Forum for the JD-XA.
Myrk-

Re: New Front Panel Overlay coming for JD-XA

Post by Myrk- »

This one?
JDBoy

Post by JDBoy »

Do we take it the official covers are not as high quality as the SG ones? are they the same thickness, material etc?

Seeing the new system 8 has those brushed aluminum panels just like I was asking for 'add on' stickers/replacement panels for JD-XA makes me a bit sick, esp as the system 8 is both a cheaper and far less impressive "synthesizer".

Still, at least I'm glad to have the XA over the System 8, don't care what improvements and end cap add-ons they have introduced for it. They'll never have the XA's sound/power! :)
prophonic

Post by prophonic »

@synthgraphics: Jamie, are you doing another run of JD-XA overlays, your website says they are sold out.

thanks.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

prophonic wrote:@synthgraphics: Jamie, are you doing another run of JD-XA overlays, your website says they are sold out.
I don't have any at the moment, but I could make a few more if people want them. I think a lot of people have been holding off to see what Roland's plan is with theirs.

After watching the install video it looks like the same plastic material they are using for the System-1 overlays, I have the SH-2 overlay for mine. If that's the case then they are thin plastic, but the quality is good. Not sure how well the 4 little sticker tabs will work, seems to me you would get dust and gunk under them after awhile??

Cheers! Jamie

PS. Pretty excited about the System-8, I ordered one! Will be great paired up with the JD-XA and will condense my setup with Jupiter-8, Juno-106, and SH-2 all in ONE keyboard with the ability to split and layer the 4 different engines will be very welcomed!!! :) I still have and use a Juno-106 and SH-2 (Jupiter-8 died like 15 years ago sadly and was not repairable)
prophonic

Post by prophonic »

SynthGraphics wrote: I don't have any at the moment, but I could make a few more if people want them. I think a lot of people have been holding off to see what Roland's plan is with theirs.
Sounds great, i would be interested. I'll check out the Roland overlay and let you know.
What happened to your Jupiter-8 that it became unrepairable, transport accident ? They are sturdy beasts and should survive WW3 and parts are not unobtainable (touch wood).
len73

Post by len73 »

Hi Jamie,

I would be interested to get your version. Do you think a new batch would be possible until the end of the year ?

Let me know.

Kind regards,

Len
baz55

Post by baz55 »

SynthGraphics wrote: I don't have any at the moment, but I could make a few more if people want them.
Are you still planning to do an overlay for the JD-Xi? I'd be buying one if you do it.
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

len73 wrote:Hi Jamie,

I would be interested to get your version. Do you think a new batch would be possible until the end of the year ?

Let me know.

Kind regards,

Len
Yeah, if I get 10-12 people to commit I can do another batch for sure. My fear is getting stuck with a bunch of out of pocket expensive overlays that may never get sold.

I kinda scrappd the JD-Xi, seems no one was really that interested or Roland would have made one as well, lol ;)
len73

Post by len73 »

I perfectly understsnd your point.

Would be interesting if you could open a kind of "pre-order" for both synths.

I will order for both (JDXi and JDXa). Have been waiting for the JDXi for quite a while now (you posted some sample on FB)

Just let me know how to proceed !

Best regards

Len
blewis_13

Post by blewis_13 »

FWIW, the Synthgraphics overlays are exceptional quality. Very high quality product. When I first put them on my first impression was that I could finally see everything! In a standing position, there are only two settings hidden from view - the LP3 and HPF filter labels. Everything else is perfectly readable and not obscured.
baz55

Post by baz55 »

len73 wrote: Would be interesting if you could open a kind of "pre-order" for both synths.
Yes that would be great, given the chance I'd pre-order a JD-Xi overlay.

@SynthGraphics:
How many orders would you need for one batch for the JD-Xi?
If you also mention it on GS I'm sure there would be no problem in getting at least 10-12 orders (probably more).
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I'd assume its not just the numbers, but the man hours required to accurately measure and draw up a new faceplate to suit the JD-Xi... It would have to be totally commercially viable unless he wanted one for himself :P
baz55

Post by baz55 »

Myrk- wrote:I'd assume its not just the numbers, but the man hours required to accurately measure and draw up a new faceplate to suit the JD-Xi
I'm under the assumption that he already did that, I saw the designs of the JD-Xi overlays posted on gearslutz (or was it on this forum? can't remember for sure where, but I definitely saw them) a while ago.
len73

Post by len73 »

This is correct. If i remember well Jamie published some teasers on his Facebook page Here's the link --> https://www.facebook.com/synthgraphics/ ... =3&theater.

Job seems to be done on the overlay of the JDXi.

I would order for both synths (JDXi and JDXa) if the orders are opened.

Hope Jamie will read this message...
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

Well it seems people still want my version, been getting lots of requests so I'll do another production run! :)

Main complaint I hear is they don't the fact they only have 4 little tabs to stick them down and still can't read the labels.

http://www.synthgraphics.com/Roland_JD-XA_panel.html

Cheers!
Jamie