New Front Panel Overlay coming for JD-XA

Forum for the JD-XA.
len73

Re: New Front Panel Overlay coming for JD-XA

Post by len73 »

Just ordered mine @synthgraphics ! Thank you Jamie for producing another batch !
24track

Post by 24track »

24track wrote:At this stage, more than three months since I paid for my order, I fear I have lost my money and won't ever see the overlays.
For the record, I finally received my overlays from Synthgraphics. I installed them this weekend, and they make the JD XA look like a professional keyboard instead of a plastic toy.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer thats one aspect I feel Jamie didn't make clear when ordering was that you have to wait until there are a certain number of people before he buys in the materials or something (I know he also had a failure on his zund cutter/plotter which delayed stuff). I also waited about 3-4 months - the end look is really fantastic, but I don't feel that is a justification for the delay :P
baz55

Post by baz55 »

TBH, I wouldn't mind waiting 3-4 months if that meant I could get overlays for the JD-Xi!
len73

Post by len73 »

baz55 wrote:TBH, I wouldn't mind waiting 3-4 months if that meant I could get overlays for the JD-Xi!
I would also be interested in an overlay for the baby JDXi...
tomoe97

Post by tomoe97 »

Just installed the free Roland overlays for the JD-XA. As far as I'm concerned, they look great and the price is right. The free overlays provide a huge improvement in legibility and reduction in reflected glare, fingerprints, etc. Thank you, Roland!
SynthGraphics

Post by SynthGraphics »

tomoe97 wrote:Just installed the free Roland overlays for the JD-XA. As far as I'm concerned, they look great and the price is right. The free overlays provide a huge improvement in legibility and reduction in reflected glare, fingerprints, etc. Thank you, Roland!
I received the overlay from Roland, not dogging it but it's not same level as my product. It's more of a temp 'quick fix' solution. I wonder how you keep dirt and grime from getting underneath it since it only sticks down in the very corners??

Again, not dogging it. My product is different. Theirs is a very thin plastic. Mine is a permanent solution with all Shift functions labeled and color. Think Prophet-08 and Sub 37 front panels to get the sense of what mine look and feel like.
Artmuzz

Post by Artmuzz »

tomoe97 wrote:Just installed the free Roland overlays for the JD-XA. As far as I'm concerned, they look great and the price is right. The free overlays provide a huge improvement in legibility and reduction in reflected glare, fingerprints, etc. Thank you, Roland!
I just ordered the free overlays from Roland UK. One question is did you have to wait in for the postman to receive overlays or does the postman just post them through the letterbox?
glynbo

Post by glynbo »

Artmuzz wrote:
I just ordered the free overlays from Roland UK. One question is did you have to wait in for the postman to receive overlays or does the postman just post them through the letterbox?
Have you had a confirned order yet mate, last I heard from Roland UK was an end of October delivery to them!

Cheers, Glyn.
Artmuzz

Post by Artmuzz »

glynbo wrote:
Artmuzz wrote:
Have you had a confirned order yet mate, last I heard from Roland UK was an end of October delivery to them!

Cheers, Glyn.
According to the email I got from Roland UK, they will post me the JD-XA overlays once they receive another email from me with a copy of the receipt and JD-XA serial number.
JD Knight

Post by JD Knight »

What's wrong with Roland UK? What do they need receipt and serial for? They should be glad you are using a JD-XA. Jesus...
baz55

Post by baz55 »

SynthGraphics wrote:I received the overlay from Roland, not dogging it but it's not same level as my product. It's more of a temp 'quick fix' solution. I wonder how you keep dirt and grime from getting underneath it since it only sticks down in the very corners??

Again, not dogging it. My product is different. Theirs is a very thin plastic. Mine is a permanent solution with all Shift functions labeled and color. Think Prophet-08 and Sub 37 front panels to get the sense of what mine look and feel like.
Hi, I'm still interested in the JD-Xi overlay from you as I agree that Roland's overlay is not very good quality.

Please let us know here when you set up pre-orders for the JD-Xi overlay on your web site so that I can place my order. Thanks!
bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 »

SynthGraphics wrote:
I received the overlay from Roland, not dogging it but it's not same level as my product. It's more of a temp 'quick fix' solution. I wonder how you keep dirt and grime from getting underneath it since it only sticks down in the very corners??

I think yours look better, what with the legend below the faders etc, but Rolands do a pretty good job ... I'm just a bit cagey (and maybe others are) about getting the stick down wrong .. If yours are a one shot hit .. and the angle is slightly wrong .. maybe would put peeps off ?
analogharmony

Post by analogharmony »

I just ordered a JDXA and am also interested in the quality overlays from synthgraphics. Please let me know if/when you do another run!
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

I just received my overlays from Roland Scandinavia free of charge. I had to contact the shop from where I bought the JD-XA, and they phoned Roland to send me the overlays. It took one week from the phone call until I received them.

They are quite excellent - thin and flexible sheets of plastic with clear and nice lettering in white and silver. The display windows are covered with transparent plastic. The only concern I have is that I suppose that dust and dirt might creep in under them, since they are only attached at the corners. If they don't end up being perfectly aligned at first attempt, they can be easily repoisitioned. On the other hand, maybe I will not attach them using the adhesive points at all, just keep them on with tiny dabs of blu-tak or something, so they can be removed if I would later want to sell the instrument to someone who absolutely wants it in original condition.