JDXA Sequencer Primer

Forum for the JD-XA.
PauloF

Re: JDXA Sequencer Primer

Post by PauloF »

RonF wrote:Thank you again, @tomoe97! Yes, I would say that its two things that caused me to miss it.
1) its not spelled out in the Roland documentation.
2) you need to be in "sequencer mode" (described in my original post above) for this particular copy operation to appear on screen....without scrolling through a long list to find it.

No matter....YOU found it, and that helps us ALL quite a bit! In fact, it resolves one of my major gripes with the sequencer that I was perceiving...and I WRONGLY bashed on Roland about it: it seemed there was no way to copy tracks so that you can USE tracks 9-16 in conjunction with the internal synth Parts. I was wrong about that! And thank God I was! Now, with this "new" discovery, there are far more impressive implications about how to use tracks 9-16 conveniently in connection with the internal synth Parts, as described in more detail in the OP. Side note: to be fair to myself, Roland STILL really should have made the keybed "play through" to the synth Part if ANY track is assigned to INT and the correct midi-channel. But at least they "built in" a work-around, called Copy/Paste!

Think about this: You can now conveniently record up to 8 variations of a bass line on, say, track 8 (where you have full monitoring of your performance while recording), and copy each variation to tracks 9-16. Then change tracks 9-16 to the midi channel of the bass synth Part you want to hear. Set each of those tracks 9-16 to OFF (rather than INT or EXT!!!) Now you've got 8 VARIATIONS that you can switch to INT in real time...and bring those variations in and out during a real time performance. You could do the same thing with controller modulations (real time knob/slider movements you've recorded), and bring those variations in and out by simply changing a track(s) status from OFF to INT, as long as the midi-channel is assigned for those tracks to the right Part. It really opens up some variation on the JDXA sequencer, which was sorely missing.

The missing component was that there was no easy way to record onto 9-16 while they were assigned to INT. With no record monitoring...you had to resort to external midi loops to monitor and record on those tracks. NOW, as we understand, its quite easy to record any part on tracks 1-8, and simply copy them over to 9-16...to load them up. Brilliant!

I've edited (in red) the OP so that it correctly represents the facts.
Great work and Post RonF and great catch @tomoe97

huge contribution to the Clan and all JD-XA users and possible buyers, guys!!

This thread really needs to be sticky!
tomoe97

Post by tomoe97 »

Glad I could help!
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

Ron: Many thanks for the Sequencer Primer. I'm in Day 3 of using this now, and I made the error of trying to record in Program Mode... Dahhhh....The Primer will help me greatly. I'm just a basic user and trying to muddle my way through learning more about keyboards and Synths..

I'm really a guitar player and cross training myself to expand my knowledge and abilities. It'll be a struggle, but learning more about the JD-XA is addictive. This box is so cool. I love it.

Thanks Don
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Great info here, thanks guys!

I spent several days stumbling around trying to learn the sequencer ins and outs, not too bad once you understand how it was meant to be used. First clue is that it's clearly labeled 'pattern seq' and not 'does it all seq better than your daw' lol. All kidding aside. If you have ever used a Alesis MMT-8 and 8 midi hardware synths (like in the old days) then the XA's seq logic makes total sense.

I can see how some reviewers like Sonic bashed the sequencer, but it's only because they didn't know how to use it correctly nor took the time to figure it out. And some fault lies with Roland on this one, like maybe include some of the above info in the manual or have a online demo showing how it's meant to be used. Many assume it's like a workstation sequencer and that's the mistake rather than learning it and using it for its strengths. I personally love how it works and the ability to export and import .MID files is very handy. I for example have imported song parts from my DAW in verse, chorus, etc, transposed parts in 64-step sections. I then just turn on/off the parts live. I can now totally extend or shorten the songs live as I see fit - just like on a MMT-8. Perfect and so simple.
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

Thank you Ron!
I have been reading your posts before buying the jd-xa. You are the reason i decided to go for one!
lekanout

Post by lekanout »

Ronf:
I just wanted to post a big thanks for all these good things you share with all the community.
Very useful for us,thanks a lot man!
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

RonF wrote:I know there's a lot of questions about the JDXA Sequencer. Here's a quick primer (especially for @cello, who I know is finding his way through his TWO new JDXA's):

Edit: This has now been updated to correctly represent the JDXA sequencer Copy/Paste function, and how it impacts the use of the sequencer.

