way to do that easily or am I missing something?

Thanks!
PauloF

Re: Using JD-XA with a DAW

Post by PauloF »

producer3000 wrote:Is there a way to get the JD-XA to playback via MIDI in a sort of OMNI mode? If I'm correct, the different parts of the programs have different MIDI channels assigned to them (1-4 for analog, 5-8 for digital). When I step up to the keyboard and play I hear all of the elements of the program. If I play back via MIDI from my DAW I will only hear the part that has the corresponding MIDI channel assigned to it. I'd like to be able to scroll through the different program presets as MIDI plays to audition programs without having to assign all of channels 1-8 from the same MIDI track in my DAW. Is there a way to do that easily or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Clan producer3000!

That will depend on the way the track was recorded and on how the DAW manages to Output MIDI tracks.

What is your DAW?

Cheers,
PauloF
producer3000

Post by producer3000 »

Thanks-

Depending on what day Pro Tools, Logic X, or Studio One 3.
Venn Diagram

Post by Venn Diagram »

producer3000 wrote:Is there a way to get the JD-XA to playback via MIDI in a sort of OMNI mode? If I'm correct, the different parts of the programs have different MIDI channels assigned to them (1-4 for analog, 5-8 for digital). When I step up to the keyboard and play I hear all of the elements of the program. If I play back via MIDI from my DAW I will only hear the part that has the corresponding MIDI channel assigned to it. I'd like to be able to scroll through the different program presets as MIDI plays to audition programs without having to assign all of channels 1-8 from the same MIDI track in my DAW. Is there a way to do that easily or am I missing something?

Thanks!
FOR LOGIC X

1.Yes

2.Set up the JD-XA for Usb Midi exactly as the Manual states in OS X using Midi Set Up.

3.You to create a secondary JD-XA device and connect the midi in to midi out arrows on both the primary and secondary device per the manual instructions.

4.Set the USB Mode to Vendor (in Logic you don't have to use it as an audio interface if another radio interface is connected and preferred (which is how I use it).

5.Create a Midi Plugin for the JD-XA device - set Midi channel to ALL (this will record any program in full omni mode, including arps and all parts selected. Midi tracks can be exploded out from the primary root track for further editing after the event.

6.Any other tracks can be played / sequenced separately by selecting their appropriate midi channel from a new JD-XA Instrument Plug-Ib

7.Working this way all the LOGIC X Midi FX (arp etc etc, modulators and so on can all be used with any single or multiple combinations of JD-XA parts)

NB:Just make sure you don't continually make audio track inputs from the JD-XA's USB on each instrument Plug In created. Secondly I record the digital synth parts from the stereo out and the analog parts from th separate direct analog output. If you wish to track parts within a program separately you can SHIFT and click the ON buttons for any part and they will mute so you can build up multi-track performances on multiple audio tracks for mix down also.

Hope this helps some. I only use Logic but this should be a helpful start.
LittleJJ

Post by LittleJJ »

This is what I want to do with DP9. Anyone? It seems odd to me that Roland would not have a "single" or "super stack" mode where what you hear when you walk ip and play the instrument is what you hear when you play back a MIDI track. Why all the fussy fiddling to do something so simple? Obviously the synth "knows" how to send the same data to 4,5,6,7,8 parts, it's doing it already! Ugh. I may have to dump the thing. I bought it because I liked the stacked sounds, but I MUST be able to play parts into a sequencer and play them back sounding correct (btw; playing back 6 midi tracks sounds wrong and terrible, nothing like the stack I hear from local control).
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

I use Ableton Live 9.5 and whilst it records all the channels the JDXA puts out, it (quite unbelievably) only allow one channel to play back. All you can do, is copy the recorded track a further 7 times !! .. and replay them with adifferent channel number assigned to each (assuming you use all 8 parts)

I also use Cubase Essential 4 and it allows mutichannel recording and playback from the one track, so the JDXA works perfectly there. It even has a one shot demerge facility to split them all up for you automatically, if you so wished. There isnt a function on the JDXA to have all channels triggered from a single channel input as far as I can see ? Ive wondered about this too ?
LittleJJ

Post by LittleJJ »

Alternatively, if you just want the sunth to play back what you hear when you play on its keyboard (via local control) turn on "Remote Keyboard" from the SYSTEM (about 167 pages in). Then the JD-XA will play from MIDI just as tho you were playing the keyboard on the unit. It took me days to figure this simple thing out. Roland do love its mysteries!
fCo

Post by fCo »

Hi all, I'm new to Roland, I have just bought the JD XA few days ago and I also identified the same problem, machine is not being able to send all voices as one midi channel. I need to create 4 tracks for my analog voices (if I turn on poly and select unision, I can force analog to 1 channel) but any automation or digital parts are not included. Those parameters are further separated on separate channels 5678 and so on. My question is as follows:

Will this "turn on "Remote Keyboard"" option resolve the situation to force output on one channel, or this is just a matter of hearing the same sounds while playing it on the midi track? Sorry, I'm new to hardware synthesizers, until now I was doing VSTis only.
Thanks you in advance.
Filip
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

LittleJJ wrote:Alternatively, if you just want the sunth to play back what you hear when you play on its keyboard (via local control) turn on "Remote Keyboard" from the SYSTEM (about 167 pages in). Then the JD-XA will play from MIDI just as tho you were playing the keyboard on the unit. It took me days to figure this simple thing out. Roland do love its mysteries!
This works when using MIDI but not USB
OneOfManyPauls

Post by OneOfManyPauls »

edit: sorry, just realised I misread the original post - they wanted to avoid having to do this for every patch they wanted to audition. My bad.

- - -

Isn't the easiest way to do this to set the midi channel for all of the parts to be the same channel rather than the default separate 1-8?

eg
MENU
PART EDIT
PART MIDI (shift + > to get there quickly from the initial part edit menu)
then just press the part select for each part and the +/- keys to select the same channel for each

When I do this in ableton, it is recording and playing back as if it were omni.
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

Interesting .. not tried that !!