Roland JD-XA Wish List

Forum for the JD-XA.
DWareham02

Roland JD-XA Wish List

Post by DWareham02 »

A "nice to have feature" on the JD-XA would be a dimmer or brightness adjustment in the System Menu to dim and adjust the red border LED indicators on the panel. I find that they are so bright, it's hard to read the title for each control. An adjustment would be nice. They have a contrast control for the LED text panel. An adjustment for the feature borders would be nice too. I hope that is in the next release of the JD-XA software upgrade.
windsmuse

Re: Roland JD-XA Wish List

Post by windsmuse »

I totally agree. I hope they will issue a white one similar to the JD-Xi.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

DWareham02 wrote:A "nice to have feature" on the JD-XA would be a dimmer or brightness adjustment in the System Menu to dim and adjust the red border LED indicators on the panel. I find that they are so bright, it's hard to read the title for each control. An adjustment would be nice. They have a contrast control for the LED text panel. An adjustment for the feature borders would be nice too. I hope that is in the next release of the JD-XA software upgrade.
I finally just turned off all the lighting around the knobs and sliders.
DWareham02

Post by DWareham02 »

richardbates1 wrote:
DWareham02 wrote:A "nice to have feature" on the JD-XA would be a dimmer or brightness adjustment in the System Menu to dim and adjust the red border LED indicators on the panel. I find that they are so bright, it's hard to read the title for each control. An adjustment would be nice. They have a contrast control for the LED text panel. An adjustment for the feature borders would be nice too. I hope that is in the next release of the JD-XA software upgrade.
I finally just turned off all the lighting around the knobs and sliders.
I know that is an option today. But I like the lights as when I'm editing different parts and tracks the options that aren't active go out and only the active controls stay lit. I like that.. Helps me figure out what I need to do to modify the sound(s).

I sent my message to Roland and they forwarded my thoughts to the Product Management Team. It's worth a try.
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

More than 4 bars on the sequencer! The jd-xa has beautiful filters. So give us more bars to mess around with those when using the sequencer!

I do like the sequencer, but it's frustrating that it only has 4 bars. Especially when you press "pattern length" and see those 4 out of 16 buttons litt. It's so close.. But yet so far away.
Coorec

Post by Coorec »

It would be nice if we could store MIDI CTRL setups permanently, so they dont change when switching the program.
A few of my Racksynths (including Roland ones) can't change their CC implementation. Since you can change the CC numbers for the knobs and faders on the JD-XA it would be nice if they were not changing everytime i switch a program.
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

horisonten wrote:More than 4 bars on the sequencer! The jd-xa has beautiful filters. So give us more bars to mess around with those when using the sequencer!

I do like the sequencer, but it's frustrating that it only has 4 bars. Especially when you press "pattern length" and see those 4 out of 16 buttons litt. It's so close.. But yet so far away.
Oh I forgot the most important sequencer feature/function...
Queuing unmute! So that the shift+select part does not unmute the track straight away, but on the next 1!
Coorec

Post by Coorec »

Using the (unused) controls of the analog section to choose sampled waveforms for the digital engine would be a nice workflow improvement.

Osc 1 Crossmod for example. Toggling steps of 10 and steps of 1 with shift.

Or

Osc 2 Waveform selector could do steps of 100's. Osc 2 Pitch or fine could do the finer selection.

You get the idea. We need a knob for waveforms.
horisonten

Post by horisonten »

horisonten wrote:
horisonten wrote:More than 4 bars on the sequencer! The jd-xa has beautiful filters. So give us more bars to mess around with those when using the sequencer!

Oh I forgot the most important sequencer feature/function...
Queuing unmute! So that the shift+select part does not unmute the track straight away, but on the next 1!
Another Sequencer wish!

Ability to program so that the sequencer starts immediately upon program change!
This would make the sequencer more useful when the JD-XA is used with external gear.
At the moment It is possible to change the programs on the JD-XA via program changes from external gear. But every program change makes the sequencer stop. So the easisest way would be if it was possible to program each individual program with a "start sequencer"-message to be included.
mpraet

Post by mpraet »

we have payd a good price for THE FLAGSHIP so in other brands a flag ship is schipped with a nice VST and/or editor ,and that's wat I suggest here :-)
especialy for the unther the hood functions
F5D

Post by F5D »

My wishlist, also sent to Roland Scandinavia earlier:

Wish no 1: Please allow adjusting the panel LED brightness in the menu, for example 25 %, 50 %, 75 %, 100 %.