1. The JDXA has ONE pattern associated with each ONE program. There is no "pattern chaining" or "song mode" on the JDXA. Without turning to EXTERNAL means (notably, the use of program change commands, along with midi realtime Start commands), there is currently no way to automate the chaining of multiple patterns, or moving from one program to another without the sequencer stopping. Changing programs will automatically cause the sequencer to stop (thus the need for a concurrent midi-start command if you send the unit a program change command, as a work-around). A Pattern is saved with a Program....and a Program contains one Pattern. That's the structure, and that's that. Without an update from Roland...that is what we have been provided here. The only way to start or trigger the sequencer...is by pressing the Play button on the unit, or to send it an external real time midi-start command. There is no other "trigger modes" currently, such as note-on triggers. The sequencer works very well as a self contained (within a single program/pattern) straight forward recording tool, 16 tracks which point to the 8 internal synth parts, and up to at least 8 external parts (though, you CAN send ALL 16 tracks to external gear if you wish, or conversely send all 16 tracks to the 8 internal synth parts). The primary way to record data into a track/pattern is to use the available record methods (real time/step1/step2), or to import an SMF file. You can copy/paste a recorded track to any other track, or copy any track(s) to any other pattern in any other program, by using [Shift-Copy (the Bank button)], and following the prompts to select a source and destination. A pattern is 16 track, 16 channel, up to 64 steps (no individual track lengths for polyrhythmic playing), internal or external on EACH track, and can record note data or controller data (on board synth parameters from the control panel, or external controller data sent via midi).

2) You have to understand that the JDXA has two Modes that it can operate in: "Program Mode" and "Sequencer Mode". This is not identified by name at all in the documentation. But...a KEY thing to learn about using the sequencer, is that you must switch from Program Mode (the default at power-up, OR when selecting any new Program) TO Sequencer Mode, in order to "interface with" the sequencer. To do this, you have to turn OFF the Program Select Button, so that its NOT illuminated in RED. Now...you are in "Sequencer mode": the program select buttons will now show any sequencer activity and recorded sequencer events (rather than being used to select banks/programs), and most importantly, the PART Select buttons on the top left of the JDXA now become TRACK select buttons! Until you learn THIS little secret.....using the sequencer can be VERY confusing to interface with.

3) Its also important to consider that in its most basic function, this sequencer thinks more in terms of PARTS than it does in terms of TRACKS. While there is 16 tracks in the sequencer...everything about the way the interface is designed is to select PARTS (individual synth patches WITHIN a program, 4 analog and 4 digital on the JDXA), RATHER THAN selecting the tracks you are going to record on. So, Part 1 is defaulted to Track 1; Part 2 is defaulted to Track 2; and so on. You really don't NEED to think about which TRACK you are recording on. In its most basic form (the default settings), you just have to consider which PART(s) you are seeking to record (by selecting and turning on/off those parts), and record them. They will automatically populate onto the associated TRACKS they are tied to.

4) Because many (factory preset) Programs use multiple Parts to make up the synth-patch you hear when playing the keyboard....its possible, in fact likely, that several sequencer tracks are active at once! Any Part that is ON, is by default ALSO active for recording on its corresponding SEPARATE sequencer track. So, for example, the power-up patch on a fresh JDXA is "A01 Heaven". Its got 6 parts active, all playing as one "preset". If you record yourself playing on the keybed, by simply pressing the REC button and performing some phrase....the data you'll record will separate each of those 6 parts onto 6 SEPARATE tracks. Not that you need to worry about this in practice....but its good to understand what's happening under the hood. IF you want to manage your recordings with more granularity, for example, recording it all on ONE track ONLY (basically, multi-timbral recording)...you must first turn OFF any Part that you DON'T want to record *while in Sequencer Mode*. OR...you must set the Synth PARTS you want to combine onto one track, onto the same Midi-Channel of that Track. Each Part AND each Track can be assigned its own midi channel. If they match....then obviously that Track will address that Part. But, in its most basic form...as defaulted from the factory.....just recognize that each Part records onto its own Track/Channel.

5) If you go to [Menu - Pattern Util - Track Settings]....you can select whether ANY of the 16 TRACKS will play: [Off/Int/Ext/Both]. That means that tracks 1 through 8, which default to playing the Internal Synth Parts 1 through 8, CAN be set to play external gear as well. When set to INT, no data is sent out the hardware midi-out ports. When set to Ext or Both....data will be sent out the midi-out ports. Conversely, TRACKS 9 through 16, which default to playing EXT synths, CAN be pointed to the Internal Synth Parts...by changing them to INT. You can therefore, record data on Tracks 9 through 16.....and then point them to the Internal Synth Parts to create variations of the tracks you've made. You might, for example, record two versions of a bass-line. One on track 1 and the other on track 9. Both tracks are intended to play Analog PART 1, a mono-bass patch, set to midi channel 1. Point track 9 to INT (and change its midi channel to the same as Synth Part 1), and both tracks will address Synth Part 1. Now you can "mute" (actually, you disconnect a track by changing its status to OFF) either track, and switch back and forth between them. This gives you some level of "chaining", or diversity in your performances and sequences.

6) The way you access tracks 1 through 8, while in "Sequencer mode", is easy. Just press the blue illuminated Select button for each part 1 through 8. When in "Sequencer Mode" (see above)....those select buttons don't represent synth parts any longer.....they represent TRACKS. Select Part D-1 (Digital part 1), and you've selected Track 5, as an example. BUT...HOW do you select tracks 9 through 16? You must enter MIDI CTRL mode, by pressing the MIDI CTRL button. NOW, those same Part Select buttons will select TRACKS 9 through 16!

7) By default....When you're in MIDI CTRL mode AND Sequencer mode (in other words, the MIDI CTRL button is illuminated, and the PROGRAM SELECT button is NOT illuminated), you'll see on the screen the MIDI Channel of each TRACK 9 - 16. You can change the midi channel on those Tracks to ANY midi Channel, 1 through 16. So TRACKS 9-16 can be assigned to INT AND to the midi channel of any Internal Synth Part...or any combination thereof.

8) In [Menu - Part], you can change the midi channel that each internal SYNTH PART responds to. By default....each Synth Part 1 through 8 responds to midi channel 1 through 8. But its easy enough to change a Synth Part's Midi channel, so that several parts are on the same channel. Its also easy enough to change any TRACKS' midi channel (notably TRACKS 9 - 16) to any other channel. So ANY TRACK can address ANY PART.

9) If an EXT TRACK (Tracks 9 through 16, which are set to EXT by default) is changed to INT, and, if you change the midi channel of that same TRACK to point to the midi channel of an INTERNAL Synth Part (for example, midi channel 1 corresponding with Synth PART 1)....any data on that TRACK WILL sound on the INTERNAL Part! That is great! BUT: while selecting that TRACK (9-16), so that you can record data onto it....the KEYBOARD will not "play through" to the internal Synth Part so you can't MONITOR what you are recording! There is no setting that I can find which alters this behavior.

What you CAN do as a work-around, however, is to route the keyboard performance out through the JDXA's hardware midi-out port....and then (perhaps using a DAW or midi-thru box) back into its midi-in port. THAT is what it takes to MONITOR the performance you're playing on the keybed, so that you can record it on the selected track (9-16). However, its likely easier to just record your performance onto tracks 1-8, where the keybed by default DOES "play through" to the internal synth parts as expected for real time monitoring of your recordings, and then use [Shift-Copy] to relocate your performance onto tracks 9-16, and then assign those tracks to INT and the proper midi-channels. IMPORTANT: This only pertains to using Tracks 9-16 as internal tracks. If you just want to do basic on-board internal sequencing on tracks 1-8...you don't need to worry about any of this. The keyboard DOES play through to the internal synth parts on tracks 1-8 for real time monitoring while recording!

10) this is a good time to make a distinction/analogy that helped me to understand the XA quite a bit. A Program on the XA is very much the same as a Combi on any Korg Workstation (or a Studio Set on many Roland workstations). In Korg-speak, you've got Programs, which are individual synth-patches, and you can combine those into a multi-timbral/multi-channel/multi-zone/multi-mix/multi-pan/etc package called a Combi. You can use a Combi as a complex synth-patch of its own, where each Program is set to the same midi-channel, and when you play the keyboard, it just plays whatever Programs are assigned together as one "Patch". OR....you can use a Combi with separate midi-channels per Program, and essentially have a multi-track multi-timbral template, where you're playing each Program separately from an external source (onboard or external sequencer, keyboard, whatever). But that's all KORG-speak. I bring this up because it's familiar to many here....Korg's used THAT language and structure for like 2 decades.

