Sequencer - software update request

Forum for the JD-XA.
Venn Diagram

Sequencer - software update request

Post by Venn Diagram »

I have mentioned this via Twitter to Paul McCabe @RolandCanada after seeing the new Boutique synths.
How would everyone feel or view this as a massive sequencer improvement - for me it would be invaluable.

Plays Modes -

1. FWD - start to end and repeat
2. BKWD - play in revers from end to start
3. ALT - alternate - i.e.: ping pong (fwd/bkwd with a series of motif based trigger options)
4. Skip Step - any inactive steps are not played as rests but skipped so the next note plays (if this could be activated and allow for the muting and unmuting of sequencers steps as it plays you'd get some great on the fly variation)
5.Random - plays steps in a random fashion or add a probability option on the other play modes to do so.
6.Global transpose mode allowing sequences to be transposed live via the keyboard and also enable transpose to be disengaged for any tracks that have percussive sounds active.

I can live with the idea of a the sequence data being tied to patterns myself but having more flexibility within a sequence itself would be ideal, especially if using the JD-XA's CV/GATE outputs where I would like to have the option of sequencer my Kilpatrick Modular with the sort of trickery I'd expect from a CV/GATE sequencer.

Any thought or other additions ?
Redrain68

Re: Sequencer - software update request

Post by Redrain68 »

so we have lost 8 seq. track ?

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=50825
Venn Diagram

Post by Venn Diagram »

Redrain68 wrote:so we have lost 8 seq. track ?

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=50825

You don't lose anything - the idea is to give the sequencer more play back options than bog standard start to end within a 4 bard context.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

I can't explain me very well, sorry :

in the feature of the jdxa there are 16 track of sequencer, I can find/record only the 8 internal track but I can't find/record the other 8 (from 9 -to 16), some ideas ? please..

roberto
jbejarano

Post by jbejarano »

I've heard some lamenting about the lack of a sequence chaining ability or "song mode" whereby you could develop several different sequences for a program and chain them together to have the sequencer essentially render an entire song.

For example, play sequence 1 three times, then play sequence 2 once, then go back to sequence 1 three more times, then sequence 2 once, then play a bridge I made in sequence 3 twice, then a transition sequence 4 once, then sequence 1 eight times while I fade out.

If they're going to perform a sequencer functionality upgrade, I'd love for them to add that. That said, +1 on all of Venn's suggestions.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

From Roland site :

"Intuitive 16-track pattern sequencer (8 tracks for internal parts, 8 tracks for external parts) for fast creation of songs and loops"

ok , I don't find the 8 track for external parts !
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

All I ask is that the 16 track sequencer in the JDXA has in the future:

Chain/song mode
Ability to transpose
Ability to go from one sequence program to the next with out the sequencer stopping.

Even the old Roland MC 505's 808's and 909's had that ability....not so sure about transposing on the fly?
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Redrain68 wrote:in the feature of the jdxa there are 16 track of sequencer, I can find/record only the 8 internal track but I can't find/record the other 8 (from 9 -to 16), some ideas ? please..
Enter MIDI CTRL mode, by pressing the MIDI CTRL button. You can now use the Part Select buttons will select tracks 9-16.
Redrain68

Post by Redrain68 »

rsaintjohn wrote:
Redrain68 wrote:in the feature of the jdxa there are 16 track of sequencer, I can find/record only the 8 internal track but I can't find/record the other 8 (from 9 -to 16), some ideas ? please..
Enter MIDI CTRL mode, by pressing the MIDI CTRL button. You can now use the Part Select buttons will select tracks 9-16.
Thank you very very mutch !! I must try !
other 2 questions :

1) After selected external track in MIDI CTRL mode can I return in normal mode and record external track ? or I must stay in MIDI CTRL MODE ?

2) MIDI CTRL MODE settings are memorized per Patch or Globally ??

thank you again
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

i copied this from the ROLAND JD-XA UPDATE PETITION thread
The sequencer should be ONE point on the update list,
wich should be kept to 4 or 5 main points, as coorec suggested

here we go, point 1: "SEQUENCER FEATURES REQUESTS "
collected from various threads:

including
- non stop live usability , also for the external tracks
-fix pattern change gap
-longer patterns (please at least 16bars, 24 would be better),
-Chain/song mode
- Ability to go from one sequence program to the next with out the sequencer stopping
- Plays Modes -
(1. FWD - start to end and repeat
2. BKWD - play in revers from end to start
3. ALT - alternate - i.e.: ping pong (fwd/bkwd with a series of motif based trigger options)
4. Skip Step - any inactive steps are not played as rests but skipped so the next note plays (if this could be activated and allow for the muting and unmuting of sequencers steps as it plays you'd get some great on the fly variation)
5.Random - plays steps in a random fashion or add a probability option on the other play modes to do so.)
-Global transpose mode allowing sequences to be transposed live via the keyboard and also enable transpose to be disengaged for any tracks that have percussive sounds active.

anything else for the sequencer thout could be done and is not unrealistic?

please copy the list and append your feature request