JD-XA bug: Occasional corrupt sound due to custom wheel assignments staying in memory when changing sound programs (Analog Engine sounds)

To replicate:

1) Create three different sound programs with the analog sound engine and save them in consequent locations, for example Bank A program locations 1,2 and 3. The sounds could be 1 osc saw bass, 2 osc PWM strings and a 2 osc sync plug lead with osc 2 pitch much higher than osc 1 to give it a metallic clanck (to differentiate them from each other somehow).

2) Make custom wheel assignments for both Wheel 1 and Wheel 2 for all three forementioned sounds using the command: Shift + move wheel (to select wheel) and then press enter (all controls start to blink), move the destination control knob a little and press enter again to complete assignment. Save the sounds after changing the wheel assignments and select another sound and do different assignments for it. To reveal the bug, you need to use different types of assignments with the wheels. If they are all the same, the consecutive sounds will play just normally due to same wheel assignments. Use for example these assignments:

-For sound 1: Wheel 1 -> Drive level (will be 50 % by default), Wheel 2 -> Filter cutoff, save the sound in location 1
-For sound 2: Wheel 1 -> Osc 2 pitch (no need to change), Wheel 2 -> Noise mix (or aux level), save the sound in location 2
-For sound 3: Wheel 1 -> Drive level, Wheel 2 -> Cross modulation level, save the sound in location 3

3) Now, do not touch the wheels at this point, but select any other sound, for example sound 5 in the same bank and after that select sound 1.

4) With sound 1 selected, play it a little bit, do not touch the wheels. Listen to how it sounds. This is the correct sound.

5) Select sound 2 and play again, do not touch the wheels. Listen to how it sounds. This is the correct sound.

6) Select sound 3 and play, do not touch the wheels. Listen to how it sounds. This is the correct sound.

At this point, you have not touched the wheels, next comes the bug:

7) Select sound 1 and play it a little bit while moving wheels 1 and 2 to change the sound. Leave wheel 2 in the middle position for example. Do not save the sound.

8) Select sound 2 and play it a little bit, it should sound different compared to point (5). Play with the wheels a little bit to change the sound, again leaving the wheel 2 around middle position

9) Select sound 3 and play. It should sound different from point (6).

To “solve the problem, go through points 7-9 in such a way that when you play with the wheels and select next sound, for example sound 2 after 1, select any other sound in between without touching any controls and then come back to sound 2. Then the JD-XA “forgets” the assignments of the last sound program and the selected sound actually sounds correctly.

My guess is that the custom wheel assignments stay in the memory, when you select the next sound, but if you do not touch the wheels and yet select another sound, the buffer will get empty and the wheels will control the final selected sound correctly. The problem is most pronounced, when the wheels are assigned to different types of parameters, for example Drive level, cutoff or noise level. The reason why this bug does not show up with the factory programs is that nearly all of them have the pitch bend assigned to pitch and wheel 2 to nothing or just vibrato.

JD-XA Bug report 2: It is not possible to assign the wheels to all blinking parameters using the shift + wheel + enter + move a control + enter. For example, many of the fx section controls do not respond to this assignment.
Percivale

Post by Percivale »

Do you think Roland could include the Drum sequencing like how they did for the Xi?
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

This is just wild wish but I would hope that Roland would come out with a JDXA module that can be poly chained to the JDXA keyboard so the JDXA could be expanded to an 8 voice analog synth and 128 voice digital synth?
Like the way the JP-08 is poly chained to another JP-08 to create an 8 voice synth?
FirstAxis

Post by FirstAxis »

I wonder how difficult would it be to allow adjusting the pulse width of the saw wave?
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

FirstAxis wrote:I wonder how difficult would it be to allow adjusting the pulse width of the saw wave?
You can't adjust the pulse width of a Saw waveform on any analog synth - it's impossible. ;)