On the XA...a "Program" is a COMBI....not a PROGRAM...in Korg-speak. Rather, a "Part" is a PROGRAM in Korg-speak, using the same analogy. SO: You could do an entire composition on the XA by staying in ONE Program, but make changes to the Parts inside of it...you've got 8 internal and 8 external Parts! Further: in the digital Parts (4 of them), you've got up to 3 Partials which can make up that Part. Honestly....Each PARTIAL is very similar to a full PROGRAM on most Korg synths! So there's a LOT that can be going on sonically in a singular Program on the XA. Parts each have their own midi channel, and on/off settings. Each can be panned, have different levels, split/layered on the keybed, addressed by controllers or not, etc. A Part is a real building block of the Program structure.

Now Roland does a good job of hiding all this! First, theres ONLY a system for saving and accessing Programs...NOT for saving and accessing Parts or Partials! (you can copy and paste parts and partials, but not SAVE them or access them SEPARATELY) So, unlike "Korg-style" (also unlike the Integra7, FA series, or Jupiter 80/50), you're limited by HOW you can save a simple patch. You might create a very cool analog *mono* lead patch (and the XA is good for that!), which only uses ONE Part of the 8 available Parts in a Program. But you can't SAVE just the one Part. You've got to save the whole Program. Further...ALL of the factory preset patches that come on the XA, are Programs. There's no separate factory preset "Parts" that you can individually access. Many preset Programs have only a couple of Parts turned on (making sound)....and THAT's the whole Program. So whether its a single part, or a big complex 8 part multi-timbral multi-channel template....either is saved as a Program. Which, honestly is similar to a Combi on a Korg. And to complicate matters further...theres ONE sequencer pattern tied to each Program. So this ONE sequencer pattern of 64 steps can only address the 8 Parts INSIDE THAT Program (well, it CAN address whatever external midi devices you might have...but that's different of course).

11) Lastly, its important to consider that the JDXA has, at any given time in any given Program, either ~8~ internal parts OR ~5~ internal parts...depending on whether you're (manually) using the analog Parts as 4 separate mono-synths...or by pressing the Poly Stack button...using the 4 analog parts as a 4-voice polyphonic Part. If you do the latter...then all analog parts default to Part/Track 1.....and act in unison (not unison mode...just "together"). So, in Poly Stack mode...all recording for the 4-voice poly analog synth Part happens on Part1/Track1. Parts 2-4 (and Tracks 2-4, unless you manually change their midi channels so they point elsewhere) are disabled.

I know that's a lot of information....but there you have a more concise and in depth understanding of the JDXA sequencer...far beyond what the Roland documentation will give you. If there are any questions, or if my descriptions require clarification....please post and I'll do my best to answer.
Hey Ron!

You have already done a great deal to explain the JD-XAs functionalities.
But could you by any chance create a video where you show how you connect/setup/use the JD-XA as the master keyboard in a setup involving external gear which you control using Midi and the sequencer (midi data) from the the JD-XA?

Btw. Hopefully Roland finds you and starts sponsoring your efforts ;)
lgn

Post by lgn »

RonF wrote: 1. The JDXA has ONE pattern associated with each ONE program. There is no "pattern chaining" or "song mode" on the JDXA. Without turning to EXTERNAL means (notably, the use of program change commands, along with midi realtime Start commands), there is currently no way to automate the chaining of multiple patterns, or moving from one program to another without the sequencer stopping. Changing programs will automatically cause the sequencer to stop (thus the need for a concurrent midi-start command if you send the unit a program change command, as a work-around).
That's for me personally the biggest drawback of this great synth and every couple of month I check back if there's a new firmware addressing this. But there wasn't a new firmware update since 1.5. and unfortunately I get the impression there will never be.

I also thought that a subsequent start command to a pc could do the trick. Did anyone testing this? Is it technically working fine? And is there a way to make a TR-8s do this I haven't figured out?
o.durmusoglu

Post by o.durmusoglu »

tomoe97 wrote:Glad I could help!

This post is amazing. But, it would be perfect for the ones like me to understand how to make chaining thing this way with a video (perhaps youtube